JooVuu X Modified Firmware MODs Archive

So, OK, I used 1 minute loop files @38mb/s (old mod), WDR on:

128GB Samsung EVO card C10 U3: ALMOST no hickups (day 1080p/60 and night 1080p/30 HDR), 128GB U3 seems to have issues even with 1 minute loop files (albeit very few).

So, 64GB C10 U3 seems to be the one to go with..... although I need to test verify that in real life.

BTW: Are there any 128GB cards U1? Maybe that will work better than 128 U3? Or isn't that the reason? Is it just the size of the storage that causes problems?

High capacity microSD cards use high density circuitry matrix which increase heat. Any device running at hardware design limits such as high Bitrate will fail when high density memory cards are used. The JooVuu X has a track record of over-heating, pushing the hardware limits further will reduce its life span and burn out components or even image sensor.
easily confirmed with simple test to track video failure rate > Loop=1min
estimated results . . . .
38Mbps + 128 U3 = hourly failures
34Mbps + 128 U3 = less failures
30Mbps + 128 U3 = random failures
28Mbps + 128 U3 = few failures
20Mbps + 128 U3 = zero failures
38Mbps + 64 U3 = few failures
28Mbps + 64 U3 = zero failures

High capacity microSD cards use high density circuitry matrix which increase heat. Any device running at hardware design limits such as high Bitrate will fail when high density memory cards are used. The JooVuu X has a track record of over-heating, pushing the hardware limits further will reduce its life span and burn out components or even image sensor.
easily confirmed with simple test to track video failure rate > Loop=1min
estimated results . . . .
38Mbps + 128 U3 = hourly failures
34Mbps + 128 U3 = less failures
30Mbps + 128 U3 = random failures
28Mbps + 128 U3 = few failures
20Mbps + 128 U3 = zero failures
38Mbps + 64 U3 = few failures
28Mbps + 64 U3 = zero failures

Since your list contains only U3 cards, we can conclude that it's more of a storage size being to big issue than write speed being too fast issue. It's kind of a bummer, cause now I suspect 128GB U1 will show the same issue as the 128GB U3.

Thanks, that's valuable information! I guess I'll try the 64GB U1 @28MB/s to see how that holds up. I don't want to burn my X...

@BCHobbyist

Sorry I've not got back with further clips but it's been a manic week and the wife has been using the car plus it's been dark and raining :confused:

Hopefully will get some clips over the next few days....fingers crossed

Dash Cam troubleshooting is tedious involving swapping out cables, cards, power source but when its narrowed to heat issue and its not sun related causes are usually high Bitrate and memory card or both in your case. Try any 64GB card even U3, some don't work well at higher temps, others can take the heat without errors or shutting down device. There shouldn't be any need to buy expensive cards unless its for 4K Action Cam or Drone. The obvious test is simply run at 25-28Mbs and see if it fails at same rate as at 38Mbs.
I noticed extreme Bitrates on JooVuuX cause grainy image, another reason to drop it down. Let me know what the highest Bitrate limit should be and I'll adjust it.

But first I need that 28CC sharpness MOD verified as improvement or not.

....... Where the JVX has struggled over the years is reliability and lack of support. I was going to say more, but I see he's already replied! I'd echo the sentiment that any camera, especially a dashcam, needs to be reliable first and foremost, before addressing any IQ improvements.

My wife and I have several X-cams in our cars for the past 2-3yrs and we don't get problems with random stopping of recording. Memory cards are Samsung Evo 64GB.
On the rare occasion when there has been a problem, it's either been found to be failing/inadequate power supply or worn out memory card gone to read-only mode.

My wife and I have several X-cams in our cars for the past 2-3yrs and we don't get problems with random stopping of recording. Memory cards are Samsung Evo 64GB.
On the rare occasion when there has been a problem, it's either been found to be failing/inadequate power supply or worn out memory card gone to read-only mode.
Excellent information, pushing the hardware and using questionable memory cards or over heated cards never lasts long but yours has with basic settings and requirements
What Bitrate is your stable X using all these years 18-28 ?

Excellent information, pushing the hardware and using questionable memory cards or over heated cards never lasts long but yours has with basic settings and requirements
What Bitrate is your stable X using all these years 18-28 ?

~18000 kbps, 2560*1080p, 29fps.

Edited to give more info:
Clip length mostly 2m, sometimes 1m or 3m but never longer.
Most, if not all, 'fancy' settings switched off.
Memory card only formatted once or twice per year.
Firmware I think is mostly 16th August 2016, possibly one or two have 06th September 2016.

Last edited:
Hi,
I also have use JooVuu X camera daily for ~3 years, (almost) without problems. I usually use it at 18Mb/s, but I tested it at 28, 38 and even 45Mb/s and I can say that it does not get significantly hotter than with original firmware (18Mb/s). Using the 18Mb/s bitrate with a 128MB Samsung Evo+ memory card, the camera is stable. In 3 years it did not corrupt any memory card.
However, I think that the firmware and android applications (not to mention the windows program) are unfinished. Also, the quality of the image needs to be improved.

Due to lack of time, I have not tried yet the firmware from this thread.

Thanks for the Sharpness Test Footage, now I have confirmation 0-1-2 are useless but 3-6 are acceptable with very minor differences.
I'll create a different combination for sharpness with full 38Mbs Bitrate, until then you can use one of those levels at 28Mbs.
Which level do you prefer of the 7 ?

I must admit that I wouldn't use the 38 Mbs setting myself due to the size of the files. 28 is enough for me.

Sharpness level I would say 3. I had a look at some night footage on 4 and it is very blocky. Usually the night footage is better than my A119 pro. I'll have to upload some clips so you see what i mean.

Now it's winter I will probably take off the CPL this week.

Sorry for this stupid question,but I've had the "X" for several years and never altered anything with it, I want to try a newer firmware but cannot remember how to flash the new "firmware.bin" to the camera,could someone help.

Sorry for this stupid question,but I've had the "X" for several years and never altered anything with it, I want to try a newer firmware but cannot remember how to flash the new "firmware.bin" to the camera,could someone help.
Copy the firmware binary file to Root of memory card using card reader in computer, verify and rename binary file to "firmware.bin". Safely Eject memory card from computer then insert in Dashcam, connect power and wait for restart.

Copy the firmware binary file to Root of memory card using card reader in computer, verify and rename binary file to "firmware.bin". Safely Eject memory card from computer then insert in Dashcam, connect power and wait for restart.

Thank you. sorted.

Trouble with not changing anything for years is you forget how to do things.
Finally got wi-fi working but the thing keeps saying password wrong (1234567890) even though it's that in the wi-fi config,what else can I try.

Last edited:
Try 234567890. Sometimes when you update the firmware, the first digit in the password is lost.

This is one awkward camera.
Got it to connect for a short time this morning using 1234567890 but that only lasted a minute.
I'll just keep trying to get the autostart working.

Look for a less crowded wifi area when you want to connect to JVX.

O.K. tried well away from all Wi-fi signals and connected instantly.
Now just got to find the best settings.
I have had this camera for years and once setup can't fault it.

Been trying all morning with various settings but every time the video output "staggers" the memory card is a Samsung 64gb evo thats always worked before.
Trying to go back to an old "elf" file but the DirectUSB program will not even recognize the camera.
Getting really Pi**ed with this now.

Last edited:
Back