Quality of encoded 1440p video

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
Could some of you download and have a look at the file I have linked here that I have edited and uploaded with an editing programme I discovered today.... What do you think of the encoded result? The bump I passed is irrelevant, and the dashcam is irrelevant (Viofo A119 Pro, which is great by the way), but the the quality of the output video (yes, I know it is 1440p) is what I want you to comment on....

RAW FILE HERE

Thanks folks.

Paul.

I haven't looked yet but both the video editing program and the encoding options you choose will have a big effect on the quality of the output. Needless to say, consumer programs rarely match professional programs for output quality in my experience. Also, the encoding settings can have a huge influence. Encoding can be a bit of an art form.

Without the original to compare back to back, it to it's difficult to say. Equally so without a clue as to any perceived issue. From what I can see, I'm not seeing anything wrong other than possible dashcam limitations eg washed out sky in very bright sunlight (effect of WDR and the high contrast?), and reflections from the dashboard. I played it back in VLC player and it was smooth.

Don't know if it helps Paul, but here's a still from your video. My 1st comments would be the plate on the parked car to the left is nice and sharp. The road sign a bit further out to the left is dropping off in sharpness but no more than I would expect from a wide angle standard lens and it's still readable. The camera seems to have coped well with the high contrast in all areas except the sky and one area of roof in the still I pulled. I'm not seeing obvious compression artefacts beyond what I might expect to see, and even then some of these could be glass reflections off the road, the stones on which is very sharply recorded / rendered.

This is the still I pulled (btw it's always worth trying VLC player if you have any kind of playback issue as it's far more compatible and tolerant than most videos players):

Pauls_dashcam_pic.jpg

I can see the bit rate is quite high from both the file size and playback analysis. I'm guessing variable encoding with 20,000mbs max.

Others may have a different perspective but it looks fine to me, albeit some might think the file size a little large. All depends on how long your clips are going to be.

Cheers m8, thanks for diving in and having a look and for the feedback. This was encoded using Openshot (free) though now I gone and got myself Filmora, which is going to be better.

No problem. I don't claim to be an expert at this, but I wasn't seeing anything jumping out at me as an obvious encoding issue. Like I said encoding is a black art. It's not so much getting the quality, but getting the quality at a small file size that's always the issue. Quality is easy. Size is easy. Marrying the two together is difficult.

As I said, others may have different opinions, but from an encoding pov, it looked fine to me apart from file size which is a matter for personal preference or dictated by connection / storage / intended use.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sunny Managing / Editing Videos 12
Back