Parking mode SG9663DC or SG9663DR ?

juanchote

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I am very interested in Street Guardian SG9663DC but I am a little confused about one issue. SG9663DR (with R) is the same camera with an upgrade of firmware ?

SG9663DR is a new model with parking mode ?
SG9663DC ( I have no knowledge about dash cam, please ) , can follow recording in parking mode some time after I have parked ? or it stops when I turn off the engine of the car? Is is possible to indicate the camera
to go on record althought it seems not to be advisabe for the battery.

When it will be avaiable the new Dash cam SG9663DR ?

Thanks all in advance by the answers.
Best regards.

SG9663DR is in development (no ETA yet)

DR = Dual Remote
Meaning both front and rear cameras will be small remote lens cameras.
Main DVR will be hidden away.

SGDCHW is a what will enable automatic parking mode in both the SG9663DC and SG9663DR. It’s a special 3-wire system and once plugged in enables additional parking mode settings in the camera menu. SGDCHW is a few weeks away. I got to see a sample when I was in Hong Kong last week. It has low voltage cut-off battery discharge prevention

There should be some new single channel models later this year that also will be compatible with SGDCHW

Last edited:
Small ? but about performance , will be the same?
Main DVR will be hidden away... so the DVR will be placed below ? Is it possible to know the new features ?

I expect to buy it in may ( SG9663DC ) in NY.

Small ? but about performance , will be the same?
Main DVR will be hidden away... so the DVR will be placed below ? Is it possible to know the new features ?

I expect to buy it in may ( SG9663DC ) in NY.

Similar specs/performance.

You can hide the main DVR box anywhere.
(Glovebox, or mount it in plain sight)
Full specs and photos won’t be released until closer to launch.

So the specs are identical ?.

I'm holding off getting a new dual camera setup thinking that the new model will be superior but if its not then there is no point waiting for me.

DC and DR ?

Pretty much.
Of course the DR will have a different main unit as it dont need to go on a windscreen, and then it also have 1 more send / receive chip as both cameras are remote and so need a TX chip in the camera.
You need such a chip as otherwise the max transmit distance are 1/2 foot or so.

But main chipset and sensors / lenses ASO should be the same,.

So if you can host the DC in your car, then there are no need to wait for the DR, its only a little more stealthy with the smaller camera units, image quality should be the same.
Unsure if DC and DR will be able to run the same firmware, but i would guesstimate so.

DC and DR ?

Pretty much.
Of course the DR will have a different main unit as it dont need to go on a windscreen, and then it also have 1 more send / receive chip as both cameras are remote and so need a TX chip in the camera.
You need such a chip as otherwise the max transmit distance are 1/2 foot or so.

But main chipset and sensors / lenses ASO should be the same,.

So if you can host the DC in your car, then there are no need to wait for the DR, its only a little more stealthy with the smaller camera units, image quality should be the same.
Unsure if DC and DR will be able to run the same firmware, but i would guesstimate so.

Wow, so if we don't care where the electronics are stored then just got for the cheapest. I guess if you want to hide things then the new one is better but otherwise as I said just get the cheaper unit. I'd have thought thew new unit would have a newer chipset or better lens, perhaps a better battery if its not constrained by the units size (as it could be hidden away) surprising that's not the case.

Battery's are out, capacitors only.
But yes the DR only wins out if you are extremely concerned about stealth, or have a car window design that mean smaller cameras will be more easy to fit in the right place.
Both should also have wifi that will be pushed / talked about more when the APP solution are more matured, right now the wifi we dont really talk about, but hopefully we will be able to do that soon.
The DR model will also have buttons and a screen on the main unit so you can still do settings like on any other dashcam with a screen, so one would not want to bury the DR main unit too deep in the car.
And of course with the smaller cameras of the DR it would mean it will be a near perfect solution for any dashcam addicted person wanting to add side cameras too.

And of course with the smaller cameras of the DR it would mean it will be a near perfect solution for any dashcam addicted person wanting to add side cameras too.
That pretty much applies to most after their first DashCam purchase :LOL:

I do love my side cameras ( mobius and innovv C3 ) but in general i think you can do without them, but if you like to upload to youtube then side cameras can be a good help to underline something that might start or end on one of the front/rear cameras.

I do love my side cameras ( mobius and innovv C3 ) but in general i think you can do without them, but if you like to upload to youtube then side cameras can be a good help to underline something that might start or end on one of the front/rear cameras.

Does make me wonder why its taking so long to come to market if they are virtually the same

Indeed, but its not so easy not least for SG that's after all still a small player, so while ideas are plentiful the money and technology often put a damper on things.

Things are not always so simple, for instance i have alway been of the meaning that sensors, well they offload their information according to so and so protocol ( standards ) and so why cant you not just use any sensor that talk a language your SOC understand, that seem pretty simple to me, but i am told that's sadly not the way it work so makers are limited to some sensors or at best will have to do all the work them self as SOC makers are not interested in using resources on a given sensor one might use.

Indeed, but its not so easy not least for SG that's after all still a small player, so while ideas are plentiful the money and technology often put a damper on things.

Things are not always so simple, for instance i have alway been of the meaning that sensors, well they offload their information according to so and so protocol ( standards ) and so why cant you not just use any sensor that talk a language your SOC understand, that seem pretty simple to me, but i am told that's sadly not the way it work so makers are limited to some sensors or at best will have to do all the work them self as SOC makers are not interested in using resources on a given sensor one might use.

I understand that but in this case its the sensors, same lens. Its essentially a 2X rear camera setup (in that the majority of the processing is done on another PCB with data over USB). I know they are not 2 rear cameras but the implementation in terms of a remote "brain box" is what i mean.

I personally played with a DR prototype when I was in China 2 weeks ago. It’s coming along nicely. We don’t anticipate further long delays. @jokiin will post details when the timing is right. It’s not coming next week though tooling is more complicated on this one.

If you need a dual channel dashcam today the SG9663DC is the way to go.

Yes in the Dc Vs DR case here, then i think the main hold up have been the tooling for the main box, camera housings i think will be along the lines of things we have already seen.
But i am guessing here.
It might also be that SG have waited a little and see what the other players will be focussing on, it do seem like some are in the same old track just adding more resolution to one or more of the cameras.
Its the same with parking guard, so far SG have staied away from it on their previous models as they dident feel they could do it right with the hardware in those cameras, but now it finally look like SG have found a path worth walking in this regard

SG9663DR is in development (no ETA yet)
This would be really great!!! (my car has beige/shale-coloured roof lining and similar coloured plastics near the mirror, with no "black dots" on the windscreen, so usual black-coloured dash-cams don't "work" very well. Plus not much space for DC's side cables.)

you can always make your own fake sensor island, some guy in here did that with some vinyl of some sort, so you could make your own fake "dotted" area

Not sure what the MOT guys will think of it if they notice it at all.

So does it mean more wiring for the DR unit?

Currently you place the main/front unit on the windshield and and connect it to the battery and to the rear camera.
But in the DR unit - not only you connect 2 cameras same way is in DC model, but also need to connect the camera to the main unit.
And what if the main unit is hidden in the glove compartment? Should I run the wires there?

So what is the benefit of the DR unit? Only smaller unit size on the windshield? That's all?

Back