Overheating?

I have it right up against the headliner, and yes the mounting plate is on the tint (black dots). It gets pretty hot here in south Texas so I'm not optimistic of it running for very long while parked.

Window tint? I have 35% all around (except windshield), for my black on black cars. Good tint does help slow down the heat increase in your car. Best I’ve used is 40% 3M crystalline, but it looks like 50%...

If the cam is right up against the top of your car, it could be stuck there soaking up the hottest air. A bit further down might help (it worked a bit better for me), maybe the lowest part that the dots still reach? This allows the hot air to vent out of the top of the cam better.

In the end, I found that leaving a small gap in the window helped, or if your car has a sunroof, just pop it up slightly. I know that some newer cars (I’ve seen it in BMW’s), have a vent feature where you can specify a time when the car will automatically open the vents. It can also be triggered via the mobile app. Hope more car manufacturers adopt this feature.

Window tint? I have 35% all around (except windshield), for my black on black cars. Good tint does help slow down the heat increase in your car. Best I’ve used is 40% 3M crystalline, but it looks like 50%...

I too have 3M 35% all around.

If the cam is right up against the top of your car, it could be stuck there soaking up the hottest air. A bit further down might help (it worked a bit better for me), maybe the lowest part that the dots still reach? This allows the hot air to vent out of the top of the cam better.

There is a gap, not much, but still a small gap. The mounting bracket is right up against the headliner but the cam is obviously a little lower.

In the end, I found that leaving a small gap in the window helped, or if your car has a sunroof, just pop it up slightly. I know that some newer cars (I’ve seen it in BMW’s), have a vent feature where you can specify a time when the car will automatically open the vents. It can also be triggered via the mobile app. Hope more car manufacturers adopt this feature.

The car does have a sunroof and has the vents in the slider as well so that might be an option but here in Texas where there's always something blooming, I'd have my car full of some type of pollen. I do miss the auto vents I had on my 535 but this Holden does not have that feature.

Just curious, what microSD card are you people using that are overheating?

Edit: Guess if its parking mode and microSD isn't being written too, probably doesn't matter.

Last edited:

I'm using the Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 633 x 128GB UHS-I Card.

Edit: Guess if its parking mode and microSD isn't being written too, probably doesn't matter.
Is not the card overheating. Is the cameras that overheat.

Is not the card overheating. Is the cameras that overheat.
In some odd cases, we have had customers report that their SD cards are causing the overheating issue.
This specific customer had 2 of the same dashcam + SD card. The overheating issue followed the SD card and not the camera when troubleshooting.

Quite odd. I wouldn't rule out the SD card.
Just out of curiosity, which one are you using?

Stuart @ BlackboxMyCar

In some odd cases, we have had customers report that their SD cards are causing the overheating issue.
This specific customer had 2 of the same dashcam + SD card. The overheating issue followed the SD card and not the camera when troubleshooting.

Stuart @ BlackboxMyCar

Im using : https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...-w--adapter-128gb--2017-model--mb-mc128ga-am/

Im waiting for the Samsung Endurance cards to go down in price. I'm kind of disappointed with my 900S - with overheating issues and terrible nightvision, I question if its actually better than the 750S. The only upside is the 4k high quality, h265 videos - but if the camera is either not on or cant see anything in parking mode, no amount of resolution increase is worth it

Im using : https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...-w--adapter-128gb--2017-model--mb-mc128ga-am/

Im waiting for the Samsung Endurance cards to go down in price. I'm kind of disappointed with my 900S - with overheating issues and terrible nightvision, I question if its actually better than the 750S. The only upside is the 4k high quality, h265 videos - but if the camera is either not on or cant see anything in parking mode, no amount of resolution increase is worth it
Does the overheating issue happen with the OEM SD card as well?

Stuart @ BlackboxMyCar

Stuart @ BlackboxMyCar

Thanks for the reply. I’m using the 128G that I ordered with the cam from you guys.

Stuart @ BlackboxMyCar

Thanks for the reply. I’m using the 128G that I ordered with the cam from you guys.
Experiencing the same overheating problem here with the oem 128 blackvue SD card. I'm not using a sunshade at all.

Camera shuts completely down. And won't even power up until it's ready. Can take upwards of 5-8 minutes after my car is running which leaves gaps in the footage.

I bet having a black interior and dark paint doesn't help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

that can make a difference, although the temps can end up pretty close to the same a darker car will heat up a lot quicker

I guess I’ll try a 64 gig one that I have. It came with the thinkware that this blackvue 900 replaced. Will post the results.

I’m also having the same issue with the DR900S. I hope Blackvue comes up with a fix because I had the DR750S and it never turned itself off as much as the 900.

As other people have stated parking mode is pretty much useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackvue tech support recommended I reformat the SD card.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Blackvue tech support recommended I reformat the SD card.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Alright man I’ll give that a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’m trying a 64G card from thinkware on the BV900.. to see if it was the OEM 128 that came with the cam. Causing it to over heat. And I just got the message that is overheating. Is currently a nice 78F. And already shutting off.

Having overheating shutdown issues too. Central Texas with normal 100's heat. Stock 16gb blackvue sd card that came with it.

I had difficulty getting my head around that as well jokiin.
Why would it?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 19
V DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 22
Back