Thikware Q800 Pro

Hi all! I'm new here and just wanted to ask a quick question. I'm in the market for either the just released Thinkware Q800PRO - OR - the Blackvue DR900S. They both look great. I was just wondering if any of you have any information yet on the Max Bitrate (Mbps) of the Q800PRO. I'm hoping it's a decent increase over the 10Mbps current rate. It doesn't look like it will do 60fps either (unfortunately). I'm not sure if the 900S does 60fps. Perhaps the next released Thinkware model will do 60fps. My objective is really good night views, as I do a lot of night driving. It's not difficult for any decent camera to perform well with plenty of light at high noon, but low light really separates the crowd. So long as sensors remain small this will be difficult and I realize the limitations of the technology at this time. I didn't want to go with the Street Guardian model. The online rep. at Blackboxmycar told me today the Q800PRO would be the better way to go over the 900S. Also, it looks like purchasing from "Blackboxmycar" is a good source in purchasing. Any thoughts on any of this?
:)

if night time performance is important to you then you won't like 60fps, 30fps will offer superior results, likewise a native 1080p sensor will offer better low light performance than ether of these, the sensors are higher resolution but the same physical size which means the pixels are smaller, that's nice during the day but at night they suffer, smaller pixels catch less light, that's just physics

Hmmm? So lower frame rates (30 instead of 60) and fewer lines of resolution (1080P instead of 1440P) render better low light performance. Then perhaps I should seek a camera with 20fps or 15fps at 720P if what you say is correct. Thanks for the information! Any cameras in this range that you would recommend?

if the sensor size was equal then yes a 720p sensor will have larger pixels, most 720p sensors are smaller form factor though, lower frame rate allows for more light, below 30fps though you'll start to notice that the video is not smooth which can be distracting to watch as it's not fluid, a lot of security cameras use lower frame rates to increase low light performance, sensor size and native resolution are important specs to look at if you're chasing low light performance

I'm learning . . . so are there any cams you would recommend I look at with particularly good low light capability in the 30fps - 720p or 1080p range? I was relying on what the Blackboxmycar rep was telling me. Guess he was wrong. He recommended the new Q800 with 2K, but it now sounds like that is going in the wrong direction and 4K would really be going the wrong way for good low light use.

even in the brands you're looking at you'll find their native 1080p products will out perform their higher res products, there's no escaping physics

there's plenty of example footage here and elsewhere, have a look around, ask questions, you'll find the answers yourself without relying on advice from a salesperson

I found these! Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO and Street Guardian SG9663DC . . . the videos day and night look great! Don't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other fancy units but the videos look so good. I don't know if my iPhone can control or display the views in real time but they still look like a good units. Do any of you know if one is better than another in terms of video quality? I'm so glad I found you folks because man was I on the wrong track before.

Thanks "Street Guardian USA" . . . I'll give you a PM when I pin down the unit that will work best for me! I'm new and didn't even know as a dashcamtalk member I might be eligible for a discount . . . this place is great!

Anyone else using the Q800 pro? I've had it for about a few weeks or so and lately I've been trying to get the cloud to work. It connects just fine to a hotspot but it absolutely refuses to broadcast it's location when i try to find it in the cloud app.

And now it seems my F800 pro refuses to register to the cloud. I did get the f800 pro to work before but now I can't even get it to register to my cloud account. It has been excruciating trying to get this to work.

Reactions: RLS
I see this is now available for purchase in the US (I hope it's not pre-order via blackbox?).

Do you have a video comparing 2 channel day and night time recordings of Q800Pro vs BV900S? Would love to see the night visions in comparison (especially the super night vision from Q800Pro).

Cheers

Just got back from a month long trip to Asia. I preordered the Q800 Pro, and I finally opened the package that has been waiting for me.

I will see if I can get it setup, along with a F800 Pro, DR900S, DR750S, etc?

TBH, I never liked the DR900S because it would overheat and the night performance is subpar to basically any dashcam with the Sony Starvis (usually IMX291). I swapped it out for the Qvia QR790 with the 1440P Starvis sensor, which I wouldn’t be surprised if the Q800 Pro also uses. Disclaimer: I removed it a while back. The 4K is nice during the day I guess, but it overheated multiple times in parking mode. ~90F sunny day in S. California, parked in the sun, black on black car with 35% tint.

