VIOFO A129 non-IR 1080p Modified Firmware MODs Archive

That's why some people choose to have 2 front facing cameras - one wide angle and one telephoto.

Bit overkill and super distracting! I guess if you are driving a $200,000 / 180,000 Euro vehicle... Maybe...but otherwise, I'm going for Good Enough!

The boot delay seems to have fixed it! (y)

Just wish someone in Australia or the Southern Hemisphere would test out the firmware....Not wanting to end up with a $190 piece of plastic that fries itself in 30C because the unit is overclocked!

That's why some people choose to have 2 front facing cameras - one wide angle and one telephoto.

Bit overkill and super distracting! I guess if you are driving a $200,000 / 180,000 Euro vehicle... Maybe...but otherwise, I'm going for Good Enough!

No my friend, it's neither overkill nor is it particularly distracting in any way. And it has literally nothing to do with whether or not you happen to be driving a high value vehicle.

A wide/telephoto combination dash cam set-up can be quite useful however and sometimes invaluable.

Interestingly, with high quality dual channel dash cams already on the market, the technology for an integrated wide/tele front facing dash cam already exits. In fact, there is a fairly high likelihood that you will be seeing such a product introduced to the marketplace before too long.

Just wish someone in Australia or the Southern Hemisphere would test out the firmware....Not wanting to end up with a $190 piece of plastic that fries itself in 30C because the unit is overclocked!

it's not going to catch fire, if you're concerned run the high bitrate version in winter and just run it at lower bitrate is summer

Interestingly, with high quality dual channel dash cams already on the market, the technology for an integrated wide/tele front facing dash cam already exits. In fact, there is a fairly high likelihood that you will be seeing such a product introduced to the marketplace before too long.
I think having it one camera would be a challenge but we might looking at doing a zoom lens option for one of the remote cameras which could be placed wherever suited the need, even if that was upfront next to the main camera

I think having it one camera would be a challenge but we might looking at doing a zoom lens option for one of the remote cameras which could be placed wherever suited the need, even if that was upfront next to the main camera

I'm of the opinion it would be doable given the right housing design. Anyway, going a bit off topic now and again may be one thing but I don't want to want to see this thread get totally derailed. If anyone is interested in further discussion on the topic of an integrated dual focal length camera we can do it over in the thread where the above images and previous discussion on the subject originally came from. :)

I'm of the opinion it would be doable given the right housing design. Anyway, going a bit off topic now and again may be one thing but I don't want to want to see this thread get totally derailed. If anyone is interested in further discussion on the topic of an integrated dual focal length camera we can do it over in the thread where the above images and previous discussion on the subject originally came from. :)
Would probably be quite easy to do on this cam for an electronics hobbyist, just swap the second lens for a telephoto and rotate it 180°

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B073WQ7K6C

Would probably be quite easy to do on this cam for an electronics hobbyist, just swap the second lens for a telephoto and rotate it 180°

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B073WQ7K6C

To repeat what I just said in my post you are quoting, it would be best to continue the discussion over in the LINK I provided rather than here in this firmware mod thread. ;)

Edit: On second thought, it may be better to create a dedicated thread on the subject since the referenced thread is really about a specific varifocal lens. I'll see about creating one.

On second thought, it may be better to create a dedicated thread on the subject since the referenced thread is really about a specific varifocal lens. I'll see about creating one.
I see the time has come!

No my friend, it's neither overkill nor is it particularly distracting in any way. And it has literally nothing to do with whether or not you happen to be driving a high value vehicle.

A wide/telephoto combination dash cam set-up can be quite useful however and sometimes invaluable.

There are already dash cameras that use a wide angle and telephoto lens on the market. I had a cansonic duo 707. It had 2 lens built into one camera and they could be swiveled in any way. I drove with wide angle facing forward and telescopic pointing out my back window. Was a so so option but not nearly as nice as having a dedicated front facing and rear facing camera.

I doubt you're going to have a 3 channel camera any time soon. I.E. A wide angle + Telescopic front facing camera (Split Screen) and then a rear facing camera. I'm sure such a setup is possible, but it'll come at the expense of a more compressed picture being split screen.

I have found a problem with these modded firmware’s, both 4UJ yesterday morning and 7UJ this morning the camera didn’t turn on by itself! after around 5 to 10 minutes of driving I noticed the lights weren’t on the camera and it wasn’t turned on, has anyone else had this or know the reason for it?
The latest official FW1.50 added a boot delay option of 0 seconds, which can cause problems with the camera starting properly.

