Another 'help me choose'.. Auto photo upload?

bbstripes

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello all! I've been reading on this site for a while, but if anything it's getting more difficult to find a suitable dashcam. What I'm looking for may be available but just not mentioned (and a lot of manuals are so so horrible!) or maybe it's just not possible. Here's what I'd like your help with:

A friend and myself are going to California in April. We're going to be in San Francisco for a few days, then drive around for 2 weeks, go to Coachella and then head home after a few days in Las Vegas. I was thinking that a dashcam would be cool to record some video, but also that we could perhaps use it to upload photos every X minutes. With GPS coordinates, that would be a nice (and geeky) way of letting friends and family know where we are all the time.

First I was thinking along the lines of using a Raspberry Pi with a camera module , but I've yet to find a camera module with similar aperture at a decent price (if I were to buy a dashcam just for the video, I'd probably go for something like the DOD LS430W, because of the F1.6 aperture lens). And of course I'd rather buy something that works off the shelf instead of having to find someone to build the Raspberry Pi solution for me. But a dashcam would be great because we'd also have some video, that I can use to make an 'after movie' when we get back.

So, bottom line, the ideal device for me would be a dashcam with great video quality, also at night, which can also take a picture at set intervals (the uploading could perhaps be done via a WiFi enabled SD card). With GPS of course :)

Can you guys think of a device that can do this? Or would I just need to get both a dashcam and build something else for the pictures?

-edit- Especially for video quality I'll have to have some kind of reference, so based on the info on this forum I just purchased an RX300 with GPS. That way I can hopefully provide you guys with comparison material in the future!

Last edited:
As I know, there are no such dashcams systems yet available with descent video quality to auto-upload and record at the same time.
Best solution ( cheapest ) would be making coffe-brake stops, take microsd, put into your smart phone and upload videos / photos for sharing. Or just buy 2 memory cards and while one is used for recording while driving, other passenger ( friend ) can deal with second memory card ( recorded footage ) to upload / share files.
If you know what I mean.

Thanks Niko. The thing is though, that I don't want (need) to upload the video. So switching cards or something like that is no problem. But for the photos, I would like those uploaded every X minutes, 24 hours per day. But if I understand you correctly, it's not possible as far as you know because it would require recording and uploading at the same time. Also, I think it might just not be possible because an interval upload function is something very specific, which doesn't really suit the goal of a dashcam. That could mean that I'd have to work with something like the Raspberry Pi (and find myself a decent lens for that).

If anyone else has suggestions, feel free to add!

You could definitely use the eye-fi card solution. My question would be how much data you would need to upload those photos continuously and the speed necessary to make sure you don't bottleneck the system. There are of course micro sd to full size SD adapters since eye if card don't come in micro size

The technology you seek that incorporates file uploading exists but unfortunately it is not available in a dash cam. For the time being, it is targeted to the Sports Cam market and as far as I know hasn't even made it into any action cameras as yet but I wouldn't be surprised to see a version of this technology appear first in the GoPro. (the Hero 4 is speculated to use the A9 chip) I imagine streaming to a network will eventually be incorporated into dash cams. (I hope so!) The chip I'm describing here is the Ambarella A7 - Hybrid DV/DSC 1080p60 Camera SoC. (pdf)

"The A7 delivers full HD 1080p60 or 4Mp30 H.264 video recording, the highest resolution available for consumer level cameras. Its fast high-speed sensor interface and capture capability of 500 MPixels/s enables numerous new features including smooth slow-motion replay for sports action, high dynamic range (HDR) processing, and best-picture from a series of shots.

Outstanding still image quality is achieved even in low-light conditions through the combination of high-ISO speed, 3D motion-compensated noise reduction (MCTF) and multiple exposures.

A second stream, which may be encoded simultaneously with the Full HD video, can be streamed to a network over WiFi or 3G/4G using a network-enabled application running on the high-performance 528MHz ARM 11 processor."

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Niko. I wasn't aware of this. So far I think the Ambarella A7 and A9 look like they have the best potential. (actual streaming.)

