Which to buy? Headache!

middo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I think i've hit a brick wall now in deciding which dash cam to buy. I'm after a good all rounder, with my budget being around the £120 mark.
I started with the Nextbase 312GW, then saw the Garmin 55, now i'm think Nextbase 512GW is the best all rounder. Or am I missing an obvious choice?
Video quality is the most important, day and night. The usual features of GPS, parking mode and wifi would be appreciated.
I've read so many reviews i'm at the point of panic buying one so I need help!

Edit: and now i've just seen the VIOFO A129 ... is this a better choice?

Last edited:
Edit: and now i've just seen the VIOFO A129 ... is this a better choice?
Yes!

Of course it depends on your requirements, if you don't need the wifi then the A119S is almost as good as the A129, but if you want the dual cameras then the A129 Duo definitely wins.

I would suggest looking at https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2018/ , however I'm not sure it helps much, needs a 2019 update since the A129 didn't exist when it was last properly updated. There is plenty written on the A129 etc. on the forums though.

Thank you. It definitely looks better than the Nextbase I was looking at.

What's throwing me though is that it says the GPS is optional? Do you have to pay extra for this?

Yes, but GPS is only 10$ more than non GPS.

119S or 129 is the best choice at this time.

129 is with wifi and optional with back camera
119 is front only without wifi

Ok i'll definitely go with the VIOFO.

Question now is duo or front only... i'd never considered having a back one before.

I do like the idea of having wifi though, although is this just a gimmick with dash cams? do most people just download the footage to their computers?

Take the 129 Duo. If you dont need the Back Camera you can disconnect it.

Better to have but dont need than need but dont have.

Good point. One last question - do these cameras HAVE to be hardwired in? I think long term this will happen, but for now i'd prefer not to whilst i'm testing etc.

No. You can use USB Cigarette adapter, which is includet in Box.

Later you can Hardwire it also with Special Hardwire Kit made for this Model.

Yes if you plan to use parking mode, if you just want to record while driving then no.
All dashcams come with a power supply you have to plug into the cigarette lighter outlet in the dash / console, some hard wire to have this socket free for their phone charger or whatever, or just to not have any wires.
So if you use the ciggerette lighter plug you just have to route the wire in under the dash - over to the side - up a A pillar - across the headliner to the middle of the windscreen.

Some times routing the wire can be done almost tool-less, you will find several HOW to install dashcam guides on youtube.

OBS some times the cigarette lighter are always on, in that case you have to get creative, but i think the NORM are that the lighter just cone on and off with the key.

Ok i'll definitely go with the VIOFO.

Question now is duo or front only... i'd never considered having a back one before.

I do like the idea of having wifi though, although is this just a gimmick with dash cams? do most people just download the footage to their computers?
Wifi is not necessary, but if you want to look at the video while on the road, watching on the phone screen is considerably better than watching on the tiny dashcam screen, and it also allows you to copy the important files off onto your phone for safe keeping or for upload for others to watch. Depending on your phone you may be able to copy the files off onto another memory card for the police.

A rear camera could definitely be useful, by default if someone rear ends you then it is their fault so the rear camera should not really be required, but claims may get sorted much quicker if you have video and a license plate so that there can be no arguing.

How expensive to get a hardwire install done for you if you aren’t confident to DIY? My bmw has the fuses in the rear along with the battery so will need a lot of cable work which I don’t fancy

That’s one reason I’m considering the 512GW as Halfords will install for not much. Also the parking mode should work even plugged in to a cigarette lighter socket (for a limited time)

How expensive to get a hardwire install done for you if you aren’t confident to DIY? My bmw has the fuses in the rear along with the battery so will need a lot of cable work which I don’t fancy

That’s one reason I’m considering the 512GW as Halfords will install for not much. Also the parking mode should work even plugged in to a cigarette lighter socket (for a limited time)
In China, we can spend $10 to $20 to ask car repair store to install hardwire kits.

nothing like the 4S shop for us, would $100 to $200 instead

Yikes! :eek:
I'm in the wrong business, and I'm getting a bus ticket to Australia tomorrow to become a Dashcam Installer so I can get rich :LOL:

Seriously though, even though I'm not conversant with the newest cars, I know enough to say with a high degree of certainty that I could do most installs in 10-20 minutes and that none should take more than 45 minutes. This of course with having the proper tools and knowledge-base on hand. It isn't the simplest job in the world but it is rather simple, requiring little strength, a bit of dexterity, some very basic electrical knowledge, and a very small and inexpensive set of tools. The hardest part is thinking about how the airbags deploy and avoiding any possible interference there. And there's internet forums and data on just about every car model to tell you exactly how to do everything you need to do.

If you are even slightly good at any kind of handywork, do your research on your car, and have a little common sense, you can do your own dashcam install.

Phil

I've got a business idea for when I retire regards this which I think would provide both a nice income plus some fun: A "Mobile Dashcam" sales and installation set-up where you go to car events and shows with your wares, then in between them you could do sales and installs in your local area :cool: With a van or RV set up for camping and a stock of cams, fuse-taps, wiring, etc it wouldn't cost a lot beyond stocking the cams. There would be some business legalities involved but these are usually not expensive either. There's thousands of people doing sales business at various kinds of 'hobby' shows and events, but AFAIK nobody has penetrated this market here in the US.

Now folks can see how us self-employed people and marketers think. It's part and parcel of life when you run your own business :)
Phil

I would install dashcams for free for anyone in my area, as per the thread i made about that long ago,
If people want to give me something for the effort fine, but otherwise i would do it for getting more cameras on the road.
I don't have to get paid, i am now sustained by some of all the taxes i have paid thru life, but of course a little extra would not hurt, it is not like my pension are a lot compare to working full time.

I have *5* cameras installed by the manufacturer connected to a relatively high powered head unit. yet they don’t provide a factory option for Dashcam.

I realise not all of them would be suitable but you’d think it would be almost trivial for manufacturers to offer a camera in the rear view mirror housing and another in the rear, perhaps with an auxiliary installed battery wired up correctly to avoid wearing down the main battery. They could charge a lot for it and I’d pay for the simplicity and discreet nature

Back