2 single lens dash cams instead of a dual one?

Jassi450

Reaction score
Country
Zimbabwe
hi

it states here: http://dashcamtalk.com/

...If you are considering a dual lens camera, you may want to consider 2 single lens dash cams instead...

how can that be done when I only have one source of power... the 12 volt lighter power supplier ?

No each gets 12v, they are wired in parallel, yes current draw will be double with two cameras.

No each gets 12v, they are wired in parallel, yes current draw will be double with two cameras.
I'm afraid to do such a thing.... afraid it can wear my car battery in some way.... shorten it's life span or something like that

I'm afraid to do such a thing.... afraid it can wear my car battery in some way.... shorten it's life span or something like that

It doesnt matter if you buy one 2ch dash cam system or two separate 1ch ones, - the power consumption will be higher than using only 1 cam.

Allso power consumption dont matter when the car is running, atleast not if the generator on the car is working.
The generator should generate ample of power to both charge the battery, and rund your AC and all other Things that use power in the car while driving.
Here in Denmark the law say we have to drive with our light on even in daytime, this is allso no problem for the generator and battery to handle.

A single headlight bulp on a car is usioally 50 - 60 watt, and my own lukas camera is only 2.5 watt when recording.
The bulp in the cabin light in the roof of your car is proberly around 5 watt.

Please don't worry. There is no issue when drawing power for a dash cam through your 12v socket when you are driving. The main risk to your battery (assuming your car's alternator is serviceable) is leaving the camera(s) powered when the engine is switched off.
There are some cameras which have circuitry which turns off the camera when your battery voltage drops to a level, which you can set up.
Dash cameras use very little power relative to other electrical equipment on your car. Rear screen heaters are particularly heavy on current.

I have a Back up camera, a Vico TF2, and a cell phone charger plugged into something like Jazzist posted. I also have a CB Radio and Radio scanner to listen to the HAM band wired into my car permanently.

I have something like this hard wired into my car except with a front power switch because behind is blocked. I then leave my Back up Camera, Phone Charger, and TF2 pluged in all the time so i don't wear out the plugs pulling and pushing and just flip the switch. Sometimes i plug a Vico WF1 in and stick it on my rear window and unplug the phone charger.

As long as you don't forget to flip the switch you should be okay. If my car has not blown something yet I am sure you will be fine with two cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back