Dash - a new website to view and analyse dash cam videos

My 10 advices (for now) to obtain an useful site:
1. Make registering a little more easy. As first step maybe a nickname and email address is enough. (Your registering email is going now directly to spam).
2. Make some part of the website to be available without registering so people can see for what is about. For the moment your website is not working even registering so I cannot see for what it is about.
Video uploading
4. Button to upload video 1 (main camera)
5. Button to upload video 2 (secondary camera)
6. offer a place to input start time and end time of the video to be stored. For example the video is 10 minutes and almost all video is boring and wasting your space and interesting is only between 8:36 and 9:43. Avoid to keep long and boring videos by offering the cut tool. Most of the original dashcam videos are boring, only few seconds or 1-2-3 minutes are interetsing.
7. a place where to input zoom on the video in the center of the image. For example at 9:15:136 user wants a zoom so at about second 9:15 so the video to be zoomed for few playback frames
8. the most important is the image. Use less space for map and for GPS data show the biggest video window you can. Allow to watch only the video in a separate window.
9. offer synchronized playback when using 2 videos
Storage
10. offer user to delete which videos he wants. You can just hide the links and videos to not be deleted for 1 month for example because maybe the user want it back. Then you can ask some money for video recovering. ;)

enjoy,
Mtz

My 10 advices (for now) to obtain an useful site:
1. Make registering a little more easy. As first step maybe a nickname and email address is enough. (Your registering email is going now directly to spam).
2. Make some part of the website to be available without registering so people can see for what is about. For the moment your website is not working even registering so I cannot see for what it is about.
Video uploading
4. Button to upload video 1 (main camera)
5. Button to upload video 2 (secondary camera)
6. offer a place to input start time and end time of the video to be stored. For example the video is 10 minutes and almost all video is boring and wasting your space and interesting is only between 8:36 and 9:43. Avoid to keep long and boring videos by offering the cut tool. Most of the original dashcam videos are boring, only few seconds or 1-2-3 minutes are interetsing.
7. a place where to input zoom on the video in the center of the image. For example at 9:15:136 user wants a zoom so at about second 9:15 so the video to be zoomed for few playback frames
8. the most important is the image. Use less space for map and for GPS data show the biggest video window you can. Allow to watch only the video in a separate window.
9. offer synchronized playback when using 2 videos
Storage
10. offer user to delete which videos he wants. You can just hide the links and videos to not be deleted for 1 month for example because maybe the user want it back. Then you can ask some money for video recovering. ;)

enjoy,
Mtz

Thanks for your awesome feedback! I've written my answers to them below

1 - We are definitely looking at how we can improve the current "interest" sign up flow. I think we should make it clearer that you have only registered for updates on Dash as an early adopter and not yet signed up for the product as it is not out yet. But will be soon ;) . I don't understand why the emails would go into spam. Need to fix this.
2 - Got it about making some parts of the website available without sign up. Alternatively would a clearer landing page and possibly screenshots/video demo help in conveying what we are enabling our users to do in Dash?
4/5 - We are working on the upload button. Initially we will only support a single channel. But multiple channels will come :).
6 - I presume this is to enable users to highlight the important bits in the video. Is it still worth storing the whole video and emphasising on the highlighted moments (e.g. using thumbnails, or highlighting sections of the timeline in different color)?
7 - Zoom features seems to be quite important. We've put it in our roadmap to evaluate
8 - We are still reviewing the layout for the video page. The issue with the video taking the whole width would be that depending on the resolution you would not be able to simultaneously see speed and vehicle position on map.
9 - Definitely going to offer synchronised playback for multi-channel footage.
10 - Ability to delete makes sense. The issue with allowing retrieval of deleted footage is that (from my understanding) under GDPR if you ask for your data to be removed from our systems we really need to delete it completely... Maybe we could look at something along the lines of "archiving". By the way, how many hours / GB of storage do you think should by default be given to a user, free of charge?

These were all great points Mtz. Thank you for the time you took to thoroughly write them out.

