Replacement for SG9663DCPRO

Dale Dasher

Reaction score
Country
United States
After only 2 years with the DC PRO, it's giving me problems. The lens is out of focus and a random beep has started happening (despite having formatted and reformatted and then formatted/overwritten the card with multiple SD cards). Mind you, I'm using a brand new official Samsung SDXC card, 512GB. Also it appears technology has moved forward while Street Guardian has not (most cams available now are at least 1440p if not 4k). I've always been kinda disappointed with the video quality from the Street Guardian and learned early on that I need to dictate the license plate of a vehicle out loud because nine times out of ten, trying to make out the license from the video is impossible.

I don't see many people recommending SG on r/dashcam anymore, so I'm curious what DashCamTalk is recommending these days for a dual-channel cam. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

After only 2 years with the DC PRO, it's giving me problems. The lens is out of focus and a random beep has started happening (despite having formatted and reformatted and then formatted/overwritten the card with multiple SD cards). Mind you, I'm using a brand new official Samsung SDXC card, 512GB. Also it appears technology has moved forward while Street Guardian has not (most cams available now are at least 1440p if not 4k). I've always been kinda disappointed with the video quality from the Street Guardian and learned early on that I need to dictate the license plate of a vehicle out loud because nine times out of ten, trying to make out the license from the video is impossible.

I don't see many people recommending SG on r/dashcam anymore, so I'm curious what DashCamTalk is recommending these days for a dual-channel cam. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I see that you've been a member for 2 years and this is your first post.
Have you tried contacting them about your issues? You may want to post in their sub-forum to see if they can address your issue with the problems that you're having?

My understanding is that Street Guardian has a great reputation for customer service so they should be able to troubleshoot your issues.

I see that you've been a member for 2 years and this is your first post.
Have you tried contacting them about your issues? You may want to post in their sub-forum to see if they can address your issue with the problems that you're having?

My understanding is that Street Guardian has a great reputation for customer service so they should be able to troubleshoot your issues.
I have, and after going back and forth troubleshooting, they're suggesting buying a replacement (at a "discount"). If I'm going to spend money on a new cam, I feel I should get something that's higher resolution.

Welcome to DCT @Dale Dasher :)
SG does high quality cams, but being built for Australia's heat they don't run the processors hard such as using high bitrates and hi-res sensor settings. For their specs, you can't do better but there are good high-res cams out here today. On the cheaper end the B2K does 1440P30fps and has very good vid quality for the price. The B4K does 2160P30fps but IMHO the vid quality isn't a lot better than the B2K; it is a true 4K cam though. Viofo's A119V3 does very good vids and is a very good cam at 1440P60fps, and their A129 Pro does 4K while vtheir A129 Plus does 1440P60fps. And as always Blackvue and Thinkware do feature-loaded cams with decent vid quality.

So have a look around and see what you think, and we'll try to answer any quotations you have .

Phil

Yes the new kid on the block wave have now faded for SG, but they still do well on the parameters of customer care and involvement.
It is also true that SG have not jumped on the higher resolution bandwagon, spearheaded by 4K systems, but also 1440p. But like with parking guard which SG also just started doing lately i think it is a matter of they dont feel that what they can do are good enough to warrant the effort, so they wait untill they feel they can commit and do what they like to do.
I can assure you SG are on the resolution ball too, and i think they are also working on things as i type, this corona stuff also hit them and have pushed some things back.

I am affiliated with SG as they often send me new products to beat on, but i try to keep neutral and not just "scream" SG when someone want to buy a new camera.
One thing i have noticed is that if you are a old customer, they are willing to offer a little discount for loyal customers.
1080p cameras are also still very valid resolutions, not least when it come to low light performance, newer 1080p sensors also offer more dynamic range VS the old but still popular IMX 291 sensors.

Regarding the beeping camera, this are in most cases a sign of a memory card failing, if you have put in a new card that should have vanished and i think the Samsung you mention should be just fine i have never found any SG camera to be particular fussy in regard to memory cards, but the brand do have some recommendations or brand / models they like to bundle with their cameras, and ATM those seem to be sandisk endurance and WD purple cards.

I even think SG are also looking into the smart aspect of dashcams like blackvue and thinkweare spearhead, but i dont think they are in a hurry here either.

PS. you can generally refocus your camera if the focus slide are permanent, with some basic DIY skill it is not that hard to do, plenty videos on youtube in regard to replacing or change focus on different small cameras that use the same kind of lenses like dashcams use, you can even replace the lens, but if it have just shifted a little, a few degrees turn of the lens and you should be good again.

Last edited:
I have, and after going back and forth troubleshooting, they're suggesting buying a replacement (at a "discount"). If I'm going to spend money on a new cam, I feel I should get something that's higher resolution.
I'd recommend the A139 2CH version in that case. It was on sale for 20-25% off last week so you missed out.
That's the best value for your money to get right now based on features IMO.

maybe it wasn't made clear in the support ticket but the offer of a new front camera only as an out of warranty solution is just as a cheaper way to get you up and running again as a drop in replacement, we also offer discounts for return customers should you want a different model, understand the desire for higher resolution as 1080p does have a more limited sweet spot where you'll get license plates, our 2K model is still a few weeks away so that might not suit anyway if you need something now, unfortunately covid did slow things down for us dramatically and all models have been delayed as a result, 4K is something we'd like to do but right now heat is a big issue in any 4K multi channel solution

I also wanted to add publicly as a service announcement & learning experience for all. The support ticket indicated a sun shield/heat reflector was used for a period of time. That is a dashcam NoNo since it creates a superheated oven space right around the dashcam literally baking the camera and pushing it well above the max heat specs for any brand dashcam. The reported focus shift is most likely due to the initial use of the heat shield/reflector. (along with pre-mature hardware failure) You'll need to remove the dashcam when you put up a heat shield, or just don't use one if the dashcam is left installed 24/7 for parking mode.

As the last post mentioned, we have a drop-in replacement option so you don't have to rewire a completely different product. (since this is over 2 years old) The latest DCpro+ has even higher heat-rated materials and components. (evolution of improvements with each model and or production) If you want to wait for the new 2K version, happy to offer a special discount as a long time customer. (but you most likely need something sooner rather than later)

O :eek: Those sun shields, while probably nice if you live in a hot place, then they have often been murder on dashcams, it is the dashcam worlds version of in between a rock and a hard place.
Good to hear some 2K goodness are on the horizon, i do like that in the 2 cameras i have tried with it, so i see it as a welcome perk.

Higher resolution are the future, but there is 2 ways to enter that path, you can drive onto it and own it, or you can throw your car sideways onto it and hope you stay clear of the rock face on one side and the abyss on the other.

Back