Only a .0032% failure rate for the DR900

bozeman

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also have experienced problems with my DR900 when I park outside in the sun. I proceeded to process a defective return due to the DR900 malfunctioning in high temps. This is what I was told by Andrew at The Dashcam store via email this morning:
"The random shut downs is actually caused by another issue and it is not related to heat. Currently we are only seeing a failure rate on the DR900S around .0032% which is minimal and not a widespread issue."

How is 0.0032% possible?!
That would mathematically mean for every one defective unit, 31,250 other DR900 owners are having no problems. Based on the forum reports and product reviews on YouTube etc, I simply cannot believe that a 0.00032% failure rate is anywhere remotely accurate....but I could be wrong.

Im new to this forum but is there a way to start a polling thread to take a survey of DR900 owners to get an idea of what issues (if any) we are experiencing?

As for the back story, I purchased two DR900 2CH cameras from The Dashcam Store back in June and received excellent customer service. I returned one after finding out that it was cost prohibitive to subscribe to BlackVue's Cloud for two cameras because it forces you to subscribe to its Fleet Cloud Tracking service. I later experienced random shut downs during hot days. My opinion of The Dashcam Store's customer service has plummeted during as I am trying to return the defective unit for a full refund. (still in process)

On a side note: According to a study by Accenture, consumer electronics manufacturers see a 5% defective product return rate.

Last edited:
I had issues with the DR650 going out of focus on hot days.
The DR750 freezes with bad WiFi signals.

And finally, all Blackvue 2 channel models suffer of a 1 second gap on rear view recording files. This mens you lose a full second on every rear camera clip.
They claim that is working as designed to avoid SD card corruption. So it is a design flaw.

A lot can happen in 1 second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
First off I do not own any of their cameras, so take what I say, relative to what I read and think.

"How is 0.0032% possible?!" It is possible because their management/support says so :oops:! It is Not related to heato_O ! If you keep it in the garage where it's "cool" there won't be any problem :cool:!
I later experienced random shut downs during hot days. My opinion of The Dashcam Store's customer service has plummeted during as I am trying to return the defective unit for a full refund. (still in process):LOL:!
When/if you get your money back and want a decent camera post a question here on DCT relative to what you want in a camera and what you can expect.
Your first lesson in getting a camera should have taught you that just because something is HIGH priced and comments on a lot of nice features (by the company) does not mean that they work as said. It might be hard for you to believe but some companies actually lie, have little/no support, and exist on advertising :cautious:.

It can be extremely frustrating dealing with some companies, but they are not all like what you are experiencing, Just remember to come back to the worlds largest dash camera site (DCT) and ask questions BEFORE you buy. Good luck.

Their Customer Service misplaced the decimal point again and as usual nobody at Blackvue noticed or cared.

Phil

On a side note: According to a study by Accenture, consumer electronics manufacturers see a 5% defective product return rate.

it's not a 5% defective rate, it's 5% of what gets returned that is defective, from the article

the return rate for consumer electronics devices is between 11 percent and 20 percent and rising (Figure 2).
In fact, approximately 58 percent of consumer electronics retailers and 43 percent of consumer electronics OEMs are experiencing higher return rates than in previous years.2

Of these returns:

• 68 percent are characterized as “no trouble found.”
• 27 percent are associated with “buyer’s remorse.”
• 5 percent are defective.

The bottom line is that 95 percent of returns are ultimately unconnected to product defects!

I have a DR900S purchased from The Dashcam Store, (and I know Andrew as well via email and phone contact.) I have had no problem at all with this unit. I did have an issue with a DR750LW a while back and found The Dashcam Store, Andrew and Matthew most helpful in resolving the issue.

Using a good seller always matters, but even more so with Blackvue. If you need their factory service you will not enjoy the experience at all. A good seller will handle the problems themselves saving you the heartache.

From what I understand, the average mass produced consumer grade electronic item averages between 1/2% and 1.5% failures of some kind during the warranty period. Companies with better QC and QA at the factory get much better results. I do not believe this three in one million figure, nobody is that perfect. Especially given that I've heard of maybe a dozen failures already with this cam- they haven't even made four million of this new model yet. It seems that they sent out some bad "use only our thoroughly tested and approved" MicroSD cards and have been replacing them.

Phil

of 31250 DR900s purchased or received as gifts, over 30,000 are sat in drawers not being used, or are fitted into cars and never checked

could be that?

Statistics are wonderful, you can manipulate them to mean/say anything you want :ROFLMAO::cool:

Statistics are wonderful, you can manipulate them to mean/say anything you want :ROFLMAO::cool:
like social media posts!

"having the time of my life in Barbados :cool:" can also mean "my wife/husband left me:cry:"

Back