BlackVue DR 550 GW 2 Ch - SD Card Problem

Shirlz33

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I took the SD card from the 550 to copy a video clip of an incident to the laptop. When I put the camera back into the car and started up, the camera kindly reminded me I had forgotten to put the SD card back in, so I put the card in and booted up again. However, it greeted me with the same message: 'no SD card, please insert SD card' repeatedly, even though the card was back in.

I copied the backup i had of the 550 data to a new SD card, but the camera continues to tell me there is no SD card.

I haven't yet updated the firmware to the latest version 1.019 issued in November. I am downloading it currently and will try that, but don't expect that will make any difference if the camera is not recognising the presence of an SD Card.

Has anyone had this problem, or know a fix for this.

Many thanks.

Simple solution first .... try tapping and blowing any debris out of the SD card slot. Could be lint or something in there blocking a contact.

I would not use a can of compressed air ... it can blow some of the chemicals that will coat the memory card contacts (also don't use on your lens for the same reason, could muck things up).

Thanks, Iv'e just tried that, but sadly still getting the same message. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I would welcome any other ideas from folks in the forum!

Cheers,

Instead of "copying" the data to a card "Install" the firmware onto the card again and try it.

Have had an instance of a card reader corrupting a card so that it needed formatting and reinstalling using a different adapter in the PC

Thanks Hillbilly, I will give that a try. I was using the usb adapter that came with the blackvue, but I have another, so will try that. I have been downloading the new firmware for hours and it isn't even a third down yet. Those Korean servers are too slow!

hey guys, just bought a sandisk 64gb microsdxc card and formatted using the SD card formatter from blackvue, but still not working. I read somewhere it needs to be formatted to fat32 and 32kb allocations, any idea how to do this?

quote="jermyzy, post: 42887, member: 3984"]hey guys, just bought a sandisk 64gb microsdxc card and formatted using the SD card formatter from blackvue, but still not working. I read somewhere it needs to be formatted to fat32 and 32kb allocations, any idea how to do this?[/quote]

A read of the threads on here will tell you Will learn a lot more by reading than just asking us to provide answers which are already posted inummerable times

Even Google is your friend in this

There is a thread about it on the first page of this forum Have you read it???

You will also read of the problems some people have had using these unsupported cards.

Not to say they don't work but don't always work well

Just FYI, for those wondering, 64GB card is supported, but reformatted to fat32 with 32kb allocation. I used GUIformat to do this.

Just FYI, for those wondering, 64GB card is supported, but reformatted to fat32 with 32kb allocation. I used GUIformat to do this.

Can you show us definitive proof that Blackvue support 64gig cards. All the info I have seen says they only support up to 32gig cards.

64 gig cards do work apparently but are unsupported as far as we know.

We did know how to format them and the program to do it with so weren't wondering at all as it has been posted on this forum more times than I care to remember

Last edited:
if you can't format it in the camera then it's not supported

if you can format it in the PC and it can work in the camera that's fine, doesn't make it a supported card though

when do people work out the card has issues, when they need some important file of course, personally I'd just stick to supported sizes

Sorry, wrong choice of words...not supported, but it works. (so far)

Hi,

Just an update on my original problem, for anyone who is getting the error message 'No SD Card, please insert SD Card'. After several workarounds, the supplier has asked for the camera to be sent in for repair. An overview of what we tried to sort it, after having blown out any fluff and checked the integrity of the gold connectors on the sd card.

1. Run 'SD Formatter' and run full overwrite format. Put the disk straight into the camera without adding files, boot the camera and it should configure the card. If still failed:

2. Repeat above using a fresh sd card. If still failed:

3. Run SD Formatter, using full overwrite format. Install the latest firmware to the sd card then insert into camera and it should configure itself. If still failed:

4. Repeat steps above, but use a different sd/usb adapter, as mentioned by Hillbilly further up the thread.

As these steps failed to stop the error message, it appears the problem is with my camera rather than with my card.
Thanks to Hillbilly for providing advice to help resolve the issue. If the supplier says what the problem actually turns out to be, I will post it here for reference.

Back