Need new dash cams: 1920x1080, automatic GPS time date setting, Ambarella

MamaBear2015

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Vicovation Marcus MF-2
We tried dash cams from one manufacturer, in both cars, front & back, because they had Ambarella and great quality video samples online.

But one of them only lasted a year, another one is resetting itself frequently as I drive, and every time they take the battery cable off, for some kind of car maintenance, they all get reset and lose the settings. ( it hurts my back, to have to get in the back seat and mess with setting that one up, each time. )

So what's out there with 1920x1080, automatic GPS time date setting, and Ambarella, that's reliable and doesn't cost a fortune?

not many brands are using Ambarella anymore so that will limit your choices a lot

Huh? I thought it was supposed to be the cat's meow. Like it gave better lights, shadows and contrast?

Huh? I thought it was supposed to be the cat's meow. Like it gave better lights, shadows and contrast?

there was a perception in the market for quite a long time that Ambarella was the better solution, likely due to their association with GoPro at the time, the reality is their support is terrible for anyone below GoPro buying levels, they have a lot of advanced functionality on paper but that doesn't translate to the real world unfortunately, we did use Ambarella previously but gave up on it, too many promises broken and no support, even GoPro moved on, make of that what you will

there was a perception in the market for quite a long time that Ambarella was the better solution, likely due to their association with GoPro at the time, the reality is their support is terrible for anyone below GoPro buying levels, they have a lot of advanced functionality on paper but that doesn't translate to the real world unfortunately, we did use Ambarella previously but gave up on it, too many promises broken and no support, even GoPro moved on, make of that what you will

Thanks for telling me about that Jokiin!

So to re-state what I'd like: What's out there with 1920x1080, automatic GPS time date setting & stamping on the video, that has good quality video ( Would like to be able to read license plates and ID faces from as far away as possibe - day and night ), is reliable and doesn't cost a fortune? ( under maybe $150? )

trust amazon?

no dashcam manufacturer manages a 100% perfection rate in production, and negative reviews are often more harsh than they need to be for problems that can be solved relatively easily with the retailers, it's up to you. plenty people have the A119s and plenty people are pleased with them and also pleased with the service they get from Viofo if problems might occur. it's not for me to try to sell you a specific dashcam, but for the money it's a good one and you can view a lot of sample footage from many owners on youtube before buying

I'm seeing more than one seller - with different reviews. But I'll look at the videos. Thanks!

Any particular "brand" that's better? ( i.e. Spytek...)

Spytec's A119s is the Viofo A119s even though on amazon they call it the Spytec A119s, I bought my A119 pro from Spytec and it's a Viofo one that's received (pro is not quite as good as the S), You can actually buy it from Viofo's own website anyway since you're in the states

Thank you! It looks like just what I want/need. Will look at the videos... :)
Looked at videos and if the license plates are big ones, I can read them, but I cant read U.S. sized plates, even up close. Why is that?

Last edited:
Thank you! It looks like just what I want/need. Will look at the videos... :)
Looked at videos and if the license plates are big ones, I can read them, but I cant read U.S. sized plates, even up close. Why is that?

no camera will capture license plates under all conditions

That's a main reason we need them. I was doing 55 one day on the highway, and had a whacko come barreling down on the back of my car at maybe 100 MPH, right up to the back bumper. I thought I was gonna die! Then he braked before hitting me, and was slamming his hands on the wheel and laughing like a maniac. I WANT video if that happens!

In another case in 2014, we were driving in the right lane at a green light and this guy turned if front of us and we hit him. He claimed that he had the lead light, but there was no lead light there - only an open green ( no turn arrows ) and even the officer told us that in the ER. The guy was ticketed by the cop, who said there were EVEN witnesses, but he didn't write down their names! But this jerk is STILL claiming that he was right and we were wrong! We MAY have to have a trial for it!

I always focus on what a dashcam can do for me, and when you look at it that way it work really good night or day.
CUZ it will document my driving 100% in relation to lane / general road conditions and traffic lights - sings ASO, and if nothing are wrong with the way i drive, then what ever happen must be the fault of another person or the traffic code are totally wrong.
Or at the least if i can prove i did nothing wrong, then it must be the other parts job to prove that i am lying, and thats damn hard to do with words against video documentation.

And as a side dish i get all the stuff the cameras capture in regard to the other part, most of times also all a man could ask for, but those plates ,,,,, well they are damn illusive creatures some times.
And while hit and run are on the up here in Denmark as our culture decline, then its not something i worry about, cuz my insurance are still in favor of me if they dont have anyone to blame / bill.
Only if i get damages more than 2 times in a year will it cost me more, and so far i had damages 2 times in my +30 year driving lifetime.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! The A119s V2 looks like the best choice. :)

Back