A119s Very Dissapointed

ljw2k

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well had the camera installed for around a week now and pretty disappointed if I'm being honest the colours are way to much saturated along with the contrast and sharpening cartoon like Image. The GITup1 it replaced was MUCH MUCH better in terms of realistic image quality.

It come with V2.4 firmware which I believe has these problems and hope Viofo can implement into the next firmware some way to control the colour and sharpening issue if so then it could be a potentially excellent camera for the money.

PLEASE PLEASE Viofo can you sort this issue in your next firmware Update.

I've nitpicked about the colours too but one needs to keep in mind that the Git1 is an action camera and the A119S is a dash cam. The Git1 needs to maintain a natural colour profile so that if one wants to the footage can be colour corrected and graded.

From what I can see, the over-sharpening was reduced a few firmwares back.

Last edited:
I have put a clip in Adobe Lightroom and when I lower the contrast and take a notch out of Vibrancy the picture becomes more real looking rather than the cartoon look.

Well had the camera installed for around a week now and pretty disappointed if I'm being honest the colours are way to much saturated along with the contrast and sharpening cartoon like Image. The GITup1 it replaced was MUCH MUCH better in terms of realistic image quality.

It come with V2.4 firmware which I believe has these problems and hope Viofo can implement into the next firmware some way to control the colour and sharpening issue if so then it could be a potentially excellent camera for the money.

PLEASE PLEASE Viofo can you sort this issue in your next firmware Update.
Your a119s must be defective because my A119s is great and I have a few of them. All colors are perfect and they all work the way they should. Nice tiny cam for the price.

2 small clips below of original untouched image NO CPL on either EV set to 0 WDR /ON

Original

Edited in LR ( Light Room ) with 3 steps of contrast taken out and saturation turned down 1/4 of notch

Your a119s must be defective because my A119s is great, Nice tiny cam for the price.

Yup, excellent camera and I would have paid 50% more at the time knowing how good it was beforehand because it took me 6 months hanging around this forum to make a decision while my car was out of operation.

Just waiting for my VIOFO A119 PRO to arrive for the front then switch the A119S to the back, job done (y)

It's easy to nitpick but let's not forget that this is a DASHBOARD CAMERA used to record evidence close to the car.

I know youtube negatively affects the video quality to a degree but honestly there's something clearly not right there, there's a hell of a lot of blocking/pixelating going on in those clips.... even by youtube standards (I had res set to 1080p60 before anyone asks)

I know youtube negatively affects the video quality to a degree but honestly there's something clearly not right there, there's a hell of a lot of blocking/pixelating going on in those clips.... even by youtube standards (I had res set to 1080p60 before anyone asks)
I had the same issue. I'm assuming it's somthing to do with Youtube.

I have ordered a genuine CPL filter as I see most users use to cut down on glare which improves clarity and detail.

I can live with the camera on the hope Viofo brings out a firmware with the option to change the colour saturation and contrast.

Yup, excellent camera and I would have paid 50% more at the time knowing how good it was beforehand because it took me 6 months hanging around this forum to make a decision while my car was out of operation.

Just waiting for my VIOFO A119 PRO to arrive for the front then switch the A119S to the back, job done (y)

It's easy to nitpick but let's not forget that this is a DASHBOARD CAMERA used to record evidence close to the car.
Agreed

Managed to do a small night test clip ( Unedited ) and I got to say for a £6o camera it's growing on me. ( CPL Filter now attached also ) Testing high beam also to see effects on the camera and will get some country road night time clips soon. I can live with the high saturation and contrast for now as I can edit the clip myself if I ever need it.

Last edited:
Managed to do a small night test clip ( Unedited ) and I got to say for a £6o camera it's growing on me. ( CPL Filter now attached also ) Testing high beam also to see effects on the camera and will get some country road night time clips soon. I can live with the high saturation and contrast for now as I can edit the clip myself if I ever need it.

Looks to me like your CPL filter is not aligned properly, the glare appears enhanced, not diminished.
Also, what is your Exposure Setting?

EV@+1 and was aligned using the setup guide on the forum.

If I were you I would re-check CPL alignment and read/observe BC Hobbyist tips again.
Also Exposure has many settings:
More light opens aperture +2.0, +5/3, +4/3, +1.0, + 2/3, + 1/3,
+0.0,
Less light, closes aperture -1/3, - 2/3, - 1.0, - 4/3, - 5/3, - 2.0

It's obvious your +1.0 is letting too much light.
Try +0.0 and if it's still a little to bright go to -1/3 should do it.

No need to re check and read tips again as it was done right the first time. I am also a keen amateur photographer so know the values of light exposure and what effects they have on the picture/video.
If I adjusted the EV value to - then my daytime footage suffers and dark.

My cars headlights are Adaptive LED which are extremely bright and powerful compared to most Halogen headlights on older cars but that's what you would expect on a $110k car!

I see you are on V1.6 Firmware and might I ask why you have never updated to the latest V2.4?

For the past 8 months I've used my A119S/GPS/CPL daily in varied temps from 29C down to -23C.
I've never had issues with the firmware so I have no reason to change. If a firmware issue does come up I will upgrade it.
All I do is adjust the Exposure Setting, clean the unit and focal path twice a year with the time zone changes.
Plus I alternate my 2 micro sd hc 32GB cards the middle and end of each month to monitor performance and extend the life of the cards.
That's it.
Here is my nightime youtube video.
Winter -23C/-9.4F test for A119S
Despite the new fresh white snow you can easily see the detail of tread marks etched in the snow from other vehicles, all the signs are legible and correct color.
At the 2nd stop sign, on the right, as you approach, you can see through a laundromat lit window a washing machine inside the building.
At the first left turn you can hear the directional indicator and the hospital sign is the correct color and legible.
At the traffic lights, the red lights have a slight halo because the traffic light lens is aimed towards the dash cam.
The green traffic light is well defined and crystal clear because its lens is aimed away from the dash cam.
After the right turn the signs are clear and the lights ahead do not interfere.
I left the dash cam on to monitor the car next to mine.
Their windows weren't clean and I was concerned they might slam their door into my car.
You can hear the person cleaning their car after they finished parking it.
The main thing is my dash cam settings and CPL filter are set up to meet the specifications for my environment and the photo path is kept squeaky clean throughout.
The Viofo A119S has more than adequate audio and video capabilities and suit my needs perfectly.
The video performance, quality of manufacture and features make it a good buy for the general public who want to cover their essential needs.
I just gave you my impression of what I saw on your sample.
I sincerely hope you have great success in the future with your A119S Viofo dash cam..

Thanks for the clip Mineshaft, and will try and set my EV@0, I only had it set to +1 as it looked a little better during the day with how saturated the colours looked.
I also tried a Yellow micro fibre cloth on my dashboard to set the CPL and I found the BC Hobbyist tips spot on setting it with the PDF chart.

I took in mind what was said above comparing a dashcam to an action cam and it's now growing on me. I can always adjust the exposure and saturation in LR if I ever need to save a clip for evidence.

Once you are in the ball park with your Exposure Settings you’ll just need a tweak either way to nail it.
Many vehicles have different windshields with various tints, angels and thickness so we can’t apply the same settings.
The sunlight has different strengths at various latitudes and seasons and we also have to consider that.
I’m sure you’ll hit the right setting soon.
Cheers

Thinking more about it and having HUD ( Heads Up Display ) it has a special coated windscreen to reflect the image on the screen so this might be why it might look to have more reflection as this is how the screen is made from factory.

Back