WF1 WiFi connection to Smartphone Fail!

I can not seem to get videos to transfer correctly wirelessly from my WF-1 to my GS4. 3 min clips seem to move really slowly and now that i am trying to watch them on my phone the two regular clips i tried to transfer only play for a few seconds and then it comes up as saying video unsupported. So today i happened to have an event clip that i wanted to archive. The video started saving faster because it was a smaller clip, but only got up to %12 saved and then the camera voice prompt said WiFi disconnected recording started even though my phone still showed being connected to the WF-1 WiFi SSID, and the same thing happened only about the first 5 seconds of the clip played on my phone then it came up video unsupported.

Also forgot to mention that long pressings on a video on the camera only lets you delete it from the camera's micro sd card. You have to select the video let it play and click save on that screen.

I would like to see Vico change it so a long press choice along with delete would be to save the video this may speed the saving process up, and might cure my saving error since the Wifi does not have to work as hard streaming and saving at the same time.

:EDIT:
I just now tried to resave my event video wirelessly and it went decently fast and saved completely.
For some reason my WF 1 seems to disconnect from my phone sometimes even though my phone shows it as still being connected to the WF 1 access point.
I have to disable my WiFi and then turn it back on to get the app working again.

When I get a chance, I'll do ViewViewer WiFi performance tests of iPhone 5S vs Android S2 & S4. I'll see if I can reproduce the behaviors so we have solid info to give support. (for stability/performance enhancement requests)

When I get a chance, I'll do ViewViewer WiFi performance tests of iPhone 5S vs Android S2 & S4. I'll see if I can reproduce the behaviors so we have solid info to give support. (for stability/performance enhancement requests)
Just a heads up.
I just noticed the Android version has been updated to 1.1.5 since last Monday November 11. It was just pushed to my phone (just realized my phone only gets Updates pushed when i connect to WiFi or manually check)

Log says
"Improve reliability when saving camera videos to device." I'll give it a try in the next few days here and see how it is.

:EDIT: I just gave it a quick shot with my WF-1
My WiFi from my WF-1 has always been broadcasting, and my phone has been able to connect, but the Application has seemed to get disconnected from the camera a few times, but with this new update I was able to connect and transfer an Event Record. It went at about 2% per second.

I was able to play the video back in the Viewer Application with no issues, but just wanted to mention that under my stock Gallery Application the Viewer creates two folders with the same folder title. One has the Event Video thumbnail picture. The other has what i guess is the video, but it won't play with my stock video player. It's not a huge deal though as it plays back correctly in the Vico Viewer.

Lastly on an App front in this update the only long press option is still to delete the video off the card. I had to open the video, pause it, and then click save but if it keeps working correctly I am happy.

I meant to try saving a full 3 min clip, but it is about 27/-3 so below freezing. Way to damn cold for me.

2wlsqc3.jpg

Here is what i had to deal with yesterday. It was so cold my TF2 suction mount would not stick to my windscreen, and today you would never know that it snowed other then it being cold enough to use the out doors as a deep freezer.

Last edited:
So I'm having difficulties with my WiFi as well. Can connect to the WF1 by WiFi but the VicoViewer app hangs at "Searching for Camera". I'm using Android 4.2.2 on a Sony Xperia ZL.

Yesterday, for the first ever power-up of my brand new WF1, I took it to my car with a new, never used microSD card and powered up in the car using the adapter. The system booted properly, I connected to WiFi and the VicoViewer app found the camera and I could play with all the settings. Great.

So I went back inside with the micro SD card, loaded the updated .bin file for the new firmware release, went back to the car, powered up and the upgrade completed fine. I was able to get back into the VicoViewer app and see the new features in the new firmware release. So far, so good.

EDIT [forgot to add that after the update, I formatted the card in the unit using the app, as recommended by VicoVation. Maybe improper format happened?]

But, this only lasted about a minute or so, and then the connection dropped. Since then, I can connect by WiFi, but the VicoViewer app hangs and can't find the camera. After trying a few times yesterday and today again, I finally held the button down to reset the WF1 to factory, but that didn't help. The app still can't find the camera. I took the microSD card out and the system is recording. I can tell the update had been successful, as the seconds were present on the screen, then after I did the factory reset, they were gone again.

Suggestions to try? I will try uninstalling and reinstalling the VicoViewer app, and I will also download the new firmware again and try to upgrade again and see if that fixes the issue. Other than that, not really sure what else to do.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it might be that your phone is not yet supported. A few months ago I had the same issue with a new Galaxy S4 while JazJon was able to use the app fine on an S2. He had to talk to andopen a support ticket with Vico staff and they fixed the issue.

Try to get a hold of an iPhone, iPod, Galaxy S2 or Galaxy S4 and see if you can connect. Mine has a little hickup now and again, but it will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately it might be that your phone is not yet supported. A few months ago I had the same issue with a new Galaxy S4 while JazJon was able to use the app fine on an S2. He had to talk to andopen a support ticket with Vico staff and they fixed the issue.

Try to get a hold of an iPhone, iPod, Galaxy S2 or Galaxy S4 and see if you can connect. Mine has a little hickup now and again, but it will work.

+1
What he said

I tried again without success, using a clean install of 1.51 firmware and app.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try installing the previous firmware, 1.47, to see if that will work, because it did work right out of the box for a few minutes using the previous firmware it shipped with.

If that fails, I'll probably return it, since it isn't really that functional without being able to change settings or check the viewing angle on my phone.

