A129 3M Adhesive on Tinted Windows?

RavenManiac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, mini 0806 (RIP)
I'm getting ready to have the windows in my 2012 Honda CR-V tinted with Llumar Ceramic Window Tint. I'm assuming that if install the A129 mount directly to the tint it can never be removed without damaging the tint. Is that correct?

Wrong, everything is easily removed.

20-35-44-����0831.jpg

Really? How long did you let your window tint cure?

Also, what am I looking at? Did you remove your mount with a credit card? Perhaps I'm doing it wrong. I tend to use fishing string. :)

BTW, I didn't know you could apply tint over the front window dots. Are you sure that's not factory window tint?

This is a tinted strip Llumar glued on silk-screen printing, I remove all fastenings with the help of a sharpened old credit card, you can use a fishing line or a string from a guitar, just a silk thread.

P.S. In Russia, you can make a toning strip on the windshield with a width of 14 cm

Last edited:
Good to know. Do you remember how long you let the tint cure before you mounted the dashcam?

Good to know. Do you remember how long you let the tint cure before you mounted the dashcam?
Tinting film should harden in 3-4 days, but not less.

Easiest method that's safe for tinted windows is to use a heat gun/blow dryer to heat up the adhesive of the mount for 5-10 seconds, and slowly peel off.

Just don't go overboard with the heat build up as otherwise it loosens the tint's adhesive as well.

You can ask your tint installer. They can answer all your questions, well, unless you're doing it yourself. In that case, disregard

Well, I guess we'll find out. I had tint done a few years ago. It was the really good 3M stuff and wasn't cheap.

Just finished installing my A129 kit. If I have to reposition the rear camera later, I guess I'll find out whether the tint film stays attached to the glass. :/

I'm getting ready to have the windows in my 2012 Honda CR-V tinted with Llumar Ceramic Window Tint. I'm assuming that if install the A129 mount directly to the tint it can never be removed without damaging the tint. Is that correct?

I'll be honest. I have tinted windows and ended up mounting my Front and Rear on an arkon suction cup mount. Had an accident and realized that the camera not sitting against the window creates a glare and harder to read license plates. Because the tint darkens the window, and not being flush, is a disadvantage.

I broke down and just mounted on the tint. Someone mentioned that using Dental floss to slowly cut the adhesive pad will work. Followed by a goo remover after adhesive is removed.

It's been about 10 days since I had my windows tinted and tonight I reinstalled my A129. As luck would have it, I screwed up the placement of the rear camera. I immediately removed the mount using fishing string and then balled up the remainder of the 3M adhesive with my fingers. Much to my surprise, it didn't mess up the tint at all. :)

It's been about 10 days since I had my windows tinted and tonight I reinstalled my A129. As luck would have it, I screwed up the placement of the rear camera. I immediately removed the mount using fishing string and then balled up the remainder of the 3M adhesive with my fingers. Much to my surprise, it didn't mess up the tint at all. :)

It's a bit difference once the adhesive cures a bit. But yes, use floss or fishing wire in the future if removal is necessary.

Back