Mounting SGGCX2PRO to other than glass

halfred

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just bought my new SGGCX2PRO and looking for a suitable mounting spot...

Due to the various electronics (front camera/radar) that comes with the car there is a large black box immediately behind the mirror... The best mounting location for best footage is actually right on to the underside of the black box. (Mounting on the windshield below the box impacts driver vision and I would have to mount the camera quite a distance from the black box on the passenger side so as to not capture the box in the camera view, this then impacts passenger sight lines...)

Has anyone tired to mount a dashcam with the supplied 3M adhesive tape directly to the plastic cover of a similar black box? Any issues with vibration and or the 3M staying securely attached?
Thanks

Attachments

• Mirror box.jpg
    Mirror box.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Windshield.jpg
    Windshield.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 23
the 3M tape that is supplied works best on smooth surfaces, might not hold onto a textured surface very well, there are some other 3M products that use a different type of adhesive which are more suitable for that type of surface

Thanks for the "super quick" reply... Impressive... just confirms the glowing reviews of customer support by Street Guardian...

Any idea the name of the 3M product you referenced?

Cheers

I'm not sure which models, I know the adhesive type that they use on their Dual Lock product (kind of like heavy duty velcro) will stick to a textured surface no problem, unsure if they use the same type on any of the single use tape products though

Thanks.... I will try the Velcro and see if that gives sufficient support for a steady picture... Again thanks for your quick responses... Cheers

Last edited:
I use this for mounting to plastic and it's been working well for me. Still need to prep the surface beforehand as with anything else. Even though it says 'permanent' it can be removed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scot...xtreme-Mounting-Tape-414-48WID-DCSF/206565452

Edit: Keep in mind that if your's is a new vehicle the vinyl will 'out gas' oils for a period of time and that can occur between the material and the tape causing it to lose adhesion. That happens not matter how well you prep the surface.

Last edited:
Looks like that one is double the strength. 30lbs vs 15lbs of the one above.

View attachment 43587
Maybe because it's twice the width? :unsure:

The one you linked looks like it has a foam core (hard to tell from the picture) while the stuff I use is some form of solid rubbery material.

Maybe because it's twice the width? :unsure:

the ratings are based on the same size piece of tape when they test

The one you linked looks like it has a foam core (hard to tell from the picture) while the stuff I use is some form of solid rubbery material.

more likely they are from different product group which is why the heavier rating

Since we are on the topic of mounting the X2, I used the 3M Dual Lock in lieu of the supplied mounting tape.
If I need to remove the X2 Pro for any reason its much easier to pull and pop it off. Lifting it off the supplied mount was not going to happen easily since mine is mounted close to the overhead liner.
I prefer the Dual Lock over the supplied doubled sided tape. (Hint, hint)
Dual Lock will stick to plastic too.
Kick ass SG Dashcam kit !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No issues with vibration with the dual lock?

the ratings are based on the same size piece of tape when they test

more likely they are from different product group which is why the heavier rating

That's the product that "finally" cured the chronic problem (street guardian adhesives don't hold) I experienced with the Street Guardian supplied 3M tape failing on my SG9665GC (even the replacement tapes that @Street Guardian USA sent me).

As far as I know, it is simply a two inch wide version of the same #5952 3M VHB tape we are all familiar with but it "may" be a different product #.

If you read the product description carefully on the Home Depot web site linked above you'll see that it is really rated at 20 lb holding power and not 30 lb.

VHB-2inch.jpg

Dual Lock tape is rock solid when installing dash cams - no vibrations whatsoever. Great product! The only drawback as far as dash cam installation is concerned is that for some odd reason 3M switched to a white adhesive behind the black "hooked" tape so you lose some of the stealth factor.

I managed to lay away a stash of the all black stuff before it became unavailable and it's been a good investment.

the white backing is maybe less of an issue if he's sticking it to a sensor housing as it is probably hard to see much at all of where it is mounted, if it was to the glass though that wouldn't be a good look

the white backing is maybe less of an issue if he's sticking it to a sensor housing as it is probably hard to see much at all of where it is mounted, if it was to the glass though that wouldn't be a good look

Makes sense.

BTW, I highly recommend the grey 3M VHB tape for use on automotive rough surface interior plastic. I've been using it for years now to mount my side facing cameras (and other things). It holds extremely well but unlike the black #5952 3M VHB tape it peels off cleanly and fairly easily from plastic surfaces. I use it extensively to hold my dash mat in place and this summer when I had to remove my dash mat for a windshield replacement, the numerous strips of tape I applied to my dash board peeled off so cleanly that you couldn't tell they had ever been there. It had been applied to the dashboard for two years.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scot...ided-Outdoor-Mounting-Tape-411DC-SF/100575385

gray-3m-specialty-anti-slip-tape-411dc-sf-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:

Like said above, rock solid.
*I just bought my 3M Dual Lock yesterday at Walgreens.
7f9d0b4d24405f25f2a669903abe86e3.jpg

You cannot see my X2Pro at all except for the camera eye if you knew it was there and looked real hard.
Im extremely happy I bought the Street Guardian kit. Added bonus, I got 15% off with the holiday code!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m surprised and delighted about the dual lock. That’s good news. And the white backing doesn’t really bother me because mounting happens behind 5% tint that tends to hide everything.

Back