Chipset Question

JDtime

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo Mini, Viofo WM1, Blueskysea b1w, Vantrue X1
I noticed some people saying the chipset in the mini is a Novatek 96580 but I don't see that listed on the viofo site. If it was posted its gone now. How does the Novatek NT96580 compare to the a119 v3 with the Novatek NT96670 chipset? @viofo @VIOFO-Support [B] [/B]

Last edited:
I noticed some people saying the chipset in the mini is a Novatek 96580 but I don't see that listed on the viofo site. If it was posted its gone now. How does the Novatek 96580 compare to the a119 v3 with the Novatek NT96670 chipset?
Right on JD,
I asked that same question, and I was told, "the main chipset is upgraded".
Sorry I'm no help.
-Chuck

Sadly novateks home page are pretty bad, or it was the last time i was there

Sadly novateks home page are pretty bad, or it was the last time i was there
Yeah I was trying to find out info myself with their site. No specs.. nothing. Lol that "the main chipset is upgraded" response to you was just as helpful as their site. Hopefully someone might know something. @viofo

Last edited:
This is interesting.....If I use the Duck Duck Go search engine to find the answer I get the following link as the first hit on the list.

https://viofo.com/dash-cam/263-viof...ghz-wi-fi-and-gps-logger-quad-hd-dashcam.html

The link takes you to a Viofo page which makes no mention of the chipset used in the A119 Mini but curiously the description of the link on the search engine confirms that it is indeed the Novatek 96580.

viofo_chipset.jpg

The one and only search engine.
Well close at least.

This is interesting.....If I use the Duck Duck Go search engine to find the answer I get the following link as the first hit on the list.

https://viofo.com/dash-cam/263-viof...ghz-wi-fi-and-gps-logger-quad-hd-dashcam.html

The link takes you to a Viofo page which makes no mention of the chipset used in the A119 Mini but curiously the description of the link on the search engine confirms that it is indeed the Novatek 96580.

View attachment 60834
The chipset is in the page's metadata. You can see it in the page source code or by using a site to check the metadata.

The chipset is in the page's metadata. You can see it in the page source code or by using a site to check the metadata.

Yes, it's in the meta data as the page description (and title) but since the chipset name is embedded in the page's html head, I wonder why Viofo doesn't list it in the camera's specs on the web page itself.
It would seem to me that many prospective dash cam buyers would want to know which processor is running the camera when shopping for one.

meta.jpg

Anyway, we now have confirmation for what chipset is in the camera.

Last edited:
Yes, it's in the meta data as the page description (and title) but since the chipset name is embedded in the page's html head, I wonder why Viofo doesn't list it in the camera's specs on the web page itself.
It would seem to me that many prospective dash cam buyers would want to know which processor is running the camera when shopping for one.
2 weeks ago, the processor was listed in the description on the website. :unsure:

2 weeks ago, the processor was listed in the description on the website. :unsure:

That's interesting!

Reviewing the Viofo web site I see that most of the cameras no longer reveal which sensor they use. The one exception is the A119 V2 which still features the processor and sensor prominently in the description of the camera.

The only camera I can find with the nt96580 is the 70mai a500s.. seems like all the 4k cam use the nt96670. Don't know the differences. I know the v3 has the nt96670. Don't know how it effects the vid quality between the two.

Based on this firmware, it seems like Novatek NA51055 chip is used
Just saw that myself right at the start of the file but it also has ref to nt96580.. So got me. I was just trying to see how the processor compared to the v3.. Seems the a229 uses same or similar chip set also.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 37
Awesome, thanks for the extra digging and FCC photos everyone. :)

Is there a good breakdown of the differences between and tangible benefits of the newer processor? I'm assuming it's just extra horsepower to handle the extra features like Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.

Awesome, thanks for the extra digging and FCC photos everyone. :)

Is there a good breakdown of the differences between and tangible benefits of the newer processor? I'm assuming it's just extra horsepower to handle the extra features like Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.
I'm so excited your doing research for your upcoming YouTube reviews of the A119 Mini & A229 Duo.
I'm like that lady in the Mervyn's comercial saying; "Open, Open, Open". lol
-Chuck

I'm so excited your doing research for your upcoming YouTube reviews of the A119 Mini & A229 Duo.
I'm like that lady in the Mervyn's comercial saying; "Open, Open, Open". lol
-Chuck
haha I'm working on an A119 Mini vs. A119 v3 comparison right now. It looks like there's still new firmware coming out and bug fixes being implemented on the newer Mini so I'm still wondering when it makes sense to do the review. That's a pretty typical thing to consider though when doing reviews of newly released stuff. :)

No good explanations or publicity info available, you need to be a customer to get much information out of them, and then it can't be disclosed to the public. It is not very exciting anyway!

The main difference between processors seems to be the number of processing cores, so as you suggest, the amount of horsepower. Some can only manage 1 video channel, others are happy with 3 channels just because they have more processing cores, some only manage FHD, some 4K, some 30fps some 60fps. Then some have extra processing blocks for image processing and AI type functions. Sometimes they do add significant things, such as better audio and video interfaces, but we haven't seen significant improvements for a while. More interesting is what they add to the SDKs, but like Apple adding things to the IPhone OS, new things often work on models going back many years. If they could manage to add a good HDR then that would be significant, but so far the results have not been very impressive.

So currently, the processor numbers are not very exciting, maybe someday they will be again, but not at the moment, the interesting bit is what Viofo manage to do with them. Someday they will add a new codec and hardware for AV1, and then we will be looking at the processor numbers again!

haha I'm working on an A119 Mini vs. A119 v3 comparison right now. It looks like there's still new firmware coming out and bug fixes being implemented on the newer Mini so I'm still wondering when it makes sense to do the review. That's a pretty typical thing to consider though when doing reviews of newly released stuff. :)
If you wait for the perfect firmware, it may be a very long wait!

Might make sense to wait for the next one though, they haven't been releasing very regular firmware updates this time, so there is probably going to be quite a bit in the next update. Most of it already works quite well though, no reason why you shouldn't collect some video.

haha I'm working on an A119 Mini vs. A119 v3 comparison right now. It looks like there's still new firmware coming out and bug fixes being implemented on the newer Mini so I'm still wondering when it makes sense to do the review. That's a pretty typical thing to consider though when doing reviews of new
Right on,
This was my first rodeo with Viofo (A119M) so I'll keep that in mind.

My A229 Duo review is tentatively scheduled for 8/21/22.
Thanks to the hard work from @RetroCarGuy530 and the rest of the guys that cam is pretty much sorted out.
But now that you mention it, maybe it should be pushed back a little.

Remember the golden era of Japanese consumer electronics from the 80’s when all the R&D, and Quality Control was done “in house” before the products ever hit the market, and they lasted for YEARS.
Nowadays every product is “rush to market” and paying consumers are the R&D and Quality Control Inspectors.
I feel like I should get a badge that says “Inspector #7”. Lol

And then manufacturers make the decision to improve their product by how many are returned / refunded, or worse.
Sorry for the rant, I just miss the old days. Lol
-Chuck

Back