You could definitely use the eye-fi card solution. My question would be how much data you would need to upload those photos continuously and the speed necessary to make sure you don't bottleneck the system. There are of course micro sd to full size SD adapters since eye if card don't come in micro size
It doesn't have to be continuously. I was thinking 1 photo every 10 minutes. I'm not sure if the eye-fi card would work though. It seems that will only upload pictures to either a computer, or an iPhone/iPad/Android device. I'd have to have some kind of sync, or upload from that device to the internet myself. Apart from the fact that I'd need a camera that takes pictures automatically at an interval. With GPS coordinates as meta data of course, because I might as well do it right.

The technology you seek that incorporates file uploading exists but unfortunately it is not available in a dash cam. For the time being, it is targeted to the Sports Cam market and as far as I know hasn't even made it into any action cameras as yet but I wouldn't be surprised to see a version of this technology appear first in the GoPro. (the Hero 4 is speculated to use the A9 chip) I imagine streaming to a network will eventually be incorporated into dash cams. (I hope so!) The chip I'm describing here is the Ambarella A7 - Hybrid DV/DSC 1080p60 Camera SoC. (pdf)

"The A7 delivers full HD 1080p60 or 4Mp30 H.264 video recording, the highest resolution available for consumer level cameras. Its fast high-speed sensor interface and capture capability of 500 MPixels/s enables numerous new features including smooth slow-motion replay for sports action, high dynamic range (HDR) processing, and best-picture from a series of shots.

Outstanding still image quality is achieved even in low-light conditions through the combination of high-ISO speed, 3D motion-compensated noise reduction (MCTF) and multiple exposures.

A second stream, which may be encoded simultaneously with the Full HD video, can be streamed to a network over WiFi or 3G/4G using a network-enabled application running on the high-performance 528MHz ARM 11 processor."
Even if I did have a (probably very expensive) A7 powered device, this describes another video stream. I'd still need to take pictures from that and upload them. I think I need to start a shopping list and put a Raspberry Pi, a GPS module, a WiFi module and a decent camera on it. And someone geekier than myself to do the scripting.

Even if I did have a (probably very expensive) A7 powered device, this describes another video stream. I'd still need to take pictures from that and upload them.

bbstripes, If you take a look at the PDF file I linked you will see that the device is capable of uploading still photos to the network as well as video. I'm not sure if it will do time lapse though. (edit: Wait, it apparently does multiple simultaneous captures of video and stills) Cost? Well, that's another issue altogether but for a cutting edge technology that hasn't really even made it to market yet one should expect it not to be cheap.

I wonder if there any Android mobile App out there that could do all commands @bbstripes requested ?
In this case he can mount mobile phone to the car windshield and rest is up to App ;)
I thin even if such App not out there, it still will be much quicker and easier to write this App, rather waiting for that Perfect high-end expencive dashcam system solution ;)

bbstripes, If you take a look at the PDF file I linked you will see that the device is capable of uploading still photos to the network as well as video. I'm not sure if it will do time lapse though. (edit: Wait, it apparently does multiple simultaneous captures of video and stills) Cost? Well, that's another issue altogether but for a cutting edge technology that hasn't really even made it to market yet one should expect it not to be cheap.
You're correct, sorry for jumping to conclusions. Although not a realistic solution for me, at this time, it is something that could do what I'm looking for.

I wonder if there any Android mobile App out there that could do all commands @bbstripes requested ?
In this case he can mount mobile phone to the car windshield and rest is up to App ;)
I thin even if such App not out there, it still will be much quicker and easier to write this App, rather waiting for that Perfect high-end expencive dashcam system solution ;)
True, although the image quality of mobile phones under low light conditions is usually not that great. But other than that, an Android phone will have GPS, WiFi and a camera, and I know someone I could bribe for the app itself. I guess that it'll either be that, or find a solution consisting of a Raspberry Pi and some kind of camera PCB. I'll need to think about this some more.

Thanks for the help so far though! Much appreciated :)

-edit- I did find a dashcam based on the A7:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1438784131/Ambarella_A7_Super_full_HD_2304.html

Some of the features:
6.Auto loop recording and separate interval setting
9.The video can be monitored simultaneously during driving recording and live broadcast is supported.

I've contacted the manufacturer to get some more details, could be an interesting device depending on the firmware.

