Street Guardian Best Model

Dashcamuser567

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am considering upgrading my Viofo A129 Duo and am looking into other brands such as street guardian to see what the competitors have.

What is the newest/best model for the SG lineup? I looked at the compare cameras page and it's a bit overwhelming since there are so many more models under Products Page not listed here.

If I do upgrade from my A129 Duo, I would like it to be a dual-cam setup with built-in GPS using the same A129 Duo wires (if possible). I also use the HK3 hardwire kit on the A129 Duo.

It's a shame that there isn't any easy way to change makes.

One of the big plus for me and made it a no brainer was that my old Nextbase HWK is fully compatible with the A119 so I didn't have to reinstall a different 4 metre wire and remount a new transformer box under the dash.

It's a shame that there isn't any easy way to change makes.

One of the big plus for me and made it a no brainer was that my old Nextbase HWK is fully compatible with the A119 so I didn't have to reinstall a different 4 metre wire and remount a new transformer box under the dash.
Agreed. But it makes sense from a compatibility standpoint since they dont want another brands cables to impact their cams. Also its harder for me to switch away from viofo since I can easily upgrade to their 4k cam as opposed to a competitor

The Viofo hardwire kit is not compatible with our camera
So regardless of that. Which is the newest/best cam from SG now? I really like the idea of the DR cam where the recorder can be hidden in the glove box keeping it cooler and hopefully make it last longer

Im mainly just looking at competitors and how it stacks with viofo right now

I dont feel it is that big a deal, but then again i have been putting in and taking dashcams out for about a decade now.
It is actually also to be seen on my hardliner in some places, and the A - pillar trim, lets just say i need to pick up new of those as they are barely able to stay on now.

So regardless of that. Which is the newest/best cam from SG now? I really like the idea of the DR cam where the recorder can be hidden in the glove box keeping it cooler and hopefully make it last longer

Im mainly just looking at competitors and how it stacks with viofo right now
The DR was our most recent release, it comes with the hardwire kit anyway

The newest SG camera is the SG9663DR, but it is actually old hardware, so in that sense very tried and tested.
They might have something new before too very long, but no idea what they are brewing on.

I forgot to add, old hardware, but still very relevant, the new in the DR is it have both cameras remote, so if you want to do parking guard this time of the year, to my knowledge the DR is your best chance ( providing of course you put the main unit out of the sun )

The DR was our most recent release, it comes with the hardwire kit anyway
My fuse type is the Mini ATO Low Profile, does the one included allow me to change the fuse type? Or do I need to buy another hard wire kit separately

My fuse type is the Mini ATO Low Profile, does the one included allow me to change the fuse type? Or do I need to buy another hard wire kit separately
the fuse taps are connected with bullet connects and are interchangeable, just unplug the ones included and plug in the low profile ones, we can include those if that's what you need, talk to @Street Guardian USA about that, they can also give you the discount code for direct purchase

The newest SG camera is the SG9663DR, but it is actually old hardware, so in that sense very tried and tested.
They might have something new before too very long, but no idea what they are brewing on.
The next step for them is to go at least 2K in the front I would think?
This can be accomplished by putting IMX335 in the front and IMX291 in the rear or something similar like the Viofo A139?

4K is still a scam based on what I've read and heard. It overheats and is poor in low light.
Having a 3CH version of one of their current cams like Viofo sounds even more like a niche than having 2K.

Based on what I've been reading since I've been a member here, I think Street Guardian would be my preferred choice, but I'm still reading as much as I can and learning everyday.
Their customer service seems outstanding and I see someone with their logo helping users in other dashcam forums that are not even made by them?

SG have been sending me free cameras to beat on for a long time, and most often it have been a cakewalk, so i am very happy to be affiliated with them.
Going 2K seem reasonable, i have now had two IMX 335 based cameras to beat on and i quite like the 2K camera, there are also new 1080p sensors worth a look i think.
4K is also very much on the table not least from what people want, the cameras are also usable alright in my perspective, but it is also true they come with their own set of challenges though i would not call them a scam unless they are up scaling.

My last 2 test systems have been 3 channel ones, the first one was not a big success, but the #2 one the A139 seem to work quite fine if you stay away from parking guard
Both of them however are set up with the main unit sitting on the windscreen, so not ideal for parking guard, where systems with a remote main unit like the SG9663DR should be more suited if you put the main unit somewhere "cool" inside the car.

SG are indeed saving a lot of money on commercials with their strong online presence, and good customer care / service, and for about half a day - every day you can catch the company boss on here, you cant do that with other brands.
Just have to account for his location on the map ( Australia ) or turn to the also not iffy local retailers of SG products that are also on here daily.

X2 & DC form factor? (I hope, I hope, I hope)
In a DR body would be preferred for me due to stealth and also viability of parking guard like Kamkar mentioned.
Regardless of what it is, I will wait for it.

SG have been sending me free cameras to beat on for a long time, and most often it have been a cakewalk, so i am very happy to be affiliated with them.
Going 2K seem reasonable, i have now had two IMX 335 based cameras to beat on and i quite like the 2K camera, there are also new 1080p sensors worth a look i think.
4K is also very much on the table not least from what people want, the cameras are also usable alright in my perspective, but it is also true they come with their own set of challenges though i would not call them a scam unless they are up scaling.

My last 2 test systems have been 3 channel ones, the first one was not a big success, but the #2 one the A139 seem to work quite fine if you stay away from parking guard
Both of them however are set up with the main unit sitting on the windscreen, so not ideal for parking guard, where systems with a remote main unit like the SG9663DR should be more suited if you put the main unit somewhere "cool" inside the car.

SG are indeed saving a lot of money on commercials with their strong online presence, and good customer care / service, and for about half a day - every day you can catch the company boss on here, you cant do that with other brands.
Just have to account for his location on the map ( Australia ) or turn to the also not iffy local retailers of SG products that are also on here daily.
Maybe scam was a poor choice of word on my part. For me, it's just not there yet.
Maybe we'll get there in the future with better hardware (sensors, AV1 codec, etc...), similar to how 4K TVs were useless in 2012, but yet they're important today.

4K is fine if you're in a situation that require it. (Daylight driving only, in a not so hot/humid climate, no need for parking guard, etc...)
Other cameras also outperform them at night based on the comparison videos I saw.

Yeah the current 4K cameras do lag a little at night, but with my take on that situation it is plenty for me.
I just want the camera to log my own driving at night in relation to roadside - lane markings and traffic lights, and this pretty much any dashcam do just fine.
It would be nice if i could expect more, but that is more or less a roll of the dice with any camera, but yes the optimal cameras are more easy to look at the night footage, but pause or go frame by frame, and you will notice the more they do see due to a more sensitive sensor, well it is very little of that you can use to anything.

I think it play into the rather poor human eye, and all the extrapolating our brain do to make us thing we have a crystal clear 130 degree field of view, but reality if that sharp spot are barely 2 digit degrees wide, and going off from that to the sides or up / down and out brain start to work hard making us think the blur we see there is crystal clear.

It is sort of like my month long experiment comparing 2 similar cameras but the one recording 60 FPS, the times the 60FPS camera got a plate capture and the 30 FPS camera dident, well it was pretty much none existing.
So i had to revise my feeling at the time that 60 FPS cameras must be the next big thing in dashcams.

Back