Please suggest a camera.

Edgars

Reaction score
Country
Latvia
Recently we have allowed use of RHD cars in Latvia on condition that there is mounted camera+monitor system onboard for overtaking.
Could someone suggest me camera ( and may be a monitor) with these specs as below:
camera should turn on with engine
a) color image
b) ≥ 2 Mp ;

c) sensor size ≥ 1/3";

d) recorded angle < 100°;

e) minimal light sensitivity ≤ 0,05 lux;

f) opening of diaphragm ≥ F/1,4;

g)maximum dimension: 150 x 100 x 100 mm;

h) temperature of use -20 - +45 degree

for monitor:

a) color image;

b) auto brightness adjustment;

c) fps ≥ 30 ;

d) definition ≥ 1280 x 720 piksels;

e) brightness ≥ 400 cd/m2;

f) contrst ≥ 350:1;

g) size no 7" -11";

h) no -20 °C līdz +45 °C.

Recently we have allowed use of RHD cars in Latvia on condition that there is mounted camera+monitor system onboard for overtaking.
That sounds a dangerous idea!

We have always allowed RHD and LHD cars here, no cameras required. As far as I know people don't have any problems, although overtaking does require more care. I don't like the idea of people using cameras to decide if it is safe to overtake!

Thank you for your opinion, I agree with it, as I use mirrors for it as system and it's enough.

BUT I do need it for registration.

So please advice.

the usage is a bit specific and not really dashcam related, what equipment are other people in your country that are doing this using?

I would think for that strange rule for RHD cars a analog CCTV camera and a 7" LCD monitor should be fine.
But really a strange rule, no problem here regarding RHD cars beside you have to get the light fixed for our driving on the right if it is a car with asymmetrical lighting.
Just like if i drive to the UK in my LHD car with modern asymmetrical lighting, a bit of tape on the top of the right hand side headlight will do wonders to not blind the people i am visiting.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/headlights-point-right-in-europe/

Last edited:
The problem is- these are government issued specifications , and by now(from 1.11.2018) no one could fulfill them :) .
I spent few days searching these equipment and could not find anything even nearby.
Looks like Hawkeye Firefly could be the one (90 degree angled) but I could not find what are other specs of it like diaphragm opening. Monitors are trouble too because of Ambient light sensor- for example most field monitors meet the requirments except this Ambient light sensor.

dashcams and sports cameras are not what you need, they're not going to meet the requirement, you need AHD camera and monitor as used in trucks

dashcams and sports cameras are not what you need, they're not going to meet the requirement, you need AHD camera and monitor as used in trucks
Already tried ... no ideas

Could someone suggest me camera
Most likely you need to look for AHD (Analog High Definition) cameras, for an example like this:
HD 720P / 1080P Mini Type Indoor AHD Camera 1.0MP / 2.0MP Metal Security Camera CCTV Cam (look at Aliexpress)
mini AHD camera.jpg
720P Chip:
Resolution: 1280 x 720P 1.0 mega Pixels camera
Sensor: OV9732+V20E
Min illumination: 0.01Lux @(F1.2,AGC ON)
Frame rate: 25fps
1080P Chip:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080P 2.0 mega Pixels camera
Sensor: AR0237+2441
Sony 1080P Chip:
Resolution: Sony 1920 x 1080P 2.0 mega Pixels camera
Sensor: Sony IMX323
HTB1g6yBaPJTMKJjSZFPq6zHUFXa5.jpg
Camera
Model: A706
Lens: 2.8mm, 3.6mm, 6mm, 8mm
Signal System: NTSC/PAL
Interface: BNC & DC Power
Video Standard: 720P=AHD-M; 1080P=AHD-H
Video Output: BNC High Definition Analog
Min. Lux: 0.01LUX/F1.2(Color)
Max. Transfer Distance: 500 meters via 75+5 Coaxial Cable
Transfer Frequency: 1.485Gbps
HTB1g6yBaPJTMKJjSZFPq6zHUFXa5.jpg
General
Operating Temperature: -25°C~60°C
Operating Humidity: 10%~90%
Power Supply: DC12V/1A
Power Dissipation: 12W MAX
Housing Material: Metal
Dimension: 4.4 x 3.8 x 3.6cm
Weight: 0.11kg

But the monitor with automatic brightness control is something from the realm of fantasy :rolleyes:

But the monitor with automatic brightness control is something from the realm of fantasy :rolleyes:

monitor is available also but you're looking at good quality truck monitor, it needs auto brightness or it will be overwhelming at night

If you want to use a dashcam for sure you will need one with AV out, so you can connect a LCD screen.
There are a few with a little larger screens, but if you put one of those in the Left side of your windscreen you can not see the screen, and if you turn the camera so you can well then the camera film off to the side.
Also are the camera supposed to go on the outside ? cuz really you can not put it just to the far left of the windscreen cuz there are no vipers that reach there, so in rain and so on it will be useless.

I am kidding here !!!!! but if the Russians still ran the show there would be no problems, judging by dashcam videos LHD / RHD don't matte a bit in Russia today.

I forget to mention that camera and monitor should be identifiable- with model on it etc. . I 'v spent a day on Aliexpress already ... . Camera must be mounted inside a car in a zone where wipers cleaning window and monitor should be somewhere on dashboard even in the middle of it .

I forget to mention that camera and monitor should be identifiable- with model on it etc. . I 'v spent a day on Aliexpress already ... . Camera must be mounted inside a car in a zone where wipers cleaning window and monitor should be somewhere on dashboard even in the middle of it .

forget shopping on Aliexpress then, you'll need a branded product

Thank you for your opinion, I agree with it, as I use mirrors for it as system and it's enough.

BUT I do need it for registration.

So please advice.
So, if you are not going to use it for driving, it does not matter if it is good or bad, it just has to match the legal specification.
Is the specification you gave in post #1 the legal specification?

YES :)

mhmm , It looks better with mentioned in post above for me "AHD" box cameras- they kinda can meet requirements

Last edited:
Yes the little BOX CCTV cameras are nice and small, just 1 X 1 inch or so, i use a couple of them in the CCYV gear in my apartment.
Mine are just IP cameras, you will need the analog kind of cameras.
For the screen however it get tricky if it need to have auto dimming and so on, then you are probably forced to look at TV monitors from brands like Pioneer / kenwood and so on, which in turn i am afraid will turn your car into a target for brake in.

Back