Last edited:
You're correct, sorry for jumping to conclusions. Although not a realistic solution for me, at this time, it is something that could do what I'm looking for.

True, although the image quality of mobile phones under low light conditions is usually not that great. But other than that, an Android phone will have GPS, WiFi and a camera, and I know someone I could bribe for the app itself. I guess that it'll either be that, or find a solution consisting of a Raspberry Pi and some kind of camera PCB. I'll need to think about this some more.

Thanks for the help so far though! Much appreciated :)

-edit- I did find a dashcam based on the A7:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1438784131/Ambarella_A7_Super_full_HD_2304.html

Some of the features:
9.The video can be monitored simultaneously during driving recording and live broadcast is supported.

I've contacted the manufacturer to get some more details, could be an interesting device depending on the firmware.

That model is sold under "Scanner" name in China or Taiwan ( don't remember which exact website I saw ), but I am afraid for that price they advertise you will not be able to buy it on good Ambarella A7 platform. I think they use there entry level A7 ?. They always have some "small print".
Also there are some inconsistency in their specs: H.264 video compression technology ensures real 1080P30 fluent video recording. VS title Super full HD 2304 x 1296 ?

Hm you're right. And for that price I guess that was to be expected. Still, if that device somehow does offer simultaneous recording of video and uploading of photos, good ol' 1080p is good enough for me. And perhaps it's worth getting a sample and ripping it apart :)

Hm you're right. And for that price I guess that was to be expected. Still, if that device somehow does offer simultaneous recording of video and uploading of photos, good ol' 1080p is good enough for me. And perhaps it's worth getting a sample and ripping it apart :)

My experience shows : "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is" , but you can try and let us know ;)

Some of the features:

6 is a standard feature
9 is I think referring to the AV output that's all

It doesn't have to be continuously. I was thinking 1 photo every 10 minutes. I'm not sure if the eye-fi card would work though. It seems that will only upload pictures to either a computer, or an iPhone/iPad/Android device. I'd have to have some kind of sync, or upload from that device to the internet myself. Apart from the fact that I'd need a camera that takes pictures automatically at an interval. With GPS coordinates as meta data of course, because I might as well do it right.

Even if I did have a (probably very expensive) A7 powered device, this describes another video stream. I'd still need to take pictures from that and upload them. I think I need to start a shopping list and put a Raspberry Pi, a GPS module, a WiFi module and a decent camera on it. And someone geekier than myself to do the scripting.
Looking at the eye fi site it seems possible to upload the pictures where you want automatically if there is a wifi connection using what they call Relay Transfer.
The only trick is to find a camera that takes time-lapse photos at your desired interval

Can I just say after doing a trip similar to yours, there is nothing so boring as endless videos of roads and a bit of scenery on the edges.

I saved all the video from my dashcam on a recent 5 week trip in the USA and NO ONE me included could be bothered to watch it for more than a few minutes.

Likewise quite a few years ago a friend did similar and sent the tapes back home to be watched Bloody tar seal. Soon sent him a letter to say, would like to see something other than the bonnet of your car.

Its a sad fact but holiday films and pictures are best watched in a dark room by the person who did the holiday as most of my friends would have to be tied down to be remotely interested.

Your family and friends maybe different but after several trips overseas I have always had the same reception

Would seem a shame to spend a lot of money for nothing

Also we did find both on the coast and in the deserts cell communication was flaky at times depending on your provider.
We used At & T which was poor outside of Vegas and at the Grand Canyon whereas Verizon was getting signal at the Canyon

Something else to be considered

Last edited:
What might be possible is if you have a time lapse app on your phone and install dropsync.

You can set dropsync to monitor a folder and it will upload any new files to dropbox since its last sync.

So if you set it to monitor the folder where the time lapse app saves its photos, every time a file is created, dropsync will upload it to dropbox.

You can also set it to delete the photos from your phone once they're uploaded, to save space.

Most phones will add gps coordinates to photos. Whether the time lapse app will, I don't know.

[Edit] Tina timelapse looks like it'll do the job. Geotagging is in beta for it but it'll probably work. App is free!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tina.time_lapse

Last edited:
Back