A129 3-wire kit

Sometimes I notice the camera doesn't power up when I have my switch set to "ACC only" mode. However, if I turn my switch to "OFF" and wait a few seconds (say 5-10), then flip it back to ACC it works and the camera powers on. Once I do that, the camera will power on every single time I stop and start the car, just like it should. So far, this only occurs if I've been on my "Battery/Parking" switch setting and then switch it to ACC before I power off the car (such as when I park in my garage).

Update. Switch was in ACC power-mode when I turned the car on, then drove 45 minutes. The camera turned off when I turned the car off, just as expected. The car stayed parked for 3.5 days, and upon starting the car on day 4, the camera did not power on with the car. Trending theory is this may be something with the circuit I'm connected to. Anyway, haven't spent any time troubleshooting. This is just a data point that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with "changing modes" on my switch.

Update. Switch was in ACC power-mode when I turned the car on, then drove 45 minutes. The camera turned off when I turned the car off, just as expected. The car stayed parked for 3.5 days, and upon starting the car on day 4, the camera did not power on with the car. Trending theory is this may be something with the circuit I'm connected to. Anyway, haven't spent any time troubleshooting. This is just a data point that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with "changing modes" on my switch.

From my experience so far when camera is on ACC mode only, I get consistent results for camera to power up when I toggle my switch to parking mode/battery before I start the ignition. If I start the ignition prior, I will get varied results from camera coming on after toggling to PM/battery, to having to toggle the switch several times before camera powers up, to not powering up at all until I stop/restart the ignition. I'm guessing that the wire kit must detect power from both ACC and Bat+ leads...

BTW - I'm on 5 sec boot delay.

From my experience so far when camera is on ACC mode only, I get consistent results for camera to power up when I toggle my switch to parking mode/battery before I start the ignition. If I start the ignition prior, I will get varied results from camera coming on after toggling to PM/battery, to having to toggle the switch several times before camera powers up, to not powering up at all until I stop/restart the ignition. I'm guessing that the wire kit must detect power from both ACC and Bat+ leads...

It is my understanding that the wire and camera, when plugged into the GPS base, will recognise the 2 power sources (ACC and Bat+).

I understand that this won’t test the PM function (but as you already know that works then it won’t be an issue) then why not see if you can replicate the conditions in which you know the camera does not boot up correctly but do it with the wire plugged directly into the camera.

Would that answer any questions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is my understanding that the wire and camera, when plugged into the GPS base, will recognise the 2 power sources (ACC and Bat+).

I understand that this won’t test the PM function (but as you already know that works then it won’t be an issue) then why not see if you can replicate the conditions in which you know the camera does not boot up correctly but do it with the wire plugged directly into the camera.

Would that answer any questions?

The issue/behavior I've been experiencing and testing is not where I'm plugging in the power (GPS vs camera) but more about the rocker switch I custom installed, see my setup earlier in this post.

I suggest putting a capacitor between your Cam B- and Cam B+ so that the power to the camera doesn't disappear for a few milliseconds while you are switching the switch. Something like a 1000uF 16V electrolytic. Maybe it shouldn't be necessary, but it may solve the problem and show where the problem is.

I suggest putting a capacitor between your Cam B- and Cam B+ so that the power to the camera doesn't disappear for a few milliseconds while you are switching the switch. Something like a 1000uF 16V electrolytic. Maybe it shouldn't be necessary, but it may solve the problem and show where the problem is.

Hi @Nigel is there any way you could mark on the diagram exactly where you would put the capacitor? I’m looking into replicating the setup that @bodycount28 has got set up.

I plan to order https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283193960315 this switch, I had looked for one with a little LED on it that would illuminate when I had Bat+ feed selected but all the ones I found like that were SPST on/off variants.

I’m happy doing the wiring etc and plan to mount the switch on the trim next to the gear stick. The only thing I am a little unsure of is which pin would be which if I planned to have the ‘I’ indicate that parking mode was active and the ‘0’ to indicate ACC feed. Could anyone advise?

If I was to use an ‘on-off-on’ switch, with ‘I’ indicating ACC and ‘II’ indicating full parking mode, how would I wire that? Is there any chance you could do a very basic diagram for that @kioneo showing which pin would be which?

