Recommend a dashcam? $100

Houda

Reaction score
Hi peeps just after a dashcam for about $100 Aus dollar, max 120. Looking for something that will show plates (obviously), record sounds at an ok level (plan to put these on my facebook commenting on the idiocy of the drivers around me), GPS and speed, date, time.

Any recommendations? I've heard the GS5000 is pretty good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261112279231

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Houda

Last edited by a moderator:
That one is a bit of lottery, some people complain of GPS issues and video issues. A bit expensive at $100. That camera should sell for $85 max.

Houda said:
Melbourne.

Apparently the GS2000 is pretty good?

They're basically just a GS1000 in a different housing, how good or not is entirely dependent on hardware spec which varies wildly, I can't say I know of anyone doing a higher spec GS2000 though, maybe it exists but I haven't seen it

jokiin said:
They're basically just a GS1000 in a different housing, how good or not is entirely dependent on hardware spec which varies wildly, I can't say I know of anyone doing a higher spec GS2000 though, maybe it exists but I haven't seen it
Yes, this is biggest mistake that people do when they assume that gs2000 is better than gs1000, and gs5000 is better than gs2000 and so on.
Those model number don't mean nothing.
Some way it is very funny to see what name the come up to after gs9000 ;)

Sabe said:
jokiin said:
Yes, this is biggest mistake that people do when they assume that gs2000 is better than gs1000, and gs5000 is better than gs2000 and so on.
Those model number don't mean nothing.
Some way it is very funny to see what name the come up to after gs9000 ;)

standard practice by just about every electronics brand you can think of is to put a bigger number on a newer or higher spec product, consumers just look for that, it's a reflex action these days to assume the higher number means it's better

Apparently gs1000 arn't the orange menu ones they use to be or those are extremely hard to find hence the gs2000 as they are the orange menu?

Houda said:
Apparently gs1000 arn't the orange menu ones they use to be or those are extremely hard to find hence the gs2000 as they are the orange menu?

menu colour may once have been an indicator, not any more, it's not easy to know what you're going to get and most are built to a price, when you have a limited budget though you do the best you can for the money I guess

One question and one question only I would be asking.
Which manufacturer did they buy it from.

If they refuse then DO NOT BUY IT.

Another lesson. Get what you pay for in life.

The good car cams are $150+.
Many fakes out there and many manufacturers selling copies which are clearly not as good as the brands that cost more.

Ask about the battery in these. Some supply good batteries while others the battery lasts a few minutes making it very hard to set up the options in the menu before the battery runs out of charge which means re charging and then re doing all the settings.

Many of those car cam led lights don't even turn on due to the poor battery. A guy on Youytube called Techmoan has done many reviews on these car cams.

Back