Advice on what Dash Cam to get

Henry

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi All,

I'm hoping some people who know more about this subject can help. I have done a search for a application that would suit me the best. But didn't find much.

Requirements:

1. I would ideally like 4 cameras Front Rear Passenger & Driver window's.

2. Motion Detector. (turn on when the ignition is off)

3. Discrete as possible.

4. Battery not ideal.

5. Good quality video.

6. Good value for money but I will pay for a quality product.

7. low maintenance. (i don't want to have to fiddle with them every time I get into the car)

Is their a product like this out their? what sacrifices will i have to make? I was thinking about getting 2 front and rear camera units, because I didn't see a 4 channel product. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Henry

Hi Henry,

Just small note: when you post any new thread, please click at the top right corner "watch thread" and chose "e-mail notification", - this way you see when somebody quote or replay to your post. Because you already posted your "concern" in other sub-forum and many members replayed you, however no answer from you. It would be nice to replay there to all people who tried to help you with their advice. But It's OK, you are new and we are here to help you to get to know dashcamtalk ;)

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/new-from-ireland.4736/#post-56459

Now back to more detailed answers to your questions.

Those days good dshcamera system shold have at least 1080p / 30fps ( 10-12Mbps bit-rate ), with good CMOS etc.
At the moment technology is too far from mass-production of 4ch 1080p good system. Maybe minimum 1y will take to develop it.

At the moment there are 2ch 1080p systems out there, but they are all so called "eastern-style" where main camera is bulky display and rear camera is descrete.
One example is Finevu CR-2000S

SO, you can buy 2 sets of that model, this way you will get 4ch system, but cost is around 800usd and of course 2 main cameras are bulky.

I have iCaro B4 system. You may see pictures with discrete cameras installed in my car HERE

I guess you are looking for something similar, if we are talking about point of view of cameras discreteness, right ? If so, then I can go further with my suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate your advice you are exactly the type of person I was hoping to get help from. I apologise for not responding in my introduction, but I was treating it as a introduction not a request. I thought I would keep that in a more applicable forum.

Your set-up is ideal, exactly what I'm looking for.

How do you power all your cameras?
What is your memory storage?
Would you have done anything differently if you were buying now?

I appreciate your advice you are exactly the type of person I was hoping to get help from. I apologise for not responding in my introduction, but I was treating it as a introduction not a request. I thought I would keep that in a more applicable forum.

Your set-up is ideal, exactly what I'm looking for.

Hehee, no worries about apology, just small tips ;)
Not only me, - there are many out here who can and will help you with their understanding, vision, knowledge, experience etc.

So, there are no 4ch x 1080p systems yet and there are no even 2ch discrete install / remote cameras systems also.
For nearly 2y communicating directly with manufacturers in China and some in Korea I tried to "sell" them idea in need of such systems, but still no luck. However market is ready for them.

Recently I opened a new thread just to get more attention from buyers and manufacturers to explain need of new way of thinking / approach.
You can read it here: VOTE! Future of DashCam Solution. 1,2,4ch Discrete / Stealth cameras, Remote lens,

If some manufacturer today pick-up development of such system ( 2channel ), then its going to take at least 6 month until it will be ready.

So, the set-up I have shown there in my car is iCaro B4, over 2y old ( cost fortune back then, aroudn 1K € ). It was high-end back then, but for 2014y D1 resolution is no good any more. From point of view of design, features, interface etc, - it still packs many interesting features that are not found on most modern dashcams systems. For everyday driving / recording it is no good, but for surveillance purpose it will work. however cost is too high I guess for you.

My advice is to consider buying 4x Mobius dashcams. It's packed with some serious menu interface, tons of settings, has good video recording day and night. It's my and many others favourite mini-dashcam at the moment.
So best if you take time ( 1-2 weeks ) of reading Mobius sub-forum. You will find a lot of interesting about it.

Few of my project of discrete install I made wiht Mobius in my car for front and rear:

Mobius 360° rotatable Magnetic Mount / Bracket with Quick mount / dismount
Mobius One-Hand / Move attach-detach +Power DIY Magnetic Car mount-bracket
Mobius DIY built-in into rear centre brake light

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you power all your cameras?
What is your memory storage?
Would you have done anything differently if you were buying now?

Direct car battery power.
32gb which is enough for D1 ( Sony CCD )
I would keep 90% of iCaro B4 as it is ( design, concept, most menu options / settings etc ), just would make cameras even much smaller and instead of D1 I would like to have them 1080p/30fps (60fps for front camera ) Sony Exmor IMX136 CMOS each.
I have a lot of ideas, but technology, or lets say manufacturers can not keep up with my dreams :)

Niko you are a fountain of knowledge, and i appreciate your time, how do these cameras preform with tinted windows by the way? (factory issue on the car and cannot be removed)
I'm going to dredge through your recommendations now and see what system takes my fancy. ill look into the mobius system thanks for your help :)

Niko you are a fountain of knowledge, and i appreciate your time, how do these cameras preform with tinted windows by the way? (factory issue on the car and cannot be removed)
I'm going to dredge through your recommendations now and see what system takes my fancy. ill look into the mobius system thanks for your help :)

A lot of this knowledge comes from DCT and Russian forums communicating with other members. So, "stay tuned" here ;)

For tinted windows need cameras with true wide dynamic range ( 100db or higher ) cmos like sony exmor imx122 or even better if it will be imx136, but thats future story.

Popular and prooven to be reliable AR0330 Aptina CMOS can also perform OK with tinted windows but only if video rec settings are manualy tuned to sertain windows tint %.
Mobius is the only one at the moment that has widest menu option to play with different performance adjustments depending on where you going to use it.

I recommend you to buy one Mobius B-lens + capacitor from joovuu.com (UK) and play with it. If you like it after tests, then later but another 3.

brilliant suggestion, one question tho, what do you mean by B-lens i cant seem to find it on that site? im still trying to get the lingo. thanks

Sorry, its "our & RCGroups forum" lingo of Mobius wide lens = B-lens

https://joovuu.com/gb/home/61-mobius-action-camera-wide-angle-lens.html

B-lens are slightly higher quality than A-lebs and perform a little bit better at night, so in your case of tinted windows is good to go with B-lens.

Also for future diy project of 4 x mobius I recommend to think about capacitor ( check mobius capacitor sub-forum thread )

https://joovuu.com/gb/accessories-for-the-mobius/95-mobius-super-capacitor-.html

and hardwire option

https://joovuu.com/gb/accessories/108-car-camera-hardwire-kit.html

ok thanks, you have been a great help :)

Hey @Henry,
Just drop us a message at www.JooVuu.com/contact if you need any more help. We'll always help where we can.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Back