Parking & Normal Modes

Mick B

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had the camera installed and I think that by setting the parking sensitivity to 1, it's only recording when it detects movement. However, it seems to record Normal every minute. I was only expecting Normal recording while driving. Am I misunderstanding Normal mode?

Sorry - update! With Parking set to 1, the gentle breeze I have here moves the tree branches and I get a recording. I take it the only way to stop that is to turn Parking off? Normal seems to record for four minutes after I've changed a setting that makes the camera reboot but then stops.

try this, i like it settings

1528995757387.png

The camera boots in Normal mode, so will start a Normal recording. During whatever duration you have set it'll determine it's actually parked, and switch to Parking mode. That's why you get a Normal recording on your reboot.

Some people set the motion sensitivity to zero, and crank up the G-sensors to full. That'll cause an Event recording when your car is smacked, but you'll miss gentle touches/scratches and all movement.

The rest of us grit our teeth, leave motion sensitivity at 1, and understand that will mean lots of extraneous parking files (windy, birds or larger insects, people, etc). Of course, if you have anything smaller than a 64Gig card, you won't like that option much.

Brad.

yes, depending on where you live and where the car parking either between the houses or in front of the shrub

Thanks to all for the replies:

andresp - I do have parking set to 1 but I'm using the app on an iPhone so I only seem to have options 1-5 whereas you have up to 10. Obviously I don't want it any higher than 1 but interested to know what you took that screen shot on - was it a PC running Windows?

bpsmicro - I've just come to the conclusion that it records Normal till it decides to change to Parking (after 4 minutes). Having turned Parking off for now, I've had no recordings for over four hours so I'm beginning to get to grips with it! I'll join those of you setting it to 1 and waiting for Blackvue to update the firmware to allow the sensitivity to only record the things we want recorded in Parking. In the mean time, ordering a larger SD card.

FWIW I have Motion detection set to zero, the Parking mode G sensors all set to 8, and the Normal mode G sensors to Zero, 2, 2. Setting the up/down to zero helps stop potholes etc triggering and any half decent collision will be Left/Right Forward/Back anyway unless something falls from a passing aircraft.
I will have to try banging the car in parking mode to see how much it takes to trigger it.

Well, it missed the cars didn't it.:D

I'll join those of you setting it to 1 and waiting for Blackvue to update the firmware to allow the sensitivity to only record the things we want recorded in Parking.

Don't hold your breath.

If there's constant motion in the background I would expect it to continue recording, it's not like these have advanced AI where it can detect it's just a tree. It detects motion, it records.

Don't hold your breath.

If there's constant motion in the background I would expect it to continue recording, it's not like these have advanced AI where it can detect it's just a tree. It detects motion, it records.

I’m hoping it will eventually be able to tell the difference between the gentle sway of a few leaves and a person walking up to the car - or anything bigger

I’m hoping it will eventually be able to tell the difference between the gentle sway of a few leaves and a person walking up to the car - or anything bigger
No. Even at lowest setting it triggers from clouds, trees, shadows, lights, rain drops etc.

That's why I was saying that I'd like to see:
1 - Time Lapse recording mode for parking, so we can actually have at least some kind of parking footage, instead of flooding SD card with endless empty videos.
2 - Customised recordings length for different modes. For example, I'd want to have parking motion detection recordings 10s duration, event mode 1m duration and normal recording 5m duration.

FWIW I have Motion detection set to zero, the Parking mode G sensors all set to 8, and the Normal mode G sensors to Zero, 2, 2. Setting the up/down to zero helps stop potholes etc triggering and any half decent collision will be Left/Right Forward/Back anyway unless something falls from a passing aircraft.
I will have to try banging the car in parking mode to see how much it takes to trigger it.

Did you figure this out lol?

No. Couldn't be assed, but I will try it later and report back.

Back