GitUp F1: any good for dash cam use?

Nigel you are correct. I am using a Smatree Ajustable Jaws Flex Clamp Mount. I should have known better. Thank you.

Nigel you are correct. I am using a Smatree Ajustable Jaws Flex Clamp Mount. I should have known better. Thank you.
The vibration from that mount will have been blurring the image slightly, especially more distant parts, it will be interesting to see if a good mount solves your other issues.

Note that you don't gain from the 2x zoom unless you are using 1080 mode since the sensor is only 4K, it doesn't have any spare resolution to zoom in on 4K. For 1080 you can zoom to x2 without exceeding the sensor resolution.

It's not unusual to see a bit of grain on the F1, but unlike other cameras it doesn't get worse in dark conditions.

I love F1. It is just about the perfect dashcam. With 4$ coupon you can get it for 103$ on AliExpress which is great. It is only second to ThiEye E7(though obviously it's form factor is far from good for dash use) for 76$(granted they hiked the price recently after updating E7 to T5 Edge firmware) I was able to get on Gearbest as far as value/functions vs price.

I really want to try the fixed zoom lenses however I am a bit reluctant to try a 8-12mm lens to see if I can optically zoom in by a consistent factor of 2-4x. I am waiting for thread extenders which I think it will need. I tried to do it on an old mini 0806 and ended up ruining the sensor. Though I learned it is not a matter of getting it closer to the sensor, it looks like it is the opposite issue where you don't have enough threads to position the lens. I wish my mobius 2 had WIFI like F1 does so I could perfect it.

I have ordered this mount and will see if it solves some of the vibration issues. .I don't know why it says suction mount since it is stuck in place with 3M double sides tape. They sell this mount for SpyTec dashcam/camera for 8-9$ on Amazon and Ebay.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...101.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.218d4c4dXkbFhZ
I use that mount all the time. I have had it holding up to 5 cameras at once, on a metal plate with a 1/4" socket. It is both easily adjustable and very sturdy.

I really want to try the fixed zoom lenses however I am a bit reluctant to try a 8-12mm lens to see if I can optically zoom in by a consistent factor of 2-4x. I am waiting for thread extenders which I think it will need. I tried to do it on an old mini 0806 and ended up ruining the sensor. Though I learned it is not a matter of getting it closer to the sensor, it looks like it is the opposite issue where you don't have enough threads to position the lens. I wish my mobius 2 had WIFI like F1 does so I could perfect it.
You need to look at the lens specifications for the mechanical back focal length, which determines the distance required between the sensor and the end of the lens. If that distance is longer than the lens holder, then you need an extender.

I tried it and it didn't work properly in automatic power on with USB mode. It would just turn off after a few minutes

I tried it and it didn't work properly in automatic power on with USB mode. It would just turn off after a few minutes

You may need to adjust the auto off setting to off...you may have something like turn off after 3 minutes selected.

Quite likely to be a memory card problem, it doesn't seem to like U3 Samsung cards, in common with other cameras with Amberella processors.
Suggest trying Sandisk instead.

Is there any more news on the 90 degree angle and capacitor front?

Which suction cup mount would be recommended for a F1 (also Mobius Maxi) that has a small suction cup? I was looking at a Panavise but I think its a 3.5" diameter Suction Cup too big of a foot-print for windshield. ... Thanks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00N9PPOAY

For FPV use, it is lighter than battery version.
For dash cam use, no worry about the battery heating issue.
Also this version, use a big aperture lens.

Thanks, of course it is lighter, less heat and has bigger aperture.

BUT IS IT READY? WHERE TO BUY?

For FPV use, it is lighter than battery version.
For dash cam use, no worry about the battery heating issue.
Also this version, use a big aperture lens.
What about the field of view?

Which suction cup mount would be recommended for a F1 (also Mobius Maxi) that has a small suction cup? I was looking at a Panavise but I think its a 3.5" diameter Suction Cup too big of a foot-print for windshield. ... Thanks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00N9PPOAY
GitUp sell their own suction cup mount. It is fairly compact and works quite well. That Panavise Shorty is designed to be used for mounting GoPros etc. to the outside of cars, hence the larger suction cup.
SUCTION CUP MOUNT KIT FOR GITUP GIT1/GIT2 G3 AND F1 ACTION CAMERA
1545054948440.png

GitUp sell their own suction cup mount. It is fairly compact and works quite well. That Panavise Shorty is designed to be used for mounting GoPros etc. to the outside of cars, hence the larger suction cup.
SUCTION CUP MOUNT KIT FOR GITUP GIT1/GIT2 G3 AND F1 ACTION CAMERA
View attachment 43658
That is a good mount, but I prefer their similar adhesive mount, seems more firm than the suction mount and is less visible if you can't hide it behind the dots:

You can get them both in one package: https://www.gitup.com/mounts/53-suction-cup-mount-kit-for-gitup.html

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
D F1 17
Back