Card Reader advice

barahir

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hi everbody,
Can I get card reader advice to get the videos on the Viofo a129?
My goal is to move the videos to viofodan iphone, then I want to copy from iphone to computer.

Wi-fi connection is so slow, so I want to copy with sd card.

I bought this one from Amazon: Transcend High-Speed RDF5 USB3.0.
It's blazing fast - I get stable speeds of over 80 MB/sec read or write with my Samsung Evo 128 GB card.
1544511222455.png

It's blazing fast - I get stable speeds of over 80 MB/sec read or write with my Samsung Evo 128 GB card.
View attachment 43569
Just curious, is there a benefit to use the "Transcend High-Speed RDF5 USB3.0" device? Why not use the SD adapter that typically comes with the micro sd card?

I bought the SD card only, with a Micro-SD to SD convertor, but not with a card reader.
The built-in card reader in my Thinkpad X240 is almost 3 times slower than the Transcend. Like the OP said, the WiFi transfer is not very fast so I prefer to take the SD card out and use the card reader to transfer files to the laptop.

View attachment 43569

I guess I told you wrong,
I want to copy the videos to the iphone while I'm inside the car without taking the sd card home.
Like this

Attachments

• g.jpg
    g.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 17
Ah sorry, then ignore my post... You can check on Transcend's website for an appropriate product - they are really good on things related to SD cards. Maybe they have something like that.
L.E. - Is this what you're looking for? https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-755

Last edited:
I guess I told you wrong,
I want to copy the videos to the iphone while I'm inside the car without taking the sd card home.
Like this

Why not use your device in your car and put the videos on your iphone and then when you get home, connect your iphone to your computer with a cable and move the videos onto the computer?

Why not use your device in your car and put the videos on your iphone and then when you get home, connect your iphone to your computer with a cable and move the videos onto the computer?

Because, for not to take the SD card home and not bring it back to the car.
I'm processing videos on the computer, so I'm copying them to the computer.

I normally use the camera as the card reader, just plug the USB cable into the computer. It is not as fast as a USB 3 card reader but seems fast enough. I also have a fast USB 3 card reader so I have the choice, but I find it easier to plug the camera in than to take the tiny microSD card out of the camera and then put it back afterwards. I don't have an iPhone though so don't know if this is possible with the iPhone.

I normally use the camera as the card reader, just plug the USB cable into the computer. It is not as fast as a USB 3 card reader but seems fast enough. I also have a fast USB 3 card reader so I have the choice, but I find it easier to plug the camera in than to take the tiny microSD card out of the camera and then put it back afterwards. I don't have an iPhone though so don't know if this is possible with the iPhone.

I could not understand, are you copying videos by making a connection to the phone with a mini usb cable? impossible to make it with your iphone.

my purpose is neither to carry the computer to the car nor to bring the card back to the car

I could not understand, are you copying videos by making a connection to the phone with a mini usb cable? impossible to make it with your iphone.

my purpose is neither to carry the computer to the car nor to bring the card back to the car
Normally I take the camera to my computer, but with an android phone/tablet I can use an OTG adaptor to plug the camera into the phone in the car.

In the car I normally use the wifi, it is slower than a cable but if it is only 1 or 2 files that I need then it is fast enough with my Android tablet. If the loop recording is set for 1 minute files then I can copy a 1 minute file in less than 1 minute, if it is an important file then that is fast enough, if I wanted everything on the memory card then I would take the camera to my computer.

Normally I take the camera to my computer, but with an android phone/tablet I can use an OTG adaptor to plug the camera into the phone in the car.

In the car I normally use the wifi, it is slower than a cable but if it is only 1 or 2 files that I need then it is fast enough with my Android tablet. If the loop recording is set for 1 minute files then I can copy a 1 minute file in less than 1 minute, if it is an important file then that is fast enough, if I wanted everything on the memory card then I would take the camera to my computer.

I'm locking up the problems I've had in traffic, then I'm getting these locked files in bulk.
So it takes really long to copy 8-9 locked file with wi-fi. For this reason, I thought I would quickly copy it to my phone.
but I haven't found a practical method yet. iphone is really useless in this type of cases
I'm using loop recording as 3 minutes. 1 minute is enough for you?

I'm locking up the problems I've had in traffic, then I'm getting these locked files in bulk.
So it takes really long to copy 8-9 locked file with wi-fi. For this reason, I thought I would quickly copy it to my phone.
but I haven't found a practical method yet. iphone is really useless in this type of cases
I'm using loop recording as 3 minutes. 1 minute is enough for you?
I think 3 minutes is the best if you are using the lock button. I have used it on 1 minute which makes it easier to review the files over wifi, and currently I have it on 10 minutes, but then the locked files are too big and they fill the card up too fast!

Have you seen the other thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sd-card-reader-and-ipad.37183/latest

What OTG cable due you use for your android phone? I have an S8 with a USB C port and was looking for something suitable to transfer files whilst in my car.

I was looking at a OTG card reader which I would leave in the car and use as and when but maybe a cable would be easier? Do you have any recommendations? I’m looking for a value for money product not necessarily a cheap ‘take a punt on it’ type of thing.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What OTG cable due you use for your android phone? I have an S8 with a USB C port and was looking for something suitable to transfer files whilst in my car.

I was looking at a OTG card reader which I would leave in the car and use as and when but maybe a cable would be easier? Do you have any recommendations? I’m looking for a value for money product not necessarily a cheap ‘take a punt on it’ type of thing.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've just got a cheap ebay USB to micro USB OTG cable, then I can plug the camera or a USB memory stick into it. Although since my android tablet has a microSD card slot and wifi, I can copy straight from the camera onto microSD over the wifi, so I don't use the OTG cable much, but it does work if needed.

Back