Cheers,
Ed.
ps - I can see that there is no 3/ . Maybe you forgot to include it. What was it in this case?

I don't understand why the emails would go into spam. Need to fix this.

Oftentimes it is ISP's seeing mass mailings, so if you break a large address list into several smaller lists and send those separately instead this may not happen.

Zoom features seems to be quite important. We've put it in our roadmap to evaluate

YES YES YES! An easy-to-use zoom is of great value in trying to identify plate numbers, a very common need.

Ability to delete makes sense. The issue with allowing retrieval of deleted footage is that (from my understanding) under GDPR if you ask for your data to be removed from our systems we really need to delete it completely

Exactly. EU rules require complete deletion of stored data on user request. Sites which do not comply with EU rules may get blocked by EU ISP's which could be tough to overcome so you may as well integrate it from the start.

Phil

Hello!

We're making some good progress on Dash thanks to all your support and feedback. We will be releasing an early alpha of the product in about 2 weeks and would love to have 3-5 early adopters to try it out, of course for free.
We are interested in your feedback upon trying out Dash, because we believe it's got soooo much potential - that's precisely why we are excited working on it after our day time jobs and on week-ends :D.

If you could PM me I will get back to you and send you the invite for trying out Dash in alpha version once it is ready.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Ed.

We're adding some nice touches to the early alpha of Dash and fixing some bugs too. In the video below, we show some of our progress on Dash. We have fixed the sync-ing issues between speed marker and video playback, and introduced a new map arrow marker that follows the orientation of the drive (see map on right hand side of screen).

As usual, would love to hear your feedback!

Can there be an option of a darker background? Grey or black is much less harsh on the eyes.

So something akin to "Dark Mode" on Youtube and other platforms? Think it's something we can do relatively easily post alpha release of Dash. Will check with the team.

Exactly m8.

Hello!

Hope everyone here is well and safe on the road :).

Some updates on our end: we've been fixing bugs, improving the user experience on the video page, and working on our first home page, which gives you a list of all the videos you have uploaded to Dash. We're getting there and will thus be releasing Dash in mid-March 2020. Next week, we are starting a private beta to gather early feedback from our users testing Dash. I will directly reach out to some of you via PM to ask if you are interested in joining the private beta.

Also, we are starting to look at detection and analysis of events (e.g. harsh acceleration, braking, accident, etc.), which is a major part of our roadmap in Q2. If you have any videos of such events it would be great if you could share them with us. We will generate a report that could be useful for your insurance company for instance :).

In the meantime, I have created another Youtube video showcasing our progress.

Comments and suggestions always welcome!

Some updates on our end: we've been fixing bugs, improving the user experience on the video page, and working on our first home page, which gives you a list of all the videos you have uploaded to Dash. We're getting there and will thus be releasing Dash in mid-March 2020. Next week, we are starting a private beta to gather early feedback from our users testing Dash. I will directly reach out to some of you via PM to ask if you are interested in joining the private beta.
looking good, I can see how this would be really useful if wanting to share a file with an insurance company or similar

Also, we are starting to look at detection and analysis of events (e.g. harsh acceleration, braking, accident, etc.), which is a major part of our roadmap in Q2. If you have any videos of such events it would be great if you could share them with us. We will generate a report that could be useful for your insurance company for instance :).
this would be an easier task on cameras that also log the G-Sensor data to file, maybe of more interest to fleet managers than insurers but useful nonetheless

maybe of more interest to fleet managers
Why are fleet managers interested?

Comments and suggestions always welcome!
Not keen on the fade out at the bottom of the speed trace, you already have enough indication of speed from the fact that below the current value is filled and so there is much more blue for faster speeds even without the fade.

looking good, I can see how this would be really useful if wanting to share a file with an insurance company or similar

this would be an easier task on cameras that also log the G-Sensor data to file, maybe of more interest to fleet managers than insurers but useful nonetheless
@jokiin Thanks for the feedback. Do you know which dash cams have G-Force sensor? We are able to extract GPS and speed information from the video files, but not yet G-Sensor and other information like bearing. Do you happen to know any fleet managers? It feels Dash would be useful to small fleets who are not using full blown fleet management solution companies.

