Mobius 5MP Varifocal Zoom 6-22mm ƒ/1.6

Are you sure? This is taken from the fulekan listing:
View attachment 41512

OK. Tony, I think you're correct that the filter is installed the way I recommend. I did a quick little bit of "forensics" in Photoshop.

You can see three dabs of UV cement behind the filter on the retaining ring surrounding the rear lens element similar to how I attached the IR-cut filters on both the 2.8 -12mm and the 6-22mm varifocals.

I guess they might have been better off with a photo more like what Treeye used to show the filter installation.

lens.jpg

Last edited:
Not as per my experience. The 3MP ones I didn't apply any glue or use a locking ring and even with the bumpy roads here, none of them went out of focus. Been using a locking ring with the new 8 and 12mm, no focus issues whatsoever.

You're probably referring to the 4 and 6mm f/1.2 some of us got from Treeye.

Yeah, I've only had focus issues with the varifocals if I haven't tightened the focus knob enough, never with primaries. Because I live on a bumpy dirt road I may have more experience with vibration issues that might affect things like focus than anyone else. Over the years expansion and contraction temperature variables have occasionally caused minor focus issues in my side and rear Mobius camera but it can take months to manifest and is rather subtle.

So they're even copying the filter modifications from another seller I noticed fulekan even mentioned the placement of the IR cut filter in their lens description.

For the record, I used the same method to fix my 6-22mm lens with a new filter and it's working perfectly.

So they're even copying the filter modifications from another seller I noticed fulekan even mentioned the placement of the IR cut filter in their lens description.

could even be the same seller, a lot of the sellers run multiple stores and assign one staff member to each store to run it

I won't be surprised if lenses for both brands come from the same factory, inventory from a few sellers is nearly identical.

Last edited:
Not as per my experience. The 3MP ones I didn't apply any glue or use a locking ring and even with the bumpy roads here, none of them went out of focus. Been using a locking ring with the new 8 and 12mm, no focus issues whatsoever.

You're probably referring to the 4 and 6mm f/1.2 some of us got from Treeye.
Yes, I was thinking about the 4mm and 6mm F1.2 lenses. Good to hear that your other prime lenses have had no focus issues.

For the record, I used the same method to fix my 6-22mm lens with a new filter and it's working perfectly.

I should be getting royalties!! :smuggrin:

Actually, Sophie offered me a discount on my next purchase as a thank you for introducing them to the IR filter install idea so I'll be bummed if they've really gone out of business. :(

could even be the same seller, a lot of the sellers run multiple stores and assign one staff member to each store to run it

That's quite possible. I see that on eBay a lot. My recent favorite CCTV vendor has several outlets on eBay.

That's quite possible. I see that on eBay a lot. My recent favorite CCTV vendor has several outlets on eBay.

it certainly happens, I've been at the 'office' (I use the term office loosely, it was a converted apartment in a residential complex) of one of the largest sellers on JD.com and it was just tables and laptops everywhere and each person was a separate store on that platform, very common setup in China

I noticed the other day that the Treeeye store was still there but empty of products. I sent Sophie a message asking what's going on. If I get an answer I'll report back.

Unfortunately, the Fulekan version of the varifocal doesn't use the fail-proof IR-cut filter install method I championed. If I were to buy another varifocal, I think I would install my own filter and recommend the same for others. It's easy to do.

Sophie informs me that the Treeeye store ran into "a little problem" but they expect to be back up and running in a day or two. They hope to see you guys show up for a visit on Sept 11.

Last edited:
I just got a note from Sophie informing me that the Treeye Store has been restored and is back up and running!

Dis she mention what the problem was?

Here are some interesting zoom telephoto-vs-normal dash cam captures using the Mobius with this 6-22mm Varifocal ƒ/1.6 zoom compared to the FOV of the SG9665GC (112º).

In the following images, I set the zoom of the 6-22mm Varifocal to approximately 1/3 or maybe 3/4 of the potential zoom. The lens has no calibration markings so I can only guesstimate the actual focal length setting here but you get the idea. This is all experimental at this point, of course.

So, here are some recent screen captures of very nearly the same frame from the two different cameras. I've superimposed in green frames the actual FOV of the zoom telephoto varifocal as compared to the SG9665GC.

