SG9663DC Rear Camera footage with Factory Tinted Rear Screen

ok.. so I got replacement camera today and tried it just now but something else has to be wrong as same white artifacts are shown even with new camera :/
Image from front one is ok but I am now wondering, could it be some hardware issue in front cam maybe?

After I release brake you can see those artifacts.. they are more visible after 20th second and on fullscreen

yes.. I just replaced old camera with new one so its same place behind tinted window and with "old" cable

For the test purpose use 2nd supplied video cable to mount rear camera temporary out from side door opened window to avoid any glass related artifacts. See how those recordings looks like.

Here is video behind windshield and then without.. its like it look a bit better behind window :D
This is old camera though.. I forgot to take this kind of video with replacement one..

Here is front cam for comparison.. not that is any good quality either (compared to videos of other people)
It seems quite blurry with occasional noise.. But TBH it was raining a bit so maybe that is the reason

And here is replacement rear camera behind tinted glass.. You can see lot of noise until car speeds up a bit so I am wondering if it can be something with firmware or actual front camera hardware.. dont know, really..

Last edited:
I can't see any of your videos at the moment, I'm in China and YouTube is blocked, @niko is on the way back to Ireland still after the electronics shows in Hong Kong so it might be a day or two until he has a chance to check it

isnt that just normal low light camera reactions?

isnt that just normal low light camera reactions?
I was thinking the same thing. I have an X2Pro+ versus the DCPRO but the video quality is pretty much the same as what I get with mine under similar lighting conditions.

yes digital cameras do that in general.. but I would still expect better handling of such conditions with top level camera.. of course I dont mind lower video quality as there is nothing what can be done at night. But if video is full of noise instead of being just dark or darker then its really weird :)

like here for example guy has budget camera and it does the same (around 0:40) https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/blurry-video-under-low-light.37477/
and on the other hand there are plenty of dashcam videos online with low lightning conditions where no such noise is shown

Noise can be reduced, at the expense of detail, most vehicles these days do have tinted rear windows which will add to the problem if things are dialled back to reduce noise in low light situations

yes exactly.. so some global solution will be needed anyway..
maybe some kind of setting for ISO in the next firmware release? or just make it foolproof and call it "reduce noise (less detail) - ON/OFF" :D

isnt front and back camera same hardware nowadays? coz it doesnt do it for front camera.. I can still try to take front camera out and use cable provided for 2-wire and see if it is different without window

front and rear hardware is the same, they need to be tuned differently though, tinted windows is one reason, another is much lower lighting, taillights do little to light up the scene compared to what headlights do for the front, there's no one size fits all so it's about finding a balance

Back