GitUp F1 Review

Most surprising thing for a 4K camera is that it doesn't seem to get hot, and it never shuts down due to heat like other 4K cameras, the IR thermometer says that my 0906 dashcam gets hotter!

At what ambient temperature?

The F1 doesn't seem to get any hotter when recording 4K than my Mobius 1 or Mobius 2 cameras recording 1080p

Last edited:
At what ambient temperature?
I was measuring at 15C ambient temperature, but I based my comparison on the temperature increase from ambient, not the actual temperatures.

I wouldn't recommend using it in a parked car with all the windows closed in mid summer, or as a dashcam in central Australia, but I certainly don't think it is going to have a melted front panel when used as a dashcam like the SJ7!

I was measuring at 15C ambient temperature, but I based my comparison on the temperature increase from ambient, not the actual temperatures.

I wouldn't recommend using it in a parked car with all the windows closed in mid summer, or as a dashcam in central Australia, but I certainly don't think it is going to have a melted front panel when used as a dashcam like the SJ7!

Do you think it'll shutdown during summer with the air-conditioning on, say between 40-50 Celsius outside?

Do you think it'll shutdown during summer with the air-conditioning on, say between 40-50 Celsius outside?
I haven't tested, but I imagine it will work up to 50C inside. The battery may not be very happy though, you may want to wait for the super capacitor compatible version if you don't want to have to replace the battery frequently. (Gitup did say that the first batch are not super capacitor compatible.)

I haven't tested, but I imagine it will work up to 50C inside. The battery may not be very happy though, you may want to wait for the super capacitor compatible version if you don't want to have to replace the battery frequently. (Gitup did say that the first batch are not super capacitor compatible.)
To use a capacitor the firmware will need a modification to F1 to turn off the F1 when external power is removed. At the moment it can be set to turn on and record when power is applied. But when power is removed it carries on recording using the internal battery and needs to be stopped manually.

To use a capacitor the firmware will need a modification to F1 to turn off the F1 when external power is removed. At the moment it can be set to turn on and record when power is applied. But when power is removed it carries on recording using the internal battery and needs to be stopped manually.
It needs modifying so that it auto shuts down on power loss if it auto started on power on anyway, like the other Gitup cameras, it has the auto shut down option, it just doesn't work unless it is in standby. I've already requested that.

One doesn't go without the other, the auto power off ability is a must for a dash cam use (and probably a better need than the auto power on)
Hope it will put it on the next firmware

I'm pretty sure that Gitup will have the necessary start/stop firmware changes in there when the capacitor version arrives. I just wish it was all happening sooner :D

Phil

I just posted my review. Includes some aerial drone video. And town clips. Impressive camera. Battery life my test only 1hr 10 min but I guess that's due to the small size?

Last edited:
I just posted my review. Includes some aerial drone video. And town clips. Impressive camera. Battery life my test only 1hr 10 min but I guess that's due to the small size?

Thieye?

How well does the wifi work. Is there any lag when you utilize the live view function on ur smartphone with the app. Is it possible to record and still have a live view feed.

There are probably a 0.5 - 1 second lag in the live wifi feed just like most cameras have, i would think you can record and have the steam going at the same time.
The wifi signal are not something i would use for a FPV application, you need instant footage for that ( i think the F1 have a AV out that can be used for such stuff )

How well does the wifi work. Is there any lag when you utilize the live view function on ur smartphone with the app. Is it possible to record and still have a live view feed.
There are probably a 0.5 - 1 second lag in the live wifi feed just like most cameras have, i would think you can record and have the steam going at the same time.
The wifi signal are not something i would use for a FPV application, you need instant footage for that ( i think the F1 have a AV out that can be used for such stuff )
The live view lag is just over 0.5s. This is a video clip of the F1, recording the live view output on my phone. The lag is 17 frames at 30fps to be precise!
With live view enabled, you can stop/start the recording, both from the camera and via the app.

My new toy arrived today :)
Hopefully I can attach the F1 and get it up in the air soon
IMG_20180119_210605-01.jpeg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
TonyM F1 0
Back