When is the next iteration?

azchrisf

Reaction score
Country
United States
When are we going to see a 2K or 4K HD front cam (preferably at 60fps, default) with a 1080p rear cam like Blackspew has?
Seems like SG is falling a bit behind the times...

When are we going to see a 2K or 4K HD front cam (preferably at 60fps, default) with a 1080p rear cam like Blackspew has?

when 2K or 4K can outperform 1080p, currently they don't

Seems like SG is falling a bit behind the times...

bigger numbers don't always equal a better result

There are options to up sensor pixel count, but at the moment i think those sensors don't see any support in the chipsets used, also i think maybe those few interesting sensors are too expensive.
You will probably have to to go up in sensor size and so also Lens size, and this is where things get expensive.
I don't have all that much fate in current sensor sizes being able to really do well with larger pixel count.

4k runs too hot, 2k/4K pixels are too small so they capture less light at night.

1080P gives the best all around Reliable results for Dashcam recordings which is most important.

you can resolve hot running 4K with remote headunit with good cooling, but so far no one stepped onto that path, and no need to with the sensors available for use.
I will even take a moderate spinning 80 mm fan on my remote headunit if thats what it take to cool it down, IMO you can do pretty much what you want outside of making the remote headunit the size of a 2DIN audio headunit.

you can resolve hot running 4K with remote headunit with good cooling, but so far no one stepped onto that path, and no need to with the sensors available for use.
I will even take a moderate spinning 80 mm fan on my remote headunit if thats what it take to cool it down, IMO you can do pretty much what you want outside of making the remote headunit the size of a 2DIN audio headunit.
If it is running hot then it's no good for parking mode, all that energy has to come from somewhere!

Best solution is to reduce the power consumption, then it doesn't get hot and is good for parking mode, and with no fan consuming even more power you wont destroy the audio with fan noise.

Yeah you don't want a fan going while parked, and probably have the unit default to 1080p time lapse for parking duty.
But i would think you can dissipate enough heat without a fan using regular heat sink or maybe heat pipe if you go to extreme.
I am pretty sure the Nvidia chip-sets used in some card run pretty hot too having to handle several cameras and the footage from them, so i don't really think thats the major issue if you would want to go down that path.
But for now it don't matter as there are no really good 4K sensors to bring into use.

Yeah you don't want a fan going while parked, and probably have the unit default to 1080p time lapse for parking duty.
But i would think you can dissipate enough heat without a fan using regular heat sink or maybe heat pipe if you go to extreme.
I am pretty sure the Nvidia chip-sets used in some card run pretty hot too having to handle several cameras and the footage from them, so i don't really think thats the major issue if you would want to go down that path.
But for now it don't matter as there are no really good 4K sensors to bring into use.
Don't think a heat pipe would work, they carry heat from somewhere hot to somewhere cool, and in a dashcam sitting in summer sun there is nowhere cool!

Yeah i am not quite sure, traditionally most passive forms of cooling sux, and i am not quite sure how much there is to gain moving the hot parts off the windscreen and say down under the dashboard.
They are at least out of direct sunshine, but i am sure as down there get pretty hot as part of a enclosed space.
BUT i still think that just getting out of the direct hot sun will benefit a lot, so it is at least just the hardware itself that have to generate all the heat until it reach thermal shutdown.
If a DC can do time lapse on a windscreen in the daytime at least this far north, then surely if you remove it from there and add a actual cooling solution then it must have a substantial overhead in that new location, at least thats my theory.

Anyways parking mode don't really interest me that much in a dashcam, i would like that as a part of a alarm instead, but for using higher bitrates and other heat generating factors during regular driving i think it will be good.
This summer i actually blocked off the hear heater ducts to the back seat in my car so i can have more "wind" in the front.

I think i would take a wedge camera like most of the SG or viofo ones, but sans the LCD screen, then in place of that have a actual heat sink coming off the camera body some 10 - 15 mm, not least if that could safely give me the higher bitrates i would so like.
Adding a little speed and steampunk to the dashcam.

I think i would take a wedge camera like most of the SG or viofo ones, but sans the LCD screen, then in place of that have a actual heat sink coming off the camera body some 10 - 15 mm, not least if that could safely give me the higher bitrates i would so like.
Adding a little speed and steampunk to the dashcam.
Wedge cam is not a great shape since it has a lot of surface in the direct sun absorbing the heat, the Gitup F1 is a much better shape since the front of the camera is very small so it doesn't collect much heat from the sun, most of the surface is able to act as heat sink, never heard of one overheating yet! But then you want wifi and a remote control lock button etc. to make it usable.

whichever style it is keeping the cameras separate from the main unit is going to help reduce heat

whichever style it is keeping the cameras separate from the main unit is going to help reduce heat
True, but if you mount the main unit in the roof then it will be even hotter, so you need to run all the cables down to near the floor making installation so much more of a challenge.

True, but if you mount the main unit in the roof then it will be even hotter, so you need to run all the cables down to near the floor making installation so much more of a challenge.

one camera cable down, or one power cable up, same amount of cables

one camera cable down, or one power cable up, same amount of cables
So you are going to run front and rear camera signals and the GPS signal down the same cable? That might have to be a bit too thick to go around the corners...

So you are going to run front and rear camera signals and the GPS signal down the same cable? That might have to be a bit too thick to go around the corners...

no, I was talking about remote cameras, not sure what you're talking about

no, I was talking about remote cameras, not sure what you're talking about
Well, unless you make them wireless remote cameras, they are going to need cables, and since the GPS isn't going to work well hidden down in the foot well surrounded by metal it will need a cable too! Wireless remote cameras would be good, but will 4K at a decent bitrate be reliable over dashcam wifi?

where do you get these wireless remote cameras that don't have cables that you speak of?
I haven't seen a wireless dashcam yet, but for the home this is "100% Wire-Free, IP65 Weatherproof, No Placement Limitation, 1080p Full HD, 33ft Night Vision, 130° Wide View Angle": https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07999Z3M3
So it is possible ;)

I haven't seen a wireless dashcam yet, but for the home this is "100% Wire-Free, IP65 Weatherproof, No Placement Limitation, 1080p Full HD, 33ft Night Vision, 130° Wide View Angle": https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07999Z3M3
So it is possible ;)
Yes, I suppose it's possible with a rechargeable battery. How well does that work in a dashcam?

Back