Pics that make you smile

WTH ??? too lazy to make a circle.

i see your suitcase and raise you a backpack:

a3Kj667_460s.jpg

I am pretty sure that's how many people feel about the back pack when they go thru special forces training.
There is a TV program here where regular people go thru special forces training, the guys are falling left and right, but also a surprise or two.
But lets see how it goes, so far they are just thru warm up week, Danish special forces are not renowned for nothing so it get much harder.

Leave those backpags at your border and enemy will not dare to cross it:eek:

I learned something today. Apparently "millennials" were born between 1982 and 2004. I don't see the logic in that (I had assumed it referred to people born this millennium) but it does at least explain why people get away with using the term in such a hateful way.

And I've never thought of people of that age being especially ignorant. Just wait until people born this millennium turn into adults, I think they are going to be very different indeed in many ways.

Anyway, should this make me smile?
Sadly these days, I find this level of helplessness easy to believe of people of all ages.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

it's funny... i've been watching the original star trek episodes off and on, and noticed that they mix imperial and metric units quite often. stuff like...

"distance to the object is 800 million kilometers and closing"
(15 seconds later)
"distance is now 100 million miles, still closing"

i hate the imperial system - always have. for me, it was taught right alongside metric starting from kindergarten in the early 80s. but try to buy a measuring tape or any carpentry tools in the US that's metric. even simple things like chisels are made with imperial widths. saw blades are 9" diameter to fit properly, and of course lumber... i don't see that changing real soon. a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood/sheetrock/etc or a 2x4 piece of lumber is much easier to say than 1.2m x 2.4m... though 2"x4" is pretty close to 5x10cm (especially considering the fact that a 2x4 is not actually 2x4). not to mention the hassle of trying to deal with different thread pitches - some imperial and metric ones are close enough to let you screw the nut onto the stud, but then it will either bind up and ruin the threads, or will easily strip when torqued down due to the slight difference in diameter.

and car tires... so many mm wide / some percent of the width to get sidewall height / wheel diameter in inches (but demarked with an R, which usually means radius). it's like they made it confusing just to mess with people. why not say 235/140/406) instead of 235/60r16? they already list wheel bolt patterns in both metric and imperial (5x114.3mm = 5x4.5" for example) and some bolt patterns they don't even list in inches - 4x100 for example.

US market cars also have speedos marked in both MPH and KM/H, so that we don't have to do the conversion in our head if we happen to drive to canada or mexico. but i've only ever seen metric speed limit signs right near the big airport here: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.977...4!1suYeN706SKxzOw29cAhaaZg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 - but even that's inconsistent. some other speed limit signs in the airport are MPH only.

in the kitchen, all our measuring cups/spoons have both imperial and metric markings, but all our pots are marked in quarts (not that it's super critical for things like soup pots, esp since a quart is pretty close to a liter, but still)... at the grocery store you buy milk in gallons, quarts or pints, but you buy soda and (most) water in 1L, 2L, 3L or 500mL bottles (though it's still a 12 fl.oz can)... and water can also be bought in gallon+ containers. fresh produce and meat are sold by the pound/ounce. yet a lot of the frozen stuff i see is more often marked with a nice round number of grams instead of ounces.

i HAVE noticed that some things traditionally (in the US at least) measured in inches have been completely replaced with metric - specifically headphone jack sizes. most people used to say 1/8" and 1/4" but now almost everyone says 3.5mm and 7mm. and even US automakers are finally using almost 100% metric fasteners, so that's nice.

then again, at the rate we're (not) going, by the time we've fully colonized pluto, the US MIGHT have finally completely eliminated the imperial system.

Last edited:
We have more or less unearthed my friends imperial nightmare.
chevy30%.jpg

On the other side of the 2-3 car lenght garage are more chevy parts you can see now we have cleaned out the floor to rafters mess, so only parts left that we will have to move too.
Chevy parts30%.jpg

Last edited:
At the rate we're (not) going, by the time we've fully colonized pluto, the US MIGHT have finally completely eliminated the imperial system.

By then we will probably be using Klingon measurements. :D

Klingon Measurements:

area
A morgh is an area of 27 square 'uj. This equals to 3.27 square meter (m²).

1 morgh = 27 square 'uj

measurement.png

Units
weight

A known unit of weight is cheb. A cheb is defined as "around five pounds". Okrand said that this is 2.25 kg, but that should not be taken too literally, as it was only a conversion of the "around five pounds". As one pound is defined as exactly 0.45359237 kilograms, 5 pounds is 2.267 kilogram (2) So a cheb is around that number, not exactly.

The larger unit is cheb'a', which constist of 9 cheb. This is based on the Bird Of Prey Poster, on which 8.7 kt equals 375.000 cheb'a'.

length
The most common unit of length is called 'uj. In KGT, this is described as "about 35 cm" but it comes to 34.83 cm.

volume
The unit of volume is tlho'ren. It is not exactly defined how much one tlho'ren is, but it seems to be in the quart/liter range.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DashcamDPR Off Topic 4
DrekiTech Off Topic 2
Back