Mobius Super Capacitor.

Try buymobius.com they have them $8.00, if you don't like dealing with eBay.

I've previously ordered super-capacitors from several vendors, both domestic and foreign on eBay without any problems. In fact, there are dozens, perhaps even hundreds of vendors on Ebay offering them. What is the alleged reason that capacitors are "difficult to post around the world"?
I contacted eletoponline365 to ask if I could purchase capacitors for an M1 and a Maxi. The response was:

We did not list super capacitors at our ebay store, as it's a bit difficult to ship. The super capacitors we are using are of course safe, and we have testing report / certificate to prove it safe, but sometimes it may still get hold for security screening. Not every one has patience or understanding of any shipping issue like this.

I have not explored the matter further and plan to buy the capacitors locally.

I contacted eletoponline365 to ask if I could purchase capacitors for an M1 and a Maxi. The response was:

We did not list super capacitors at our ebay store, as it's a bit difficult to ship. The super capacitors we are using are of course safe, and we have testing report / certificate to prove it safe, but sometimes it may still get hold for security screening. Not every one has patience or understanding of any shipping issue like this.

I have not explored the matter further and plan to buy the capacitors locally.

It doesn't seem to make any sense considering how many vendors ship super-capacitors out of China, Hong Kong and Singapore on a regular basis. Check out this eBay LINK and you can see all the super-caps for sale, including many vendors from China. Oh well, I guess if that's what Mobius says, there's not much that can be done about it, but frankly, based on the evidence so far, I'm a bit skeptical about that explanation.

The last time they sent me a capacitor it was 'hidden' inside the shell of another electronic item. I recall @country_hick received the same and used it for a DIY project.

I know my local reseller buys stock from Mobius to then sell on. I don't understand how that is any different than a single purchase? Anyway I usually prefer to support a local company if I can, so that's what I will do.

Not all of us have a "local company" that can provide appropriate super-capacitors that will fit the Mobius.

Last edited:
Not all of us have a "local company" that can provide appropriate super-capacitors that will fit the Mobius.
I know. If other retailers can ship capacitors then I agree Mobius should be able to do so too.

Apparently, even large powerful super-capacitors can be shipped if the terminals are properly secured. Also, as I understand it, all super-caps are required to be fully discharged before shipping.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 4 years 10 months & 4 years 7 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Just dug out my original stock Mobius and fitted supercapacitors from Amazon.uk. I’ll be using it as a rear screen camera now that I’ve fitted my new Viofo A119v2 to the front. I did update it to the latest firmware using the Windows Program, and tested it afterwards to make sure it saved the last file ok. I’ve set it to record on power-up and shut down immediately and all appears to be working fine set to 3 min file length and loop recording at 1080p 30fps.

This will be a very nice setup, congratulations.

Any ideas on why a super cap Mobius is failing to save the last file- but keeping the correct date/time? The settings are the same as my other super cap Mobius which works perfectly.

Yes, I was going to do that but thought I'd ask first if there was something else to try first. It seems strange the date/ time is kept (but logic seems to go out the window with things like dud batteries in them, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the capacitor.)

Yes, I was going to do that but thought I'd ask first if there was something else to try first. It seems strange the date/ time is kept (but logic seems to go out the window with things like dud batteries in them, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the capacitor.)

caps may have enough reserve voltage to hold time but not enough peak voltage to allow it to shutdown correctly

I pulled them both apart and swapped the lids/capacitors. Both worked with the cases apart (bench tested), so I've put them back together in the original config. The one that wasn't saving the last file is still working :unsure:.

I'll put them back in the car and see what happens. (It's the rear camera that was playing up- so not as vital as the front.)

Are the capacitors made by the same company, or is there any manufacture data even on them? This could be ab idea if jokiin has hit on the problem.

They look to be the same (both were bought from the same source but not at the same time.) I'll put them back in the car and see what happens.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 4 years 11 months & 4 years 8 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Back