.Tomorrow, I'm going to try installing the previous firmware, 1.47, to see if that will work, because it did work right out of the box for a few minutes using the previous firmware it shipped with.
If that is even possible 1.51 made huge improvements to video quality so going back would result in worse night time quality if i remember correctly. It's not completely horrible with decent lighting, but 1.51 is recommended if possible.

Yeah, I contacted my vendor and they put a support ticket in with VicoVation. They also recommended not to roll back the firmware, so I'm just going to hold off until I hear back from the manufacturer through my vendor.

Yeah, I contacted my vendor and they put a support ticket in with VicoVation. They also recommended not to roll back the firmware, so I'm just going to hold off until I hear back from the manufacturer through my vendor.

I have a direct contact if your vendor isn't getting back to you in a timely fashion. The whole Vicovation team is very quick with support issues. Keep us posted.

My vendor (Blackboxmycar) has been excellent so far - they responded within 10 minutes to my after hours support request and put the ticket in with Vico, then let me know that the Vico English Department team backed up and responding slower than normal at the moment since they were all at CES and quite busy. They updated me again 24 hrs later and said they are still waiting, would e-mail Vico again with my issue, so they are on top of it. I have no problem being patient for a few days waiting for Vico to respond to the vendor.

Thanks for your offer of help though. If I don't get resolution after a few more days, I'll keep it in mind.

Here is the reply from VicoVation, provided by my vendor:
Because Sony android system is not really stable when connect with WF1 WiFi signal.
This problem is on our R&D team list to solved.
And we will update the VicoViewer App version so make the compatibility better so that the connection issue can be solved.
Please tell your customer that we know his issue and we are working with this.
And I think with upcoming upgrade of App, this can be solved.

My vendor added the following:
I am having issues with BlackVue WIFI devices with customers with latest Android phone. Interestingly, Korean Samsung Note3/S4 owners don't seem to have this issue. VicoVation is now facing wifi error and I am confident that they will resolve this matter very quickly. I apologize for the trouble. However, please do not downgrade your firmware. Please let me know any questions.

@tofurkey
I had a feeling that was the issue. Same thing with my Galaxy S4 Korean S4s worked and US ones did not until JazJon got in contact with them.
You can still use the camera though. Back before my S4 worked i grabbed a family members iPod touch to aim it and just pulled the memory card to archive footage.

Some good news. My wireless carrier pushed out the Android 4.3 upgrade to my phone today and the VicoViewer app found my camera just now. The connection wasn't that stable, but it worked long enough for me to get the position figured out to mount the camera and change the settings to how I wanted them.

@JazJon In response to your email to me Jon, I am in the UK and my phone is the HTC one running android 4.3.
The phone is not recognising the WF1 in wifi mode. If anyone else has had this problem with the same phone and solved it then please get in touch as this is driving me mad.
In all the reviews I've read and watched online before deciding to purchase this noneof them reported this seemingly common problem!

@JazJon In response to your email to me Jon, I am in the UK and my phone is the HTC one running android 4.3.
The phone is not recognising the WF1 in wifi mode. If anyone else has had this problem with the same phone and solved it then please get in touch as this is driving me mad.
In all the reviews I've read and watched online before deciding to purchase this noneof them reported this seemingly common problem!
Garry, may I ask what you mean by 'not recognising the WF1 in WiFi mode'? Do you mean that the WF1 does not show up in your list of WiFi hotspots in your phone?

Yes, that's correct, the WF1 doesn't show up on my phone.

Yes, that's correct, the WF1 doesn't show up on my phone.
OK, then - so please bear with me if you've already done all of the following or JazJon already covered this with you, I just want to make sure we have covered the basics. First, have you ever succeeded in getting it to work? Second, is the WF1 plugged in using a 12v source and the supplied cigarette lighter adapter (i.e., in the car, not to your computer using the mini USB)? Third, once plugged in, does the WF1 voice prompt state 'System Loading', and then 'Recording Started'? Fourth, you need to wait (and keep scanning for hotspots, although your phone should do this automatically) for about 20-30 seconds before the WF1 will show up - do you do this?

@JayTee, Hi thanks for your response,now this is a strange one, my android phone doesn't show the wifi in my wifes car ( Citroen C1), but it does in my car although when connecting to the app its very unstable, my wifes iPhone is fine in both cars!!

Anyway, its all working which is the main thing, thanks very much for your assistance

@JayTee, Hi thanks for your response,now this is a strange one, my android phone doesn't show the wifi in my wifes car ( Citroen C1), but it does in my car although when connecting to the app its very unstable, my wifes iPhone is fine in both cars!!

Anyway, its all working which is the main thing, thanks very much for your assistance
Glad to help, that's what we're here for! :) That connection issue is odd, as the car shouldn't make a difference of course as long as the WF1 is getting power and operating normally. Now that you're up and running you might want to check to make sure you have the latest firmware in your WF1 (1.51) and the latest version of the VicoViewer app (1.1.7). If you do, you'll note that you have options for setting the availability of the WiFi - I have mine turned off, which means I have to press the button on the WF1 for two seconds to activate the WiFi (this also disables the Lane Departure Warning feature, which I don't use). I do note some mention of unstable WiFi in the Android Play Store reviews, but I am running 4.3 on my Galaxy Note II and have had no problems at all - the signal is very strong. Note as well that it seems you have to play a video before saving it to your phone (or at least, it saves much faster if you do). Anyway, again, glad to see you have it sorted more or less, and any other questions don't hesitate! :)

I should add that in my phone, I have turned off 'Auto Network Switch' - you might try this as well to see if that helps. Go to Settings - WiFi - Advanced - Auto Network Switch' and uncheck the box beside it. I have also unchecked 'Scanning always available'.

Back