Big Lenses for the Mobius MAXI

Did you hold the lens or use an adapter?

With 1/3" 4mb sensors and 35mm lenses f/4 to f/8 and 300mm seem to be the upper limit before IQ starts to suffer.
I have a M12 to CS adapter, and EF to CS. Then I have tripod rings on my 100mm macro, 70-200 f4 and 300mm f4 lenses. Plus a 1.4x TC.

I'm waiting for the IR cut filters that I ordered last week, which should arrive tomorrow.

Back again :)
Hooked up a 70-210mm Tamron Adaptall-2 to a bellows, and to the K-r and the Maxi.
View attachment 39269

I'll post a link, hope it works, click for full size.
28135143327_d343a8dfa1_o.jpg

If you think that's big, you should see the one taken with the K-r :)
I wonder if that setup can see license plates clearly. lol

JB,
With the bellows I can fill the screen with one number, about 6 inches away :).
The 100-500mm (no bellows) can read license numbers at about 1/4 mile.

Tony,
You need to post some pics with that 300 F/4

Mobius Super Telephoto - 1400mm EFL

It's been almost 2 years, but I finally got around to getting this big lens project going.

Prompted by my astrophotography hobby and needing to find something to photograph from my back garden during the lockdown, I've started experimenting with hooking a Mobius up to my Canon EF lenses, via 2No adapters:
- EF to C
- C to M12

Here is my initial setup, with a 70-200mm lens. This telephoto lens is ideal, since it comes with a tripod collar that supports both lens & camera. I also have a 300mm lens and a 1.4x converter if I want even more magnification.

1586126235197.png 1586126258621.png

With a multiplication factor of 7.19x, this 70-200mm setup has a maximum effective focal length of around 1400mm, and about 1.4 degrees horizontal field of view. My intended application is to shoot the moon, which has an apparent diameter of just over 0.5 degrees.

1586126356513.png

Last edited:
First go at the moon with my 1400mm setup:

The auto-exposure works OK when the moon is mostly within the frame (I set EV to -32). When the moon was over the edge it tended towards over-exposure.

Here's a robin in my back garden, again recorded at around 1400mm EFL. The camera is about 6m from the perch. The hedge behind is a further 1.5m away.

Last edited:
I have a M12 to CS adapter, and EF to CS. Then I have tripod rings on my 100mm macro, 70-200 f4 and 300mm f4 lenses. Plus a 1.4x TC.

I'm waiting for the IR cut filters that I ordered last week, which should arrive tomorrow.

Do you have any links for the adapter(s)?

Last edited:
Here's a longer video of the robin in my garden, taking nesting material to it's new home in my garden hedge

Wide-open, there's not much depth of field, although that's not a bad thing for a subject like this.

I'd like to try this setup with a GitUp F1 4K camera, to take advantage of the higher resolution and wider dynamic range of the IMX317 sensor, but I'll need to trim the F1's housing to do that.

Ideally I'd like manual control of ISO and shutter speed in either video or photo mode so I can maintain a constant exposure, but I don't think any of my M12 cameras can do that.

I wonder if that could be done through a firmware mod? I know most of the guys doing that aren't 'deep' into the process, but a couple of them seem to be c,lose to programming level and might be able to get something going.Your results look superb for sure!

Phil

Ideally I'd like manual control of ISO and shutter speed in either video or photo mode so I can maintain a constant exposure, but I don't think any of my M12 cameras can do that.

Well, it wouldn't be manual control exactly but if you can get auto exposure and white balance results you're happy with you can lock those parameters. Of course, I'm sure you know all about this feature. Maybe it might be worth trying?
I can't think of any other cameras other than Mobius 1 and Maxi that can lock on an exposure measurement you've taken other than a DSLR or the like.

lockmodemaxi.jpg

maxi_lock1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it wouldn't be manual control exactly but if you can get auto exposure and white balance results you're happy with you can lock those parameters. Of course, I'm sure you know all about this feature. Maybe it might be worth trying?
I can't think of any other cameras other than Mobius 1 and Maxi that can lock on an exposure measurement you've taken other than a DSLR or the like.

View attachment 51217

View attachment 51218
That's just what I need, thanks. I've never used that feature of the M1 so I forgot that it was an option.

I sometimes forget how feature-rich the Mobius is, and how useful those little things can be in the right situation.

Here's my latest super telephoto video - last night's supermoon at the equivalent of 2130mm, using the M1 attached to my Canon 300mmF4L lens.

Here's my latest super telephoto video - last night's supermoon at the equivalent of 2130mm, using the M1 attached to my Canon 300mmF4L lens.

I had a feeling you'd try a go at the supermoon. Great footage! From my mountain location where much of the sky is pretty free of light pollution the moon looked pretty spectacular on Tuesday.

Now that you know you can do this you should get ready to shoot Comet C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) which is already seen in the night sky and "may" shortly become visible to the unaided human eye. It has the potential to be spectacular, perhaps on par with Comet Hale Bopp or greater. I captured some remarkable images of it back then. Between the beginning of February and near the end of March, Comet ATLAS brightened from magnitude 17 to magnitude 8, representing a 4000-fold increase in brightness! Since then it has dimmed a bit but so there is some uncertainty but some authorities claim it could be one for the history books come May, possibly rivaling Venus in brightness.

Comet C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) may become a great comet

Comet ATLAS may soon be visible to the naked eye

Is bright Comet ATLAS disintegrating?

Wikipedia - C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS)

Now that you know you can do this you should get ready to shoot Comet C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS)
That was next on the list! Although those reports of it breaking up are a bit worrying.

Not sure if the 1/30s frame rate will capture enough light for a dim subject. At least when using my Canon with the 300mm & 1.4x extender I can mount it on a star tracker and take long exposures.

I had a go at Atlas last week, but could not find it in the moonlit sky. I'll try again with darker skies in a couple of weeks.

I'm sure hoping it's BIG and doesn't disintegrate!

When Hale-Bopp was at its peak people were driving around all over the place looking for spots to get a good view but from my deck and front porch and even at times through the big picture window in my living room I had front row seats every night. It was amazing!

Last edited:
Most celestial events are always ruined by weather here, i have sort of given up on ever seeing something cool.

Back