Huge gaps of missing video (weeks)

Ok, I took the DashCam out of the car, and into my house.
I re-formatted the card using the DashCam menu.

I will now try to charge the DashCam using my PC's USB.
However, I do not know if it is actually charging.
There are no lights.

Ok, I took the DashCam out of the car, and into my house.
I re-formatted the card using the DashCam menu.

However, I do not know if it is actually charging.
There are no lights.
If there are no lights, then camera is not on. I would use a USB charger (phone charger) to power the camera while inside your house.

Don't connect the camera to a PC USB port using the short cable, because that would put the camera into the "Mass Storage" Mode which is normally used to load new firmware. What we wanted to do is to actually operate the camera in the house in the same manner that you do in the car except we want to use a different power source. We want to find out whether or not your power supply circuitry in the car is causing some of your files to be corrupted. {Edited: Connect the camera through the supplied short USB cable to a USB phone charger, or connect the camera through the supplied short USB cable to a +5Vdc USB battery bank if you have one.}

Last edited:
Ok, I tried recharging the dashcam. I saw 3 bars on the battery icon.
Not sure if it charged or not. Used both PC USB and my porta-charger USB.

But, after putting it back in the car, I noticed the date had reset to 1/1/2016
So, the date is def. messed up and is causing the card to fill up.

What are my options?

What are my options?
Battery icon? Where are you seeing a battery icon?

What are my options?

if it's losing the date that quickly the RTC battery is faulty, will need to be replaced

I have G1W-S, but that subforum is dead.

Hi GoodEnough, could you confirm that you do have the model with the -S

I found in another forum that it is possible that the -S was missing the backup battery. Seems it might have been the luck of the draw or another friday built one. ( I doubt the workers stop on the weekends:()
If the battery is there and is stuffed this is the battery the other site's forum replace it with - MS 621FE

Do you have the GPS attachment? If you do and it isn't faulty then you may be able to get it to automatically sync the clock on the camera.

Ok, I opened up the dashcam.
Basically impossible to solder this small without a robot.
Throwing this into the trash.

**** Viofo. Pure ****ing garbage.
Anyone know of a real brand that is not fake Chinese garbage with zero quality control ?

Last edited:
Ok, I opened up the dashcam.
Basically impossible to solder this small without a robot.
Throwing this into the trash.

**** Viofo. Pure ****ing garbage.
Anyone know of a real brand that is not fake Chinese garbage with zero quality control ?

Bit harsh that? There can be problems within any manufacturer's range of products but Viofo do not supply fake garbage and they do have quality control.

You could have asked about an exchange - but to be frank, if they were to see this you'd be lucky to get one...

Got a refund from Amazon.
Looking for a different brand for replacement

You could have asked about an exchange - but to be frank, if they were to see this you'd be lucky to get one...

What kind of ridiculous logic is that?
They should deny an exchange because I am telling the truth about their garbage products and their manuf. short cuts?
Reveals a lot about your petty character, actually.

FWIW, replacing a RTC battery isn't much different or all that more difficult than installing a new button battery in a wrist watch.
A failed battery is hardly indicative of a "garbage product" or a "manufacturing shortcut".

rtc.jpg

Last edited:
Not even close to accurate
You don't need to solder a watch battery
You clearly have no clue what your talking about.

The battery was MISSING, not failed.
Garbage pure.

FWIW, replacing a RTC battery isn't much different or all that more difficult than installing a new button battery in a wrist watch.
A failed battery is hardly indicative of a "garbage product" or a "manufacturing shortcut".

View attachment 40890

Not even close to accurate
You don't need to solder a watch battery
You clearly have no clue what your talking about.

The battery was MISSING, not failed.
Garbage pure.

I say you are the one without a clue here. Having taken the time to review this entire thread I now see that you don't even own a Viofo A119! Back in post #28 to this thread you state that the camera you are having this problem with is the G1W-S. Why post about it HERE in a dedicated Viofo A119 thread??? It is clear from reading through this thread that posting about a problem with the wrong camera in the wrong sub-forum without even initially bothering to mention that you were referring to a different model camera has only served to confuse the issue and made it even more difficult for anyone to help you. So who is clueless here, exactly? :rolleyes:

The simple fact of the matter here is that installing a new battery would be a trivial matter even for someone with only minimal soldering skills. And if what you say is indeed true, that the original RTC battery was missing, it would only make installing a new one that much easier since the real challenge would be removing the original battery without causing any damage to the metal contact tabs. Of course, if even such a task is beyond your skill level, you could have taken the camera to any shop that performs cell phone repairs where they would be happy to install the new battery for you in a matter of minutes for a minimal fee.

As is so often the case here on DCT, when a member reports an issue, other members, including retailers and manufacturers will immediately jump in to offer knowledgeable suggestions on how to track down and resolve your problem. It is also not unusual for certain manufacturers, Viofo being one of them to step up and offer friendly, responsive assistance with parts or replacements.

But it is clear at this point that finding a solution to the issue of getting your camera to maintain the date and time is not really your primary purpose. Apparently it's all about ranting, venting and maligning. At this point you seem to have taken to attacking anyone and everyone who has made a good faith effort to help you sort the problem and you feel the need to spout unwarranted vitriol towards @viofo .........("**** Viofo. Pure ****ing garbage").

Apparently, this is your "MO", as it is hardly the first time we've witnessed you doing this. @GoodEnough, when you had a problem with your Mobius camera some time ago, you also became angry and abusive when numerous members attempted to help diagnose your problem and answer your questions. And you became resentful when it was pointed out that many of your concerns and questions are addressed in the owners manual and from there you then went on to indulge in vituperative remarks attacking Mobius in a very similar manner to what you say here about Viofo. Despite occasional issues and rare PCB component failures, Mobius has garnered a well deserved reputation for producing what are perhaps the most reliable and durable dash/action cams ever built. And even if you indeed received a rare defective camera, when several of us pointed out that your Mobius comes with a one year warranty in the event of a problem like you experienced and they would have been happy to help you, you responded with such choice commentary as:

"Chinese dog**** that breaks after a few hours of use, only to soak the moron suckers for replacement parts and MORE money."

"I have barely used this dashcam for more than 5 hours.
If this piece of **** has died, I am going to be pissed at buying this Chinese garbage."

"These piece of crap dashcams break just like that? WTF"

"I am not investing a penny into fixing this piece of ****.
I will buy another brand. $75 wasted on chinese Ebay garbage.?

"I'll let you know which "big boy" dashcam I get,
and this this broken disposable Cracker Jack prize. Total Piece of sheiyte."

And (speaking of not having a clue), one of my favorites considering how long you've been around here on DCT: "What are Super Caps?" :smuggrin:

OK, GoodEnough, so now that you went out and purchased the G1W-S as your "big boy" camera and ran into a problem with it, here we are, it's Déjà vu all over again with you.

So what I think is increasingly clear is that you are far more interested in acting entitled and belligerent than in finding an actual reasonable resolution to any camera problems you may encounter and thus I recommend that when you start vilifying the next manufacturer of whatever new "Big Boy" camera you've decided to purchase or anyone who attempts to help you if a problem should arise, we should all just ignore you. I must admit that I forgot who we were dealing with here when I posted to this thread, otherwise I would never have weighed in here in the first place.

Last edited:
Back