I would never wish to be without a traditional wide angle dash cam, but now that I've been playing around with CCTV varifocal lenses in a Mobius deployed as a second front facing camera for almost ten months, I think I wouldn't want to be without this capability.

Now that we have viable high quality dual channel dash cams, the chipset technology already exists to build a dual focal length front facing dash cam. All that needs to happen is to get rid of the cable and relocate the remote cam module to the front camera housing and engineer the best telephoto into it. Or it could be a base cam with a short cabled front facing telephoto with flexible positioning and aiming.

I predict such a product may yet come about. ;)

6-22mm Varifocal Zoom ƒ/1.6
View attachment 38673

Street Guardian - SG9665GC V2
View attachment 38674

Mobius with 6-22mm ƒ/1.6 Varifocal Zoom - Lower Main Street
View attachment 38675

Street Guardian - SG9665GC V2
View attachment 38676
Hey, I just saw your comment from the A129 thread. Im curious about your "Mobius with 6-22mm ƒ/1.6 Varifocal Zoom" set up. Did you swap out the stock lens with an aftermarket or custom lens? Is it possible to do this with the A129 front cam?

Hey, I just saw your comment from the A129 thread. Im curious about your "Mobius with 6-22mm ƒ/1.6 Varifocal Zoom" set up. Did you swap out the stock lens with an aftermarket or custom lens? Is it possible to do this with the A129 front cam?
The 6-22mm lens discussed in this thread is an aftermarket lens

I have tried fitting this 6-22mm lens into an A129, without success. There are two main reasons:
  1. The back flange of the varifocal lens clashes with the A129 lens housing, so it would require significant remodelling to get it to work. But, it could be done. I've cut away the housing for another lens, so I know that doing it for this varifocal is possible.
  2. Wedge-style cameras with up/down lens adjustment that clicks into position are not really designed to have a heavy varifocal lens attached to them. It would undoubtedly bounce around on rough road surfaces, and may even lose vertical alignment over bigger bumps by moving a click or two. The better option would be a smaller, lighter-weight telephoto around 8-12mm focal length.

A number of us here on DCT have been expereimenting with alternative, aftermarket lenses of difference focal lengths in cameras for quite some now and then deploying them along with standard stock cameras at the same time. Many of us like to use the Mobius because the camera lends itself to the process but you can swap lenses into most any camera if you are handy. Check out THIS old thread for example. Another good thread to get your feet wet with alternative (telephoto) lenses is HERE. Many of @Harsh's examples will give you a really good feel for what can be accomplished. Some of @tony's imagery is no longer posted but read his posts if this sort of thing interests you as he is also one of the members who is the most experienced and knowledgable on this subject. There are many other guys experimenting with different lenses like @dirkzelf and his threads are worth checking out. The A129 may be a little challenging for lens swap compared to some cameras but certainly quite doable.

Last edited:
The 6-22mm lens discussed in this thread is an aftermarket lens

I have tried fitting this 6-22mm lens into an A129, without success. There are two main reasons:
  1. The back flange of the varifocal lens clashes with the A129 lens housing, so it would require significant remodelling to get it to work. But, it could be done. I've cut away the housing for another lens, so I know that doing it for this varifocal is possible.

I couldn't get the regular 12mm to work either. @Andy555 So may require getting different versions to experiment with. Or get a Mobius (while they're still available).

@Dashmellow - We can take these images to the new thread when it's ready :). Drop me a note if you want any help putting it together.

Tony, I just mentioned over in the A129 firmware thread that I won't have time this evening to set up a new thread. If you feel the urge to do it first, please be my guest. The Multi-Channel Dash Cams sub-forum seems like where it should go. After we establlish a new thread I was thinking I might ask @DashCamMan to move any posts starting at #314 from this thread over to there.

Working title, "Dual lens - dual focal length front facing dash cam?" ( alternative suggestions?)

I just deleted my last post since I realised I was jumping the gun and ought to wait until we have the right thread. Better to leave this thread to its original subject.

I'm not going to have the time tonight (at almost 1am) to set up a new thread properly either.

Back