Viofo A129 Pro Dual Dashcam - 4K Front + 1080 Rear

A129 Pro 4K - Dynamic Range

When commenting on the brightness of the front and rear cameras, it is important to remember that the front and rear cameras of the A129 Pro are very different from each other. The 4K front camera has a high resolution IMX317 sensor which also has a very wide dynamic range (even without enabling WDR). The FHD rear camera has a high sensitivity IMX291 Starvis sensor with a lower dynamic range.

Driving around town early this morning in bright sunlight with strong shadows, the front camera with CPL fitted maintains a very good exposure, with detail in the shadows and limited areas of burnt out highlights. The rear camera (set to EV +1/3) also maintains a decent exposure, however the shadows are darker and there are more over-exposed highlights.

Front camera 4K 30fps / EV 0 / WDR off / CPL on

Rear camera FHD 30fps / EV+1/3 / WDR off / CPL off
Beautiful! Both town and the image quality!

I think my A129 Pro overheated today when I was parked at the roadside while waiting for my wife. Heard the A129 Pro restarted and was like this (watch video) until I slid it off the GPS mount and back on.

30 minutes later, my Thinkware Q800 Pro shut down after it informed me that it is "auto protection shutting down due to high temperature".

I think my A129 Pro overheated today when I was parked at the roadside while waiting for my wife. Heard the A129 Pro restarted and was like this (watch video) until I slid it off the GPS mount and back on.

30 minutes later, my Thinkware Q800 Pro shut down after it informed me that it is "auto protection shutting down due to high temperature".
Do you have it attached to the HK3 hardwire kit?

It may have switched into parking mode because your GPS speed was 0 Km/h for 5 minutes?
Which parking mode do you have it set to?

Do you have it attached to the HK3 hardwire kit?

It may have switched into parking mode because your GPS speed was 0 Km/h for 5 minutes?
Which parking mode do you have it set to?

Was using the Viofo USB charger. Parking mode is off.

The A129 Pro was very hot to the touch.

Was using the Viofo USB charger. Parking mode is off.

The A129 Pro was very hot to the touch.
It is a 4K camera, it is designed to get very hot to the touch, you should not worry about that.

The flashing record LED on your video looks exactly the same as when it is in event buffered parking mode and not recording to memory card.
I have not seen what happens when it gets too hot, would be nice if Viofo flashed the LED at a different speed so that we know what it means!
Did you try pressing a button to cancel the screen saver?

Since you were parked, it would have helped to have Event Buffered Parking mode turned on, then when it saw movement it would still record, but on the current firmware only at 10fps and since it is doing less work would be able to cope with more heat. 10fps is enough for a 4K camera when you are parked, it will still see all the number plates.

Edit: If you using the USB adaptor and GPS mount then it will take 5 minutes to enter parking mode after the car stops moving.

Last edited:
what was the local temp there today?

My car said outside temp was 34C.

First time I've encountered my Thinkware auto-shutdown due to high temperature.

what was the local temp there today?
Looks like 31 and 70% humidity, but if parked with no airflow then inside the windscreen could be a lot more...

It is a 4K camera, it is designed to get very hot to the touch, you should not worry about that.

The flashing record LED on your video looks exactly the same as when it is in event buffered parking mode and not recording to memory card.
I have not seen what happens when it gets too hot, would be nice if Viofo flashed the LED at a different speed so that we know what it means!
Did you try pressing a button to cancel the screen saver?

Since you were parked, it would have helped to have Event Buffered Parking mode turned on, then when it saw movement it would still record, but on the current firmware only at 10fps and since it is doing less work would be able to cope with more heat. 10fps is enough for a 4K camera when you are parked, it will still see all the number plates.

I've tried pressing the buttons and was not responding.

Checked the video files, can see it stopped recording at 1:54pm. At 1:58pm restarted recording after I slid the A129 Pro off & on the GPS mount. I restarted the A129 Pro at 1:59pm also.

1566638181640.png

I've tried pressing the buttons and was not responding.

Checked the video files, can see it stopped recording at 1:54pm. At 1:58pm restarted recording after I slid the A129 Pro off & on the GPS mount. I restarted the A129 Pro at 1:59pm also.

View attachment 48173
Do all the files play or is the one from when it stopped corrupt.
If it crashed then I would expect a corrupt one, if it shut down due to over temperature then I would hope they all play OK.
I've never tried the over temperature protection though, so don't know what actually happens...

Do all the files play or is the one from when it stopped corrupt.
If it crashed then I would expect a corrupt one, if it shut down due to over temperature then I would hope they all play OK.
I've never tried the over temperature protection though, so don't know what actually happens...

The last video file still can play and it's 10s long. But the A129 Pro restarted as I heard the bootup tone first then I saw the blank screen and the flashing red LEDs.

My screensaver was set at 1 min but the screen was not showing after reboot.

The last video file still can play and it's 10s long. But the A129 Pro restarted as I heard the bootup tone first then I saw the blank screen and the flashing red LEDs.

My screensaver was set at 1 min but the screen was not showing after reboot.
The screensaver is automatically enabled in parking mode, I would expect it to be enabled on an over temperature too.

Don't know if it is supposed to reboot on an over temperature, possible that it is so that it can enter a very low power mode, also the bootup tone lets you know that there is an issue, it is good to know if it is not recording.

The screensaver is automatically enabled in parking mode, I would expect it to be enabled on an over temperature too.

Don't know if it is supposed to reboot on an over temperature, possible that it is so that it can enter a very low power mode, also the bootup tone lets you know that there is an issue, it is good to know if it is not recording.

Understand but I didn't enable parking mode yet.

Was not recording when rebooted though.

ok, shouldn't be overheating in those sorts of conditions, could it have been a card error maybe?
Not sure but my Thinkware Q800 Pro also auto shutdown after informing that it was auto protection from high temperature.

Back