Mobius Super Capacitor.

My V1 Mobius with capacitor is still performing well. It always saves the last file properly, and even though the ageing capacitor no longer keeps the RTC going for very long at least the file names are always in the correct order so I have many days' worth of telephoto rear camera footage to compliment my main cameras.

One day I'll buy a new capacitor!

It seems to be getting a bit harder to buy M1 super-caps. Some vendors are charging a lot for them and some don't even sell them anymore. Eletoponline356 doesn't like to sell them these days due to shipping issues. Last time I ordered one I bought a spare for these reasons.

Edit: I see Bangood is asking $12.99 USD for a Mobius 1 super-capacitor. They used to sell them for less than half that amount.

Last edited:
It seems to be getting a bit harder to buy M1 super-caps. Some vendors are charging a lot for them and some don't even sell them anymore. Eletoponline356 doesn't like to sell them these days due to shipping issues. Last time I ordered one I bought a spare for these reasons.

Edit: I see Bangood is asking $12.99 USD for a Mobius 1 super-capacitor. They used to sell them for less than half that amount.

Link goes to battery :eek:

Phil

Link goes to battery :eek:

Phil

Oops, sorry about that! I was in a hurry when I posted, dinner was ready. :) In the meantime, I just spent some time doing further searching and there are ZERO Mobius super-capacitors available anywhere!
Nothing on Amazon. (One apparently Chinese seller had one for more than $20 plus $10 shipping)
Nothing on eBay.
No Mobius supercaps available on Bangood.
Webbex may have one but that is not clear as their link doesn't come up.
Spytec is out of stock.

There is a supplier in Europe that lists them for sale but they are out of stock for M1 and Maxi caps.

Batteries seem to be available but the prices are outrageous. Some are selling for as much as @25.00 each!

Something's up with Mobius, apparently. Doesn't seem good.

Last edited:
I can understand the paucity of Mobius parts in general- it's an oldie which has been surpassed in performance long ago by almost all it's brethren. They never sold in huge numbers and that has to be smaller now. So I guess we're back to finding the caps and soldering a pack together for ourselves which is where it all began anyway. At least now we know what size caps to use and which brands to look for :)

Given their lack of success in newer models it can't be a very profitable venture anymore, and enthusiasm can only carry you so far without money helping out.

Phil

Well, they sold many tens of thousands of these cameras over the years. There's probably no other camera on the market that has endured this long. They are still fairly popular in certain circles. And Eletoponline365, digitalele889 and all the other direct Mobius sellers on eBay still offer a full line of all of their cameras, spare parts such as motherboards, lenses and accessories. If you contact one of the direct sellers and inquire about a super-cap there is a chance they "might" be able to accommodate you. ;)

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 7 years 4 months & 7 years 1 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. They’re only in use a few times a week in the current circumstances.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 7 years 5 months & 7 years 2 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. They’re only in use a few times a week in the current circumstances.

I just spent some time doing further searching and there are ZERO Mobius super-capacitors available anywhere!

Batteries seem to be available but the prices are outrageous.

Something's up with Mobius, apparently. Doesn't seem good.
Whenever I raise the issue, Mobius usually cite problems with shipping batteries and capacitors as individual items. They are available at their end, so distribution seems to be the problem.

I've spoken to Chris who runs Webbex in the UK. He doesn't have any problems getting capacitors in stock, so I'm not sure why there are supply issues in the US or elsewhere. I could make some enquiries.

The most recent test camera I received from them arrived with the battery unplugged - took me a while to figure out why it wasn't working! It was unplugged intentionally to comply with whatever shipping restrictions apply, which seems odd as they have never done that before to my knowledge.

I think it's mostly air shipment where the problem is. Webbex and the rest of Europe and Asia can use ground/sea shipping but that doesn't work well for small packages and the rest of us. Maybe ask them which shipping method they use next time you speak with them.

Phil

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 7 years 6 months & 7 years 3 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. They’re only in use a few times a week in the current circumstances.

Whenever I raise the issue, Mobius usually cite problems with shipping batteries and capacitors as individual items. They are available at their end, so distribution seems to be the problem.
I've spoken to Chris who runs Webbex in the UK. He doesn't have any problems getting capacitors in stock, so I'm not sure why there are supply issues in the US or elsewhere. I could make some enquiries.

The most recent test camera I received from them arrived with the battery unplugged - took me a while to figure out why it wasn't working! It was unplugged intentionally to comply with whatever shipping restrictions apply, which seems odd as they have never done that before to my knowledge.
Chris @ webbex is very good, plenty of mobius stock his website it in need of anything!

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 7 years 7 months & 7 years 4 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. They’re only in use a few times a week in the current circumstances.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 7 years 8 months & 7 years 5 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off. They’re only in use a few times a week in the current circumstances.

Just found this thread, didnt realise the mobius was still popular haha! Just a qurstion how do you know if theres an issue with recording with a mobius?

Yesterday I did the weekly check on recording integrity. The ‘newest’ Mobius had failed to record the final file.

I took Mobius indoors & connected it to a wall USB charger. I recorded for 10 minutes. The result was 3 x 3 minute files. No sign of the final 1 minute file.

Using mSetup, I formatted 2 new memory cards, also ensuring that ‘Power off Disconnect’ was set to ‘Immediate’. Repeating the exercise with the new cards gave the same result each time … 3 x 3 minute files but no final 1 minute file.

I think that the Super Capacitor is failing. I could buy a new one, but it may be time to retire this Mobius, & keep it as a source of spare parts for the other one, which continues to work fine. It certainly owes me nothing, having far exceeded my expectations re longevity, etc.

Yesterday I did the weekly check on recording integrity. The ‘newest’ Mobius had failed to record the final file.

I took Mobius indoors & connected it to a wall USB charger. I recorded for 10 minutes. The result was 3 x 3 minute files. No sign of the final 1 minute file.

Using mSetup, I formatted 2 new memory cards, also ensuring that ‘Power off Disconnect’ was set to ‘Immediate’. Repeating the exercise with the new cards gave the same result each time … 3 x 3 minute files but no final 1 minute file.

I think that the Super Capacitor is failing. I could buy a new one, but it may be time to retire this Mobius, & keep it as a source of spare parts for the other one, which continues to work fine. It certainly owes me nothing, having far exceeded my expectations re longevity, etc.

OMG !! Say it ain't so!!!! :eek:

Is there anything different about the original Mobius1 V1 (round LED light) that makes it not 100% compatible with a capacitor?

Mine keeps losing its date&time even though I always drive the car at least every 3 days.
I asked this question a couple of years ago. I believe I swapped out the capacitor in my 2013 original board V1 Mobius (with 6mm telephoto lens), but I can't completely remember. It is still losing time & date, and now it no longer saves the last file.

After all these years, I can't remember whether anything changed with the hardware design to accommodate capacitors, or if they were always supported from day one?

Anyway, I'm looking at replacing my trusty M1 + 6mm rear-facing telephoto with a newer model. Possibly the GitUp F1C with 6-22mm varifocal which I assembled earlier today. If that doesn't work out, I'll buy 2x Maxi 4K cameras to use one front & one back, both with varifocal lenses.

EDIT: Leaving it plugged into my laptop while typing seems to have revived it somewhat. Now it's repeatedly saving files on external power removal, but TBH I don't really trust it any more.

Last edited:
Back