I can't remember if 0 seconds is the default setting on FW1.50, but it is the default on the recent MOD FW which are based on FW1.50.
I am running stock 1.50 firmware, have 0 sec boot delay, and never had an issue. Must be a bug in the modded firmware.
@BCHobbyist I'm using 6Uk and experienced an entire journey not being recorded after the camera failed to start. I have boot delay set to 5 seconds. I noticed this behaviour a few times with 0s boot delay, but not 5s.

There already exists cameras with wide angled and telescopic lenses built into a single housing. However you'd run into limitations either:

A. Split Screen for Front Facing Camera (Telescopic and Wide Angled)
B. Dedicated screen for rear camera

I.E. What we have now on our VioFo's minus top screen being cut in half for each vantage Point.

A. Dedicated Front Camera with a Top and Bottom Screen (One for Wide Angle and One Telescopic) instead of split screen.
B. Dedicated Rear Camera with it's own Memory Card

I doubt you're going to have a 3 channel camera any time soon. I.E. A wide angle + Telescopic front facing camera (Split Screen) and then a rear facing camera. I'm sure such a setup is possible, but it'll come at the expense of a more compressed picture being split screen.
There already exists cameras with wide angled and telescopic lenses built into a single housing. However you'd run into limitations either:

I.E. What we have now on our VioFo's minus top screen being cut in half for each vantage Point.

A. Dedicated Front Camera with a Top and Bottom Screen (One for Wide Angle and One Telescopic) instead of split screen.
The A129 and (most?) other dual-channel cameras do not record anything split-screen. The full 1920x1080 output from each camera is saved as a separate video file. You can, if you wish, combine them together in any way you like in video editing software at a later date.

The A129 display can be toggled to show front-only, rear-only, front with rear Picture-in-Picture (PIP), and rear with front PIP. But none of these display options affect the two separate video streams being recorded to the microSD card.

There are already dash cameras that use a wide angle and telephoto lens on the market. I had a cansonic duo 707. It had 2 lens built into one camera and they could be swiveled in any way. I drove with wide angle facing forward and telescopic pointing out my back window. Was a so so option but not nearly as nice as having a dedicated front facing and rear facing camera.

Wait! Didn't you say that dual lens cameras are overkill and distracting, but now you tell us you had one? :playful:

But anyway, you're quite right there have been attempts at dual lens cams going back many years, including this oddball one from over seven years ago. The point here is that now we have the technology to really make it happen on a high quality level.

Listen guys, I've tried to avoid having this thread get derailed into an unrelated subject out respect for @BCHobbyist and this interesting firmware thread. Let's try not to trash it any further going forward and post about dual lens cameras elsewhere, OK?

I don't have too much more time this evening but by tomorrow I hope to establish a dedicated thread about it. In the meantime post over in my varifocal thread if you feel impatient to discuss the subject. thanx.

Last edited:
The A129 and (most?) other dual-channel cameras do not record anything split-screen. The full 1920x1080 output from each camera is saved as a separate video file. You can, if you wish, combine them together in any way you like in video editing software at a later date.

The A129 display can be toggled to show front-only, rear-only, front with rear Picture-in-Picture (PIP), and rear with front PIP. But none of these display options affect the two separate video streams being recorded to the microSD card.

Sigh, you missed the point. You aren't going to be able to support 3 separate streams. I.E. Two Front (One Wide Angle & One Telescopic). And then a Rear Camera at 1080P.

So your options would be make the front a split screen view in one file and then give rear a dedicated view as already happens. Or run a dedicated front and dedicated rear camera with it's own memory card.

Wait! Didn't you say that dual lens cameras are overkill and distracting, but now you tell us you had one? :playful:

But anyway, you're quite right there have been attempts at dual lens cams going back many years, including this oddball one from over seven years ago. The point here is that now we have the technology to really make it happen on a high quality level.

Listen guys, I've tried to avoid having this thread get derailed into an unrelated subject out respect for @BCHobbyist and this interesting firmware thread. Let's try not to trash it any further going forward and post about dual lens cameras elsewhere, OK?

I don't have too much more time this evening but by tomorrow I hope to establish a dedicated thread about it. In the meantime post over in my varifocal thread if you feel impatient to discuss the subject. thanx.

I ran this camera because I didn't have anyone to help me hardwire a duo dash camera at the time. I pointed the regular lens forward and telescopic towards rear window.. It was the "best" I could do at that point.

