Dash Cam Features? Auto-power on, loop, etc

rdash

Reaction score
Howdy.

I've been looking for a good dash cam for a while. However, it seems a lot of them do not support a few basic features that I think should be mandatory. I was wondering if those of you with experience wouldnt mind chiming in here. This question is about the top dash cams in general but based on the reviews I think I especially want to know the answer to these questions about the ITB-100HD.

The two main features I am looking for besides day/night quality are:

1) that the dash cam automatically powers on when the cars starts or ignition is on. I guess if it records 24/7 too.. This may be acceptable as well.

2) the video automatically loops/overwrites older video. I don't want to have to take out and clear the memory card All the time.

I really like the GoPro but thh have no plans to auto overwrite older video. I wish they'd add this feature.

Does anyone mind sharing about those two items ?

Thanks

rdash said:
Howdy.

I've been looking for a good dash cam for a while. However, it seems a lot of them do not support a few basic features that I think should be mandatory. I was wondering if those of you with experience wouldnt mind chiming in here. This question is about the top dash cams in general but based on the reviews I think I especially want to know the answer to these questions about the ITB-100HD.

The two main features I am looking for besides day/night quality are:

1) that the dash cam automatically powers on when the cars starts or ignition is on. I guess if it records 24/7 too.. This may be acceptable as well.

2) the video automatically loops/overwrites older video. I don't want to have to take out and clear the memory card All the time.

I really like the GoPro but thh have no plans to auto overwrite older video. I wish they'd add this feature.

Does anyone mind sharing about those two items ?

Thanks

Hi rdash,

The 2 features you are asking about are available on all 20+ cameras on our Dash Cam Comparison Page including the Itronics ITB-100HD. Really, I think all dash cams should at the minimum have those 2 features. I believe the new GoPro Hero 3 will have the looping feature but I am not sure of the auto start and stop.

Dash Cam Man

Thanks - I have a couple follow on questions on the ITB-100HD that I can't definitively find at this point. It seems all of the sellers on eBay try to get you to look at/but the BLACKVUE DR400G-HD II. I am guessing this is because it costs more and makes them a bit more cash. However, it seems from here and a few other places that that ITB-100HD has better reviews.

Dream seller seems to be the cheapest now:

www.ebay.com/itm/ITRONICS-ITB-100HD-2-U ... 3ccbee6be6

^^ Still tries to get you to look @ the DR400G II. When looking at the DR400G II .. I notice it lists a few features I can't find mention of on the ITB-100HD:

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BlackVue-DR ... 4abaa5ef57)

- Standard recording
- Impact-sensitive recording (shock sensor)
- Motion activated recording

The last two being useful in the case of parking your car. Someone bumps you or comes to steal something. Does the ITB-100HD have these features? Knowing they do exist in some of these cameras makes me definitely really want said features.

Also, tangentially related and not necessarily overly relevant, but Apple-CT has some strangeness too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITRONICS-ITB-10 ... 3ccbee6be6

This is their auction for buying 2 ITB-100HD units. They sell them individually for $173. If you buy two it's $382.99. For the lazy... 173*2 = $346. Why would it cost $40 more to get a second one. Very odd. Also, the picture of all the boxes in their auction is of the DR400G.

Lastly, I e-mailed GoPro about the Hero 3 to find out and confirm loop recording and asked about auto-start/stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
rdash said:
Thanks - I have a couple follow on questions on the ITB-100HD that I can't definitively find at this point. It seems all of the sellers on eBay try to get you to look at/but the BLACKVUE DR400G-HD II. I am guessing this is because it costs more and makes them a bit more cash. However, it seems from here and a few other places that that ITB-100HD has better reviews.

Dream seller seems to be the cheapest now:

^^ Still tries to get you to look @ the DR400G II. When looking at the DR400G II .. I notice it lists a few features I can't find mention of on the ITB-100HD:

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BlackVue-DR ... 4abaa5ef57)

- Standard recording

The last two being useful in the case of parking your car. Someone bumps you or comes to steal something. Does the ITB-100HD have these features? Knowing they do exist in some of these cameras makes me definitely really want said features.

Also, tangentially related and not necessarily overly relevant, but Apple-CT has some strangeness too:

This is their auction for buying 2 ITB-100HD units. They sell them individually for $173. If you buy two it's $382.99. For the lazy... 173*2 = $346. Why would it cost $40 more to get a second one. Very odd. Also, the picture of all the boxes in their auction is of the DR400G.

Lastly, I e-mailed GoPro about the Hero 3 to find out and confirm loop recording and asked about auto-start/stop.

The Blackvue is higher priced and they are likely making more money on it. It is not a bad camera at all but there have been early issues noted with the Blackvue.

The Itronics has this as well:

- Standard recording

Check out the manual on Itronics ITB-100HD page to see how it works.

For the price differences, some come with standard shipping others come with expedited shipping. That is the primary reason for the $20+ difference per camera.

Dash Cam Man

Last edited by a moderator:
Back