USB-C PD Doesn't work?

mentadent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
VIOFO A229
Has anyone else found that USB-PD will not power this cam?

It uses a USB C connector, but not USB C protocol.

You need a USB A to USB C lead to power it if not using the supplied lead or HK3-C.

Thanks.
I tested power usage and it uses about 6 watts if anyone is interested. Seems a lot.

2x 1080P + 1x 2K and a relatively high bitrate (for a 3-channel cam) = lots of power needed ;) Can't recall any other cams needing 6 watts though.

Phil

Thanks.
I tested power usage and it uses about 6 watts if anyone is interested. Seems a lot.
Only 2 watts per channel!

Also, the power isn't all used by the processor; the remote cameras use more than normal for remote cameras, something to do with the use of coax cable, so the main processor does not actually get too warm. Not too worried about heat, but might be a consideration for parking mode battery run time, although it is not bad per channel.

The camera doesn't get too hot but the SD card is burny hot. Glad I bought Endurance SD :)

The camera doesn't get too hot but the SD card is burny hot. Glad I bought Endurance SD :)
Yes, I have noticed that, but I'm not sure how hot the card actually gets, I think it may just be very heat conductive, so even medium hot is able to burn, almost like touching metal.

If anyone has a Heat Gun Sensor handy try the following :
insert 64 GB micro SD memory card and record in Parking Lot for 5 mins then aim sensor at card slot
repeat with 128 GB card or 256 GB ... be amazed at the difference.

Will a standard USB-C to USB-A 3.0 charge+sync phone cable rated for 3 Amps power the A139 with 3 cams from indoor phone charger or 2.4 Amp powerbank ?

Will a standard USB-C to USB-A 3.0 charge+sync phone cable rated for 3 Amps power the A139 with 3 cams from indoor phone charger or 2.4 Amp powerbank ?
If you make it a USB-A to USB-C cable, rather than C to A! That is, A at the power source end.

Yes, although not guaranteed to work, depends on the connections in the cable, and if it has thick enough conductors, and if the charger/powerbank outputs enough voltage, but I would expect it to work.

insert 64 GB micro SD memory card and record in Parking Lot for 5 mins then aim sensor at card slot
You had better go back and test the 64GB again at the end, to check the value, since the camera will take a lot more than 5 minutes to warm up to a stable temperature inside, and that will affect the results.

What is the difference?

What is the difference?
higher capacity storage size memory cards (chip density) get hotter...
16GB or 32GB are much cooler in any Dashcam, but they are usually lower grade with slower write speeds.
Another DIY memory card heat test is run Dashcam for 5mins or more then disconnect power and eject memory card into your hand noting the ambient heat, then repeat with different capacity memory card, the difference is noticable without a fancy thermal sensor.

Dashcams today need +60MB/s write speeds for reliable accident event video footage recording especially during the final moments as sensor attempts to capture more visually complex scene with parts and glass filling the view. There are many reports in this Forum from owners Dashcams not recording the final seconds but the power remained constant. Over heating camera or sensor or card or slow write speed or poor power connections or lens aim shifts wildly or camera falls off mount all these critical weaknesses must be considered in product design and style. Its pointless to own a Dashcam that cloned style of competition only to end up with a heavy toaster oven swinging on the power cable saying "3 channels started".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A A139 8
Back