Innovv Spam

Dashmellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Umpteen
I don't want to disrupt any other discussion about the new Innovv C1 camera, so I've decided to start a separate thread.

Today, I was kind of shocked to receive a SPAM from our friend and fellow DashCamTalk member RockThinking at Innovv Tech Ltd. promoting the new Innovv camera. I was NOT too pleased. The initial shock was because at first I didn't understand how Innovv Tech could possibly have gotten hold of my email address which is completely unconnected in any way from DashCamTalk. It took a few minutes to realize that this SPAM came to the email address I use for buying and selling on eBay and in all likelihood this is connected to my purchase of a DR32 camera all the way back in March of 2013.

Firstly, I have a powerful pet peeve about companies and garden variety spammers sending me unsolicited emails. Additionally, it is a violation of eBay's policies for members to send such SPAM, especially of this nature, some 9 months after a purchase. Unfortunately, this practice is becoming rampant on eBay, particularly among Chinese merchants. When someone starts abusing your privacy like this it can soon get out of control and an email address that was previously free of SPAM problem becomes flooded. Usually, it is nearly impossible to figure out how someone got your address for this purpose but in this unusual case, the sender identified himself and, of course, as a DashCamTalk member I knew the name. Another issue is that this email came from a Gmail address and this too is a violation of Google's policies so far as I know. And why is a company like Innovv with a registered domain address of Innovv.com with it's own associated email domains using Gmail to send stuff like this?

Perhaps I wouldn't have minded receiving this particular missive but I am among those unlucky souls who purchased one of the early versions of the DR32 and got stuck with a defective camera after the company decided to abandon all the early buyers of the defective units. A lot of folks on this forum know what I am talking about. It is a shame really, because the DR32 is a nice unit if it works properly. All I can say is that I can tell you for sure that I will not be buying an Innovv C1 or any other product from a company that does business this way and so receiving SPAM from them in especially irksome.

RockThinking, my friend, this is not a good way to conduct your business, IMHO.

Respectfully,
Dashmellow

Last edited:
Australia has very strict rules about spam, you have to actually opt in to receive it unlike the USA where you only need an opt out option, even as strict as it is if someone has done business with you previously they are permitted to contact you with future offers, until such time as you opt out at least, if you ask them to take you off their mailing list and they don't then I'd be upset, a single email I wouldn't be concerned about though

Australia has very strict rules about spam, you have to actually opt in to receive it unlike the USA where you only need an opt out option, even as strict as it is if someone has done business with you previously they are permitted to contact you with future offers, until such time as you opt out at least, if you ask them to take you off their mailing list and they don't then I'd be upset, a single email I wouldn't be concerned about though

I hear you jokiin. Still, this is not permitted according to eBay's account policies as it is outside of eBay and makes no mention of where it comes from. I don't believe the name Innovv even existed in March 2013. A single email is no big deal but it always starts with one. Many years ago I had to dispose of my primary email address because it became so flooded with SPAM nothing could filter it out anymore....hundreds per day, so perhaps that's why I'm so sensitive to this stuff (Spam filters have improved since the mid 90's)

I feel blessed :)
I get about 4-5 mails a week,and around 2 mails Google send directly to the spam folder.
Spam making it to my inbox is around 5 a year. ( same account since 2004 )

Absolutely nothing happen on my Hotmail witch have been in "use" since 1997.

It is proberly a result of me hanging out with extremely fjew ppl in real life, so mails from humans i know is on average 1 a week, the rest come from sites i visit like this one.

Same with calls and text on the phone, 5 ppl have my unlisted number, and the phone i have is not even registered in my own name.

I get about 1 incomming call and 1 text msg a week on average :D my current phone is 2 years old, and the first one i have owned since 1997.

I get around 150 to 200 emails a day on average, I maybe get one or two spam emails a week, my email accounts are hosted through Google and I use their spam filtering, I'd say it does a decent job

I get around 150 to 200 emails a day on average, I maybe get one or two spam emails a week, my email accounts are hosted through Google and I use their spam filtering, I'd say it does a decent job

I was just reading the other day about how remarkably good Google's SPAM filters are. Apparently, the fact that Gmail scans the content of each email is the reason they can be so effective in weeding out the spam. This is basically the same as what the NSA does when they scan emails and phone calls for key words in certain sequences. I guess, in this case Gmail users are getting something for giving up their email privacy.