Fast forward to the Viofo A129 Duo.... Without the help of my mechanic friend, I wouldn't have successfully installed this camera via a hardwire. Removing my A and C Pillars took some research but I managed. Anyone with IC / Curtain Airbags CANNOT tuck the wire into the Trim. Only acceptable install is to route behind airbag. Otherwise you may obstruct the curtain from deploying proper. Removing trimming to tuck wires under passenger foot well & Carpet was doable....

What I didn't know was how to solder Crimp the Fuse Taps to Hardwire Kit. And Mechanic friend did this AND soldered the wires, too. Something I still wouldn't be able to do myself. And of course test and use a proper fuse without affecting my electrical system.

I Tapped into the Driver Power Seat (Can use Passsenger Too) for Constant Power (Red).. Yellow I used an empty fuse. And Black needed mounted to a screw with a washer. That part was easy....

Not hijacking thread...But doing all the above required trial + error and a friend with know how. I was quoted $200-$350 (Or around 175-300 Euros) to have camera professionally installed...One piece of trim broke which was around $12 to replace..

People like @BCHobbyist[/USER are an asset to the modding community. But installing these cameras and customizing all require more than a basic skill set. Which is why a single camera is often easier for those without the ability to delve deeper.

Sigh, you missed the point. You aren't going to be able to support 3 separate streams. I.E. Two Front (One Wide Angle & One Telescopic). And then a Rear Camera at 1080P.

So your options would be make the front a split screen view in one file and then give rear a dedicated view as already happens. Or run a dedicated front and dedicated rear camera with it's own memory card.
Options are available already to do 3 individual 1080p streams, no need to split screen it

Running a higher bitrate firmware will of course take away from the lifetime of a camera based on a bitrate 50 or even 25% of that.
Same as if you let your TV be on all the time every day when in fact it is designed to be used for 8 hours or so a day, so if you did that your TV would last a shorter time.
I ran firmware's on the joovuu X cam all the way up to 40 mbit, but in the end settled on a bitrate of 28mbit, and using that the camera soldiered on for 2 years ( 2016 & 17 which was not all that good summers in Denmark ) before it died.
Personally i am wishing for higher bitrates in dashcams as i find the current levels a tad on the low side, and i feel it could be done, not least if you designed your camera for that, especially with remote cameras where you could make the main heat generating unit larger so it could accommodate a actual cooling solution which i have never seen in regular dashcams.

A big minus with running a high bitrate firmware are the larger file size it generate, my joovuu X cam made 3 minute files about 2X the size it did with the factory firmware, so 900 MB for every 3 minute are pretty significant.
And when storing on a memory card i find it is a bit silly.

Running a higher bitrate firmware will of course take away from the lifetime of a camera based on a bitrate 50 or even 25% of that.
Same as if you let your TV be on all the time every day when in fact it is designed to be used for 8 hours or so a day, so if you did that your TV would last a shorter time.
I ran firmware's on the joovuu X cam all the way up to 40 mbit, but in the end settled on a bitrate of 28mbit, and using that the camera soldiered on for 2 years ( 2016 & 17 which was not all that good summers in Denmark ) before it died.
Personally i am wishing for higher bitrates in dashcams as i find the current levels a tad on the low side, and i feel it could be done, not least if you designed your camera for that, especially with remote cameras where you could make the main heat generating unit larger so it could accommodate a actual cooling solution which i have never seen in regular dashcams.

A big minus with running a high bitrate firmware are the larger file size it generate, my joovuu X cam made 3 minute files about 2X the size it did with the factory firmware, so 900 MB for every 3 minute are pretty significant.
And when storing on a memory card i find it is a bit silly.

There's far more at play than simply larger file sizes. Running a high bitrate on the A129 Duo is analogous to overclocking a computer processor. Without proper heat dispersion, one of two things are going to happen:

1. The processor (or in this instance A129 Duo) shuts down due to overheating. Potentially damaging the internals (Blown Capacitor, Burnt Board, Blown Processor, etc).

2. Shortening the life of the said electronics (I.E. A129 Duo)... Because everything is running hotter and outside of "safe limits" as set forth by Viofo.

Now if Viofo took into account the potential for a 44mbit shared bitrate at time of design, and accounted for the potential of overclocking, then said failures are of little concern.

Which is why I'd like someone in the Southern Hemisphere to see whether

Door #1 (Catastrophic Failure / Premature Death) or Door #2 (Camera works fine overclocked in hot environment) ....

Back