I will be ripping apart the Q800 Pro soon. [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found these! Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO and Street Guardian SG9663DC . . . the videos day and night look great! Don't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other fancy units but the videos look so good. I don't know if my iPhone can control or display the views in real time but they still look like a good units. Do any of you know if one is better than another in terms of video quality? I'm so glad I found you folks because man was I on the wrong track before.

Not to get off topic, but I have both the SG9663DC and a SGGCX2Pro w/ Rear Cam. They are amazing cameras, with customer service second to none.

Not all IMX291 cameras are the same tbh. Anyone that tells you so, is just playing favorites with a product they own or are “sponsored” by.

FYI, I have basically every dashcam on the market lol. So in comparison to:
- DR750S (better parking mode, above average heat tolerance)
- F800 Pro (better parking mode, horrible audio, overheats the fastest)
- iRoad X9 (ugh the jdr format... I should write a shell script to just convert all video files to mp4 FFS!, a bit too wide angle lens, I had to make a custom CPL for it lol)

Also, you don’t need all the bells and whistles. TBH, I don’t remember the last time I just HAD to have a fancy feature, or even WiFi. Just get a MicroSD card reader adapter for your mobile phone. I have a lightning adapter to use with my iPhone, in every car.

I run the 9663DC in one of my daily’s, and the SGGCX2Pro (quite the name to type haha) in my race car. I got it because the LED’s are on top of the screen so I could mount it up behind the rear view mirror yet still see the LED’s blink to know it’s working. Also, these cameras work with >256GB memory cards too. Just tested them with the latest 512GB’s before my trip. YMMV though with memory cards haha. @jokiin

P.s. well, actually... I just used WiFi to set date/time on ALL my dashcams since I was away for a month. Don’t know how much time it saved me versus changing the settings manually.

and the SGGCX2Pro (quite the name to type haha) in my race car. I got it because the LED’s are on top of the screen so I could mount it up behind the rear view mirror yet still see the LED’s blink to know it’s working. Also, these cameras work with >256GB memory cards too. Just tested them with the latest 512GB’s before my trip. YMMV though with memory cards haha. @jokiin
are you running the X2PRO single or dual channel?

we've been testing 512GB cards recently also

are you running the X2PRO single or dual channel?

we've been testing 512GB cards recently also

X2Pro is currently removed from the race car; swapped with another 9663DC of mine. Before I left, I had it running non-stop on a few different 400GB and 512GB memory cards haha....... both in single channel mode and also connected to the 9663DC’s rear camera. Also did this with the 9663DC prior [emoji2957]

I was trying to see which dashcams could work well with higher capacity cards...

ok, we have an update for the X2PRO+ you may have been interested in but the change only applies to single channel mode, no good at the moment if you sometimes want to run the DC rear cam, another change coming that will make that a possibility though

ok, we have an update for the X2PRO+ you may have been interested in but the change only applies to single channel mode, no good at the moment if you sometimes want to run the DC rear cam, another change coming that will make that a possibility though

Ah, I will keep that in mind! So much to catch up on since I’ve been traveling.

Still crossing my fingers on the DR! [emoji120]

Just got back from a month long trip to Asia. I preordered the Q800 Pro, and I finally opened the package that has been waiting for me.

I will see if I can get it setup, along with a F800 Pro, DR900S, DR750S, etc?

TBH, I never liked the DR900S because it would overheat and the night performance is subpar to basically any dashcam with the Sony Starvis (usually IMX291). I swapped it out for the Qvia QR790 with the 1440P Starvis sensor, which I wouldn’t be surprised if the Q800 Pro also uses. Disclaimer: I removed it a while back. The 4K is nice during the day I guess, but it overheated multiple times in parking mode. ~90F sunny day in S. California, parked in the sun, black on black car with 35% tint.

I will be ripping apart the Q800 Pro soon. [emoji851]

black on black, thats like an oven hah. I use to only have black cars and I got tired of it, now i got a tan tacoma and a white prius. I think my DR900 over heated once, and where I live its cold winters but we get 90 degree days in the summer, sometimes 100+ but not often. Thats definitely one of its issues but I still like using it as my main camera in one of my vehicles.

I found out why my Q800 wasn't working over the cloud though, I was using a unreleased beta firmware from thinkware, the one thats supposed to improve video quality. But apparently it wasn't ready for public release and cloud didn't work with it. At least thats what i was told, so i gotta go back to the publicly released firmware to test the cloud, unless the new firmware comes out in time.

Back