One time, after an interesting discussion with a friend about how Gmail scans the content of each email, I sent him an email full of highly charged, over the top words related to terrorism but at the end I stuck in the words bagel and nighty. Gmail's computer algorithms figured out that I was joking and presented him with ads for comedy recordings and comedy clubs.

yes you do get ads when browsing based on the content in your emails, clever or invasive, both maybe

I don't want to disrupt any other discussion about the new Innovv C1 camera, so I've decided to start a separate thread.

Today, I was kind of shocked to receive a SPAM from our friend and fellow DashCamTalk member RockThinking at Innovv Tech Ltd. promoting the new Innovv camera. I was NOT too pleased. The initial shock was because at first I didn't understand how Innovv Tech could possibly have gotten hold of my email address which is completely unconnected in any way from DashCamTalk. It took a few minutes to realize that this SPAM came to the email address I use for buying and selling on eBay and in all likelihood this is connected to my purchase of a DR32 camera all the way back in March of 2013.

Firstly, I have a powerful pet peeve about companies and garden variety spammers sending me unsolicited emails. Additionally, it is a violation of eBay's policies for members to send such SPAM, especially of this nature, some 9 months after a purchase. Unfortunately, this practice is becoming rampant on eBay, particularly among Chinese merchants. When someone starts abusing your privacy like this it can soon get out of control and an email address that was previously free of SPAM problem becomes flooded. Usually, it is nearly impossible to figure out how someone got your address for this purpose but in this unusual case, the sender identified himself and, of course, as a DashCamTalk member I knew the name. Another issue is that this email came from a Gmail address and this too is a violation of Google's policies so far as I know. And why is a company like Innovv with a registered domain address of Innovv.com with it's own associated email domains using Gmail to send stuff like this?

Perhaps I wouldn't have minded receiving this particular missive but I am among those unlucky souls who purchased one of the early versions of the DR32 and got stuck with a defective camera after the company decided to abandon all the early buyers of the defective units. A lot of folks on this forum know what I am talking about. It is a shame really, because the DR32 is a nice unit if it works properly. All I can say is that I can tell you for sure that I will not be buying an Innovv C1 or any other product from a company that does business this way and so receiving SPAM from them in especially irksome.

RockThinking, my friend, this is not a good way to conduct your business, IMHO.

Respectfully,
Dashmellow

Q4A0Iej.jpg
Hi Dashmellow, I think I made the mistake and sorry for the email if that bothered you.

Being open and frank for your questions,
1. Regarding the email address, some people may known from my blog, I once supported #18 team for DR32 contacting with people, had plan to further communicate with people who brought DR32 and build the database including customers' email address.

2. Regarding the DR32, as you mentioned DR32 is a nice product except the audio issue some customers complained, but the most important was lacking communication with people, the end I gave up my support with them, and that was the idea I built Innovv and want to make the change.

3. Regarding the email sent to people, As the developer, I need to introduce Innovv to people and I have no intention to bother people, As you can see the email I created is simple enough and should be nice. and to present my respect to people, I sent the email to every single people, no copy.

I fully understand the respect between the people, and as people can see Innovv is built for people on the forum, all its sales rely on mouth of people.
I am always thinking how to connect people and build trust, it is not easy but that goal is achievable by time being.

P.S. below message from other DR32 customer may help people to understand my intention.
Nice to hear from you. I am still using the DR32, it is the only camera that I have ever bought and I am so pleased with it that I did not see any reason to buy another. I still think that the recordings are absolutely amazing. One of the things that I have done is to take snapshots of scenes from the recordings and installed them on the computer as wallpaper or backgrounds. It makes the computer rather unique - the only other way to get those types of pictures is to stand in the middle of the road or highway, and who in their right mind wants to do that!

I am impressed with your latest product - Innovv C1 and I have placed an order for one.

Hi Dashmellow, I think I made the mistake and sorry for the email if that bothered you.

