Disappointing 612GW

kev_wilts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
612GW
Hi all

First post here but I just wanted to try get more information on peoples experiences of the 612GW

I’ve just upgraded my 512 to the 612 and, to be fair, it’s not that great for me. Has anyone else had experience correcting these issues?

1. The video quality is poor, ok it’s 4K but it’s so blurry and bouncy I actually feel a bit queasy watching it back.

2. I cannot for the life of me get my 612 to successfully either transfer files via the WiFi or watch clips streamed. Each time it takes so long I give up or it does! What’s going on? One of the reasons I upgraded was for the WiFi transfer to the phone. I have an iPhone 8 Plus running latest firmware. It’s so frustrating at not being successful I’ve gone back to card in the computer retrieval.

3. If I hit the protect button it gives me 30 seconds of the clip. No option to change it either. I compile my clips into YouTube videos and I’m finding it hard to work with just 30 seconds! Surely there must be a way of giving the user the choice like how long the segments are on the loop record.

4. Low level contrast/dark clips. Now I’m hasty to mention this as the winter sun in the uk van plays havoc with lense flair and light levels, but this thing records DARK! I’m going to have to mess with the colour levels when I edit, but am I missing a setting somewhere?

5. Night recording. Ugh! Grainy as hell and nowhere near enough exposure to see anything outside the beam of the headlight. The 512 did a better job

I’m seriously disappointed with this thing so far. The worst is the blurry wavy type effect on playback, I almost feel drunk! There must be some way of reducing motion correction as it’s almost gimble like but in the worst possible way!

Looking forward to anyone’s experience of the 612gw, and I noticed nextbase float around a lot. Hey nextbase gimme a call - I’d love my YouTube videos to use this thing but at the moment I wouldn’t say it’s any better than the 512.

Change my mind or educate me - I’m ready! Lol

Cheers guys
Kev

If it's blurry it may be that the lens has not been focused correctly during production, you'd need to get it exchanged if that's the case

Wobbly picture may indicate your mount isn't solid

You really need these two basic things sorted before trying to assess the performance any further

Thanks for replying jokiing

I’m pretty certain everything is as tight as it can be. When the car is stationary it’s perfect clear, although still a little dark.

Try a tiny blob of BluTak on the ball before inserting and tightening. That ploy reduced my 412 vibration considerably.

Thanks kremmen- I’ll try that! Anything to make things a bit more clearer.

I’ll try get a demo clip up today to show what I mean about the effect.

Cheers
Kev

My guess is that because the 612 is double the weight of the 412 it needs to be secured better or the pendulum effect kicks in on less than perfect roads.

Regarding question 4.(dark clips) I'm hoping that NB will allow us to adjust our exposure settings with smaller increments (.3/ .7) which should make it slightly lighter. (412gw post)

Hello @kev_wilts

Sorry to read you're experiencing this.

1) Could you send us in a file for us to take a look and help diagnose a little better?

It will be too large to send through an email so please use the service that www.wetransfer.com offer, you can send up to 2Gb to us free of charge.

Use our support@nextbase.co.uk as the recipient and please write in the message box to allow us to understand why you are sending the file in.

2) What version of the App are you on? We have just released an update for this.

3) Yes the files are so enormous on the 4K camera that if we were to protect the whole file 1/2/3 minutes it would fill up the card too quickly, only 30 seconds gets protected when you press the button.

4) + 5) As above please send in file so we can take a look.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hello @kev_wilts

Sorry to read you're experiencing this.

1) Could you send us in a file for us to take a look and help diagnose a little better?

It will be too large to send through an email so please use the service that www.wetransfer.com offer, you can send up to 2Gb to us free of charge.

Use our support@nextbase.co.uk as the recipient and please write in the message box to allow us to understand why you are sending the file in.

2) What version of the App are you on? We have just released an update for this.

3) Yes the files are so enormous on the 4K camera that if we were to protect the whole file 1/2/3 minutes it would fill up the card too quickly, only 30 seconds gets protected when you press the button.

4) + 5) As above please send in file so we can take a look.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Tiffany, thanks for the reply! I’m on the road at the mo but I’ll get that video upload for you this evening.

With regards to the app I am on the latest update now (which did solve the file downloading issue) but now I get almost full green screen when viewing any clips(attached file). The live view is another problem but I won’t bring any more issues into the equation just yet!
Image.pngImage.pngImage.pngImage.pngImage.pngImage.pngImage.png

With regards the file protect size - I do get that file size would fill up the card quick, but surely even an option to choose clip size would make sense. Particularly if you have an adequate sized mmc.