Why are fleet managers interested?

Not keen on the fade out at the bottom of the speed trace, you already have enough indication of speed from the fact that below the current value is filled and so there is much more blue for faster speeds even without the fade.
@Nigel Good point about the colours. I think the fade is too much too. We've also been discussing internally about having different colour tones depending on the speed threshold (e.g. colour becomes red-ish beyond 70 mph).

@edvision, this product is interesting and seems to have good potential, especially as you continue to refine it and add features but what is the projected cost to use this service?
@Dashmellow thanks for the feedback! We are not currently looking at monetisation from individual users. Our aim is to always offer a generous free tier with hours of video storage and other useful features. We are however exploring subscription models with fleets and other organisations in transportation/mobility sector.

@Nigel Good point about the colours. I think the fade is too much too. We've also been discussing internally about having different colour tones depending on the speed threshold (e.g. colour becomes red-ish beyond 70 mph).
Just put a red grid line across the graph at 70 if 70 is an important value.

You could have the fill go towards red for rate of acceleration and towards blue for deceleration with green for steady, if you want a more colourful graph, although that is unlikely to be useful. Maybe more useful would be to have the traces from multiple files for the same journey in different colours so that a fleet manager could compare the speeds used by one driver with those of another, with the horizontal axis showing location (distance) rather than time as it does at present so that they overlay sensibly.

Do you know which dash cams have G-Force sensor? We are able to extract GPS and speed information from the video files, but not yet G-Sensor and other information like bearing. Do you happen to know any fleet managers? It feels Dash would be useful to small fleets who are not using full blown fleet management solution companies.
pretty much all dashcams have G-Sensor, not all log the data though, it's common on Ambarella chipsets (although they've fallen out of favor and not used as much as they once were) and some of the Korean chipsets, G-Sensor data would probably be more useful than trying to assess based purely on GPS data

agree it would be smaller fleets, big stuff they generally go to full telematics, that's not a cost effective tool for small players though and there's no real option for small fleets that I'm aware of

Hi everyone,

Hope you and your loved ones are all safe amidst the current COVID-19 pandemic. We have released the private beta for Dash last week and are still making some changes based on the feedback we have been getting from our users (thanks @jokiin !!). I just wanted to share with you a video that shows the whole end-to-end flow including login + video upload + video page:

What we are working on right now is the ability to share a video with anyone (the user does not need be logged in to Dash). We'll keep you updated once we have implemented this, and of course we will announce to everyone once Dash is out :D!!

Stay safe everyone!

Hi everyone,

We just sent out an update email to our subscribers and I also wanted to personally share with you some of the progress we have been making on Dash over the last few challenging weeks. We are coming out of our private beta now and will be launching Dash in the next ~2 weeks.

We are continuously improving Dash and have been fixing bugs, adding more information (like summary average speed and distance travelled in a video in miles or kilometers), and improving the user interface: we will now display a thumbnail in the home/list page for all your uploaded videos. Additionally, you can now also add title and description to your videos.

Last but not least, we recently got video sharing functionality working!! :cool: I will soon post an example of a video shared so that you can try out Dash without signing in and share your thoughts ;) . I've also recorded a video update on Youtube where I walk you through some of the improvements we have been making in Dash.

Next up for us is to improve the experience around video upload and generally make Dash much more awesome. Any questions let me know on this thread or via DM.

Have a great week and stay safe!

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to inform you that we have launched our new landing page for Dash - https://getdash.ai . Feedback welcome, as usual.

As a bonus, since we now have implemented the ability to share videos with even non-Dash users, you can now see for yourselves what Dash looks like (it's evolving fast) without even being logged in :D.

We are now about 7-10 days away from the public beta launch for Dash. We'd definitely love for you all to try out the platform and let us know what you think.

Stay safe and all the best.

Back