Being open and frank for your questions,
1. Regarding the email address, some people may known from my blog, I once supported #18 team for DR32 contacting with people, had plan to further communicate with people who brought DR32 and build the database including customers' email address.

2. Regarding the DR32, as you mentioned DR32 is a nice product except the audio issue some customers complained, but the most important was lacking communication with people, the end I gave up my support with them, and that was the idea I built Innovv and want to make the change.

3. Regarding the email sent to people, As the developer, I need to introduce Innovv to people and I have no intention to bother people, As you can see the email I created is simple enough and should be nice. and to present my respect to people, I sent the email to every single people, no copy.

I fully understand the respect between the people, and as people can see Innovv is built for people on the forum, all its sales rely on mouth of people.
I am always thinking how to connect people and build trust, it is not easy but that goal is achievable by time being.

P.S. below message from other DR32 customer may help people to understand my intention.
Nice to hear from you. I am still using the DR32, it is the only camera that I have ever bought and I am so pleased with it that I did not see any reason to buy another. I still think that the recordings are absolutely amazing. One of the things that I have done is to take snapshots of scenes from the recordings and installed them on the computer as wallpaper or backgrounds. It makes the computer rather unique - the only other way to get those types of pictures is to stand in the middle of the road or highway, and who in their right mind wants to do that!

I am impressed with your latest product - Innovv C1 and I have placed an order for one.

Rock,

Thank you for your very honest and direct reply. It is much appreciated. I apologize if my reaction was as strong and negative as it was. In hindsight, perhaps I should have contacted you privately about the unsolicited email and my feelings in general about such things.

You know, the Innovv is really a very interesting product with much potential. I wish you good success with it. Perhaps I may end up owning one. :)

I appreciated your understanding, people's trust and support is very important for Innovv.

And I'd like to take this opportunity to further share with people my thoughts for Innovv in 2014,
As people can see from Apple, Tesla, a successful business should include two factors,
A good product,
A good leader for marketing.

The first factor-
People have seen Innovv is a good product and I believe more people will like it if we keep doing well in development.

The second factor- It is the most challenging job.
The first I need to introduce Innovv to the most people as I can with no budget. What resources we have?
The forums-Where people are discussing,
The blog- I can write,
The contact for people once brought the products.

So I am doing very carefully for above.
My target is 1 million people see it.
Seems impossible to reach, but should do.

After see it, some people will buy,
Since product is good, for sure people will like it after touch.
That will turn toward a positive cycle track.

My executive guiding always is,
Think, Act, Improve

Let's do it and see.

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/new-firmware-for-808-18-dr32.1109/page-12
Post #235

You DO NOT build trust and gain respect by
a - lying to users (we are writing new firmware to resolve your audio)
b - fobbing users off with old/original firmware (the 'new' firmware was four months old)
c - stopping all communication with users (when the firmware does nothing to resolve the fault - especially when said users tell you that the fault is not with the firmware but the crappy microphone)

Last edited by a moderator:
, perhaps I should have contacted you privately about the unsolicited email and my feelings in general about such things.

I replied to the spam they sent me - and haven't had the courtesy of a reply - but that doesn't surprise me since they stopped communicating with me when I complained about the DR32

Hi Sludgeguts, I believe I and people have heard your complaint that you got a poor DR32 without service aftersale, and you believe Innovv will do the same.

As you have read my clarification for emails and email address, my story with DR32 when I am talking with Dashmellow, no sense to repeat.
I mentioned your case to DR32 team, but no further action I see.
I also told them over several times people are looking for the last DR32 FW, I got the same answer as before.

Do you think what I can do for you? or I send you one Innovv C1 for compensation?

Rock

Hi Sludgeguts, I believe I and people have heard your complaint that you got a poor DR32 without service aftersale, and you believe Innovv will do the same.

As you have read my clarification for emails and email address, my story with DR32 when I am talking with Dashmellow, no sense to repeat.
I mentioned your case to DR32 team, but no further action I see.
I also told them over several times people are looking for the last DR32 FW, I got the same answer as before.

Do you think what I can do for you? or I send you one Innovv C1 for compensation?

Rock
Now I think that would be a good Idea...

Back