I’m sure that in the event of needing a clip(which I’ve had before on the 512) for insurance purposes or, in a lot of my cases, recording roads for work that 30seconds (is it 15s either side of the protect key being pressed?) isn’t often enough time to get a feeling of traffic conditions etc or even suffient reaction time, or even the option of just saving it for work purposes. Sometimes it’s not safe to press the button for a few more moments then you’ve missed the timed slot. I had the very thing a few weeks ago with a car driving up the wrong way up a one way street. By the time I had looked up(I was parked) and hit the button it only got it just about to pass me.

The 512 saved the selected clip time(1/2/3 mins) for me which was fantastic for my work. I survey roads ready to lay fibre optic cable and it was really handy doing video surveys on the dash cam to review them back at the office.

Anyway I’ll get that video up for you. I’ll even put an edited clip on it too so you can see the issues with exposure I am getting.

Many thanks for your reply!

Kev

Yes of course get back whenever you can - I'll take a look.

I will double check the App as I was under the impression that was fixed with the latest update :confused:.

The image quality (especially night time) has been improved with the latest firmware R05.1, what version are you on?

The file protection system saves 10 seconds before you hit the button and 20 seconds after, the 4/512GW files are smaller than the 612GW (per minute). An alternative would be manually going in and protecting the whole file later on when you have time to pull over. I agree - in any dangerous situation never take hands off the wheel to press save, always wait until after and go into playback mode to protect manually.

Great I'll let you know as soon as I have the file.

Exposure is often because the cam is tilted a bit too high and exposing for the sky. Mine is set to include a reasonable amount of the car interior - that helps with darker areas.

@Paul - thanks for that - i've got it angled down as i've experienced this on the 512gw. Any more and i think ill get the glare from the built in satnav.

@Tiffany - video on it's way to you!

Many thanks
Kev

What vehicle is the camera in? A diesel?

Have you tried the camera in a different car?

Hi capture

Yes it’s a diesel. I had my last one in it too though, that’s the problem is that the 512 was superb in it but the 612 just isn’t as good as I expected, mainly in the wobble effect and the exposure.

I’m hoping it will be cos i loved my last nextbase and I really want to love this too!

Cheers
Kev

Hi capture

Yes it’s a diesel. I had my last one in it too though, that’s the problem is that the 512 was superb in it but the 612 just isn’t as good as I expected, mainly in the wobble effect and the exposure.

I’m hoping it will be cos i loved my last nextbase and I really want to love this too!

Cheers
Kev
Without seeing a video of what’s happening I can only guess how it looks. I have seen others with diesels vehicles have this issue. They state the same as you, that their last camera didn’t do this, but their new one does. Again, it may be a different issue than what I am visualizing. I’d be curious to see if the wobbly effect goes away when used in another car.

Hello @kev_wilts

Viewed the files thank you so much - the 5.1 will definitely help with your nighttime footage.

The DVR is pointed too high though, are you able to aim it down. At the minute you've got around 40% road, the best we've found is 75% road.

Are you using the suction mount or the sticky mount?

Have a look at the clip below for the wobbling example

The clip show it from about 00:24 to 00:45 but you can make it out when on the move too

Hello @kev_wilts

Viewed the files thank you so much - the 5.1 will definitely help with your nighttime footage.

The DVR is pointed too high though, are you able to aim it down. At the minute you've got around 40% road, the best we've found is 75% road.

Are you using the suction mount or the sticky mount?

Hi Tiffany

Using the sucky mount. I can try angling down more but then I'm worried about internal glare from the built in nav (Vauxhall Mokka). Might give the sticky one a try and see if i get a better place for it.

theres gonna be a lot of dash showing if i angle it down!

well, i'll try it, but that doesn't explain the wobble - apologies i didn't get to include it yesterday but the video above demonstrates. I will try it again with latest FW too

Cheers for your time looking at this Tiffany! Much appreciated!

kevin

Hi,

Ah right OK if that is the best for your particular vehicle then leave it there. The sticky mount is usually better.

That wobble when you're sat at the lights is the frequency of your engine at tick over revs matching the natural frequency of the dash cam.

The dash cam isn't moving on the mount at this time, it doesn't happen when you're driving around just when stationary and it may not happen on another vehicle.

Can you let me know if the night time improves with the new firmware?

You're welcome.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alarm man 612GW 25
D 612GW 9
L 612GW 12
megamih 612GW 20
Rickn55 612GW 7
Back