Thank you for any help you guys can offer (happy to start a new thread if that would be more appropriate)

Jon

I’m happy doing the wiring etc and plan to mount the switch on the trim next to the gear stick. The only thing I am a little unsure of is which pin would be which if I planned to have the ‘I’ indicate that parking mode was active and the ‘0’ to indicate ACC feed. Could anyone advise?

I hope the photo below answers your question

1544678496412.png

Attachments

• 1544678379867.png
    1544678379867.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for suggestion, I'll be troubleshooting further and may do this...

It occurred to me that I never saw any cabling diagram showing HK3 connections. Consequently, I generated one below and, since I am about a week from receiving HK3, may contain inaccuracies. For those who have already installed it successfully, please post any feedback/corrections. I am mostly interested in the connections of the red and yellow wires.

Thanks

Marc
= = = = = =
1544736572400.png

It occurred to me that I never saw any cabling diagram showing HK3 connections. Consequently, I generated one below and, since I am about a week from receiving HK3, may contain inaccuracies. For those who have already installed it successfully, please post any feedback/corrections. I am mostly interested in the connections of the red and yellow wires.

Thanks

Marc
= = = = = =
View attachment 43605

The BATT and ACC description is reversed. BATT is always on and ACC is power on with ignition only.

Battery means always on, acc is switched power
Great and many thanks Jokiin. That was my reason for posting the diagram in the first place. Below is the corrected version.

Incidentally, would this still work if HK3 was plugged on the camera mount? If not, why not?

Marc
= = = = =
1544737125433.png

would this still work if HK3 was plugged on the camera mount?
No. Camera mount only has 4 pins. Needs one more. It looks like either HK3 was more of an afterthought or most people only plug it in (2 wire) so Viofo caters more to them.

Anyway, lots to troubleshoot and I'll let you know what I find. It'll just be a while until I get back to it. At present, the above is the only problem I notice. Even at that, as long as I listen for the chime to make sure the camera boots every time I start the car, it's been fantastic having parking mode as an option. :)

I have done an identical wiring and would like to know if someone here has a solution for the issues pointed out.

i have noticed this too if i run it in full ACC mode, i think its the boot delay, as its only done it in the morning when i wait to glow the engine,

if i start it straight away (key off-on less then a second) it will boot, Wondering if longer boot delay will work,

I will pay more attention tomorrow morning and watch what the camera is doing when i go to start the car, i bet its because i started turning it over when it was booting

I was going to suggest a longer boot delay. Using 0s is likely to cause problems. Even 5s can be too short after a few days parked.

I tried switching to 12.2V instead of 12.4V (thinking maybe it was the voltage dropping too low and the unit cutting out): no change.

I did notice, however, that when the camera doesn't power up (when I'm in my ACC-only switch position), I can unplug and replug the USB connector on the camera and it will power on. This seemingly tells me that the 3-wire adapter is still doing it's job and maybe it's the camera. I'll try setting my boot delay higher than 5s.

Ok so i did some testing today,

After the car had sat overnight on the acc switch (so both the bat and acc wire are connected to acc so it only turns on with car) the camera would not boot up at all when turning the car to on or acc, I tried multiple times,
However when i moved the switch so the bat wire (red) was always on and yellow was on acc, the camera still did not turn on UNTIL i switched the key to acc then it booted and behaved like normal afterwards,

I have a very basic understanding of electrics but it seems that if both the acc and bat wire both start to receive power at the same time after the camera has been off for awhile the 3 wire kit gets upset and spits the dummy, i know its the 3 wire kit as the red light on it within half a second turns off when i have my switch set to acc only,

Interestingly the camera/kit will work on acc only if the camera has been on recently (last few hours) seems to only get upset after being turned off at night.

So i think it either gets upset with both bat and acc wire get power at the same time due to because it can, or maybe it needs to see the ACC wire actually change state and when they both come on together it gets confused??

the work around i am going to try now is i will add a timed relay inline to the acc wire, this way the acc to the 3 wire kit will always have a 2 second delay to the bat wire, so i can use my parking mode toggle switch as intended

Back