DOD GS600 Replacement battery source

merlin

Reaction score
I have one of these which is nuking the microSD cards because apparently the 3.7v 40mAh battery is dead. I'm having trouble finding a replacement. Anyone know a good source?

merlin said:
I have one of these which is nuking the microSD cards because apparently the 3.7v 40mAh battery is dead. I'm having trouble finding a replacement. Anyone know a good source?

Hi merlin,

The best place to purchase these batteries is eBay. Typically people replace the battery with a higher capacity one. Note that the maximum space available for the battery is 35x17x5.5mm.

Here are some options:

3.7v 90mAh on eBay (21x12x4mm)

3.7v 120mAh on eBay (30x11.5.5mm)

3.7v 150 mAh on eBay (30x12x5mm)

3.7v 180mAh on eBay (35x12x5mm)

Note the higher capacity batteries are larger and might be a tight fit / not fit in the case.

Dash Cam Man

Thanks for the links Dash Cam Man. I was hoping to avoid getting it off Ebay because Australia Post regard these batteries as dangerous goods and refuse to delivery them if detected. Stuff from SE Asian tends to be scrutinized more, which is probably why the guy selling the 90mAh and 150mAh batteries, kadelyltd, won't ship to here. However, I'm tempting fate and ordering from your second link.

merlin said:
Thanks for the links Dash Cam Man. I was hoping to avoid getting it off Ebay because Australia Post regard these batteries as dangerous goods and refuse to delivery them if detected. Stuff from SE Asian tends to be scrutinized more, which is probably why the guy selling the 90mAh and 150mAh batteries, kadelyltd, won't ship to here. However, I'm tempting fate and ordering from your second link.

Hi merlin,

Good luck with the order. I hope it comes though. If not, perhaps there is a local electronics shop that carries a similar battery. Just need to make sure of the voltage and size.

Dash Cam Man

I have a GS600 that seems to show a "No Card" error message 99% of the time, even when the power cable is plugged in and I insert a microSD card that is known to be working. Once in a blue moon it works, but that's very very rare now.

Is this an issue that would also be fixed by replacing the battery?

Rehan said:
I have a GS600 that seems to show a "No Card" error message 99% of the time, even when the power cable is plugged in and I insert a microSD card that is known to be working. Once in a blue moon it works, but that's very very rare now.

Is this an issue that would also be fixed by replacing the battery?

Hi Rehan,

I haven't heard of this "No Card" error before. I don't think the battery is responsible since it is really only used to close off files when the power is disconnected. However, I am not 100% sure and I have been wrong before. Since you can get a battery for less than $4, it might be worth it to replace (assuming you are comfortable soldering). You never know and you might bring your camera back to life.

Dash Cam Man

Yeah, soldering is not a problem. It's a little more than $4 because shipping to Canada isn't free, but I'll definitely try it out.

DashCamMan said:
Note that the maximum space available for the battery is 35x17x5.5mm.
How did you determine that size?
I measured the OEM battery and it's about 20x13x3mm. Even the exterior of the GS600 casing is less than 30mm high. I don't see how 35x17x5.5mm could fit in there.

Rehan said:
How did you determine that size?
I measured the OEM battery and it's about 20x13x3mm. Even the exterior of the GS600 casing is less than 30mm high. I don't see how 35x17x5.5mm could fit in there.

Hi Rehan,

The original battery is installed vertically like this.

dashcamtalk.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_08_GS600_3.jpg

When others have replaced the battery, they have installed them horizontally (i couldn't find a good picture of this), hence the larger dimensions. I believe if you want to install the battery vertically like the original, you need to purchase a battery that is smaller. The max would be 23x17x5.5mm (or measure the existing battery).

Hope this helps.

Dash Cam Man

Back