Switching Wi-Fi Connections Automatically

SteveFL

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S-2CH, DR650S-2CH, DR750LW-2CH
Has anyone noticed that the DR900S has a WiFi connection issue when it loses one WiFi signal and can't find another WiFi signal? Here's what I am talking about.

I have a BlackVue DR900S-2CH and a DR650S-2CH in my vehicle as well as a mobile hotspot. When I start the car at my house both cameras boot up and both connect to my home's WiFi. As I leave my driveway and move a block or so away, both cameras lose my home's WiFi connection. However, within about 30 seconds my DR650S detects the mobile hotspot's signal and connects automatically, whereas the DR900S will not. Now, if I power cycle the DR900S, it will detect the mobile hotspot and connect.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Has anyone noticed that the DR900S has a WiFi connection issue when it loses one WiFi signal and can't find another WiFi signal? Here's what I am talking about.

I have a BlackVue DR900S-2CH and a DR650S-2CH in my vehicle as well as a mobile hotspot. When I start the car at my house both cameras boot up and both connect to my home's WiFi. As I leave my driveway and move a block or so away, both cameras lose my home's WiFi connection. However, within about 30 seconds my DR650S detects the mobile hotspot's signal and connects automatically, whereas the DR900S will not. Now, if I power cycle the DR900S, it will detect the mobile hotspot and connect.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?
Quite odd, have you tried a firmware update?

The last I checked which was about a week ago, there were no FW updates.
Yes, however, reflashing the firmware regardless can solve odd issues like this one.

Well, I guess it won't hurt. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

... As I leave my driveway and move a block or so away, both cameras lose my home's WiFi connection...
I realize this is somewhat OT, but what kind of home Wi-Fi setup do you have, that it reaches even *that* far?

I realize this is somewhat OT, but what kind of home Wi-Fi setup do you have, that it reaches even *that* far?

Just a standard home Wi-Fi with two Netgear 7550 DSL modems, (I have two separate WAN connections at my house.) It has no problem reaching into the attached garage of my house.

As I leave my driveway and move a block or so away, both cameras lose my home's WiFi connection.
I think that nusrat was referring to the fact that you implied that you had to go a couple of blocks away before you lost your WiFi.o_O

I think that nusrat was referring to the fact that you implied that you had to go a couple of blocks away before you lost your WiFi.o_O

devices can often show they are still connected to an access point for a while after they lose connection, possibly has something to do with wanting to reconnect to the same AP once back in range, they'll give up after a while though regardless

I have another funny WIFI experience ( thank god i dont use the stuff normally )

So when my friend got his 300 / 300 fiber connection he also got some wifi extenders so wifi could reach thru his house and into his garage / workshop / stables. detached from the main house.
So i checked it with my phone, and got a rock steady 300 / 300 only getting lower as i mover away from the house and across his property.

But here is the kicker, here at home testing the wifi on my 1000 / 60 cable connection, for the love of some deity i can not measure a faster download than 200 - 250 mbit, not even close to the at least 300 mbit i know my phone can do.
So i have tried to change the 5 GHZ wifi from automatic channel to the higher +100 channels, but that still do not make a change, and so apparently my wifi are not as good as my friends wifi o_O
Naturally the issue probably lies in my modem / router, or maybe cuz i am in a town with a lot of wifi whores, where my friend live in the country with 1/4 mile to his neighbor.
But i cant be bothered with investigating further as i dont use the damn stuff.

devices can often show they are still connected to an access point for a while after they lose connection, possibly has something to do with wanting to reconnect to the same AP once back in range, they'll give up after a while though regardless
Just a standard WiFi, no booster or anything. Just a good strong signal.

Mine will still actually connect from almost 2 blocks away and I didn't tweak anything.

try transferring data at that distance though, connection and throughput are two different things, your AP will be strong, the camera won't be though

Yes, thanks, that's exactly what I meant.

I have another funny WIFI experience... i can not measure a faster download than 200 - 250 mbit... But i cant be bothered with investigating further...
@kamkar1, I'm very sorry to be the one who has to tell you this -- but sometimes, satisfactory functioning of Wi-Fi simply demands the sacrifice of a young goat.

try transferring data at that distance though, connection and throughput are two different things, your AP will be strong, the camera won't be though
Nonetheless, I'm impressed that @SteveFL gets any connectivity whatsoever at that distance. My dual-band router is at the rear of my house, upstairs, about 10 meters from the front. The street is less than 20 meters more, and approximately 5 meters lower than the router. And my Wi-Fi doesn't even reach the street; more precisely, my Galaxy S8+ says there is no signal -- which is a substantial problem, because there is also no cellular reception at the street. (In fact, there's only one location in my house, upstairs and facing south, which gets any cell reception at all.) So, if I want to use my phone for anything while driving away, such as Google driving directions, then I must remember to do it before I leave the house, or wait until I'm 1km away.

My router are at the street side wall of my 2 floor apartment, but i can see its wifi where my car are parked in the back yard some 20 M from my balcony.
But i am sure the transfer speeds would suck down there.

I use a offline wifi router to see my CCTV on my tablet, but other than that i dont use wifi at home or out on the town, that wifi decease im immune to.

Anyways in regard to the car cameras i have my USB 3.0 card reader that give me the full 90 MB/s transfer speeds, you got to have mighty fine wifi connection to match that.

My router are at the street side wall of my 2 floor apartment, but i can see its wifi where my car are parked in the back yard some 20 M from my balcony.
But i am sure the transfer speeds would suck down there.

it can show as being connected for a while after connection has stopped, try using it and see how far you get

...in regard to the car cameras i have my USB 3.0 card reader that give me the full 90 MB/s transfer speeds...
@kamkar1, I'm not sure what you mean by that. The USB card reader is useful only for viewing or copying video from an SD-card which has been removed from the camera, correct? You don't have a way of using it to interact directly with a camera, correct?

The card reader is the only way i go about getting footage of my 7 cameras ( 6 memory cards ) though i must say i never look at all memory cards at the same time, normally i pull front & rear ( one memory card ) + one side camera memory card if i have captured something worth sharing.
I think wifi are fine for doing the settings but thats also it, only once have i tried to get footage off using wifi ( on a SJ 7 action camera ) and i had to plug camera into power source and then go watch TV while it did its thing for a while.
And this was just a single recording i wanted to get off the card ( short slomo recording of some dogs )

I hear wifi in newer cameras have the fast wifi ( 5 ghz ) in that case i think everything should be fine, but i mainly bypass wifi use for security reasons,,,,, i just dont like it, and my mobile needs are served up by my phone that have 20 Gb on it where i only use 2 Gb/mo.
And at home a single RJ 45 network cable are no problem ( though i have a few of those due to my CCTV cameras ( IP cameras )

Back