Viofo A119 Mini - the camera changes the resolution by itself

jeicam

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hello,
My Viofo A119 Mini camera changes the recording resolution by itself every now and then. I manually set the resolution to 2K 60FPS and, for example, the next time I start the car in an hour/second day the resolution is already 30 FPS.

The camera has the latest software (the ones with HDR), but this is not due to HDR (at other hours also the resolution changes by itself...).

The camera is connected via the original Viofo Hardware KIT to the car's fuses.

This is terribly annoying, I constantly have to verify myself if the camera is recording in 60FPS....

Is it possible to do something about it...?

Hello,
My Viofo A119 Mini camera changes the recording resolution by itself every now and then. I manually set the resolution to 2K 60FPS and, for example, the next time I start the car in an hour/second day the resolution is already 30 FPS.

The camera has the latest software (the ones with HDR), but this is not due to HDR (at other hours also the resolution changes by itself...).

The camera is connected via the original Viofo Hardware KIT to the car's fuses.

This is terribly annoying, I constantly have to verify myself if the camera is recording in 60FPS....

Is it possible to do something about it...?
I've been trying to replicate your problem with the A119 Mini V1.1_0817 firmware. So far, I cannot replicate a random changing of the fps value at dash camera power up.

HDR Modes
  • HDR = Off
    • This is the default value for the HDR setting.
    • I cannot replicate the issue.
  • HDR = On
    • The firmware drops the normal mode resolution to record at 30 fps even if the user selected video resolution is set to 60 fps.
  • HDR = HDR Timer
    • If the current time is within the time range defined for HDR to be active, the fps will be dropped to 30 fps if the "Resolution" setting is set to a resolution with fps value of 60 fps.
My suggestion to you would be to try and get a set of steps that reproduce the issue on a regular basis, document those steps / settings.

Back on 7-July-2022, I reported to VIOFO a different video resolution/fps problem. With firmware V1.0_0621 installed, the video resolution would not stay at the user selected value when it was changed from the resolution setting defined at power up time. This morning, I downgraded my A119 Mini back to version V1.0_0621 and I replicated my original issue. I cannot replicate my original issue any longer with production firmware V1.1_0817 and test firmware V1.1_0902 (testing adjustment to HDR colors).

Here's how to replicate the issue I reported to VIOFO with firmware V1.0_0621:
  • Power up A119 Mini – FW 1.0 20220621
    • Video Resolution = 2560x1440P60
    • Bitrate = Max
    • Parking Mode = Low Bitrate
  • Normal mode recording starts
  • Turn off accessory power to have the HK4 hardwire kit allow the A119 Mini to enter parking mode
    • Parking mode resolution switches from 2560x1440P60 to 2560x1440P30 (I’m guessing that’s expected and correct)
  • Turn on accessory power – A119 Mini starts new normal mode recording
    • Video Resolution changes from 2560x1440P30 to 2560x1440P60 (this is expected)
  • Pause recording by pressing the <REC> button
  • Enter the firmware settings menu
  • Select the video resolution and change the value to anything other than what it was before
  • Press <OK> to save the setting
  • Enter video resolution screen again to see that your selection was selected
  • Return to the top level firmware menu
  • Exit the firmware settings menu
  • Resolution for normal mode recording temporarily changes to the value you updated the video resolution to in the firmware settings
  • After just a couple of seconds, the video resolution reverts back to the value it was set to at power up time for the A119 Mini
I have a video that demonstrates this bug on my Google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15CkCSs7XBBNPaIWxgbi5CyKAtI4p7fcH?usp=sharing

I've been trying to replicate your problem with the A119 Mini V1.1_0817 firmware. So far, I cannot replicate a random changing of the fps value at dash camera power up.

HDR Modes
  • HDR = Off
    • This is the default value for the HDR setting.
    • I cannot replicate the issue.
  • HDR = On
    • The firmware drops the normal mode resolution to record at 30 fps even if the user selected video resolution is set to 60 fps.
  • HDR = HDR Timer
    • If the current time is within the time range defined for HDR to be active, the fps will be dropped to 30 fps if the "Resolution" setting is set to a resolution with fps value of 60 fps.
My suggestion to you would be to try and get a set of steps that reproduce the issue on a regular basis, document those steps / settings.

Back on 7-July-2022, I reported to VIOFO a different video resolution/fps problem. With firmware V1.0_0621 installed, the video resolution would not stay at the user selected value when it was changed from the resolution setting defined at power up time. This morning, I downgraded my A119 Mini back to version V1.0_0621 and I replicated my original issue. I cannot replicate my original issue any longer with production firmware V1.1_0817 and test firmware V1.1_0902 (testing adjustment to HDR colors).

Here's how to replicate the issue I reported to VIOFO with firmware V1.0_0621:
  • Power up A119 Mini – FW 1.0 20220621
    • Video Resolution = 2560x1440P60
    • Bitrate = Max
    • Parking Mode = Low Bitrate
  • Normal mode recording starts
  • Turn off accessory power to have the HK4 hardwire kit allow the A119 Mini to enter parking mode
    • Parking mode resolution switches from 2560x1440P60 to 2560x1440P30 (I’m guessing that’s expected and correct)
  • Turn on accessory power – A119 Mini starts new normal mode recording
    • Video Resolution changes from 2560x1440P30 to 2560x1440P60 (this is expected)
  • Pause recording by pressing the <REC> button
  • Enter the firmware settings menu
  • Select the video resolution and change the value to anything other than what it was before
  • Press <OK> to save the setting
  • Enter video resolution screen again to see that your selection was selected
  • Return to the top level firmware menu
  • Exit the firmware settings menu
  • Resolution for normal mode recording temporarily changes to the value you updated the video resolution to in the firmware settings
  • After just a couple of seconds, the video resolution reverts back to the value it was set to at power up time for the A119 Mini
I have a video that demonstrates this bug on my Google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15CkCSs7XBBNPaIWxgbi5CyKAtI4p7fcH?usp=sharing
There is no way to tell/repeat this problem. It happens in different situations, I can't find any common point.

The problem has been occurring for a long time and I don't know what to do about it. Is it a factory defect in the camera?

How does the camera rearrange the FPS on its own? After all, all other settings remain saved correctly after restarting the camera....

There is no way to tell/repeat this problem. It happens in different situations, I can't find any common point.

The problem has been occurring for a long time and I don't know what to do about it. Is it a factory defect in the camera?

How does the camera rearrange the FPS on its own? After all, all other settings remain saved correctly after restarting the camera....
When HDR is enabled by being set to "On" in the firmware settings or if the HDR Timer is enabled and when the current time crosses the start time it temporarily adjusts the fps value down from 60 to 30 fps. When the current time crosses the end time the fps value is restored to 60 fps (assuming the Resolution setting was set to a value with a 60 fps value).

When HDR is enabled by being set to "On" in the firmware settings or if the HDR Timer is enabled and when the current time crosses the start time it temporarily adjusts the fps value down from 60 to 30 fps. When the current time crosses the end time the fps value is restored to 60 fps (assuming the Resolution setting was set to a value with a 60 fps value).
Unfortunately, I've asked about this before.
I tried the first try by changing the clock. If 60 fps was selected, 60 fps was still left when HDR was turned off automatically.

After 60fps selection, when auto hdr is activated in the evening, it becomes 30 fps. However, when HDR is on, it turns off the vehicle and when you start it again in the morning, more precisely, in the automatic HDR selection, if the camera is started at the time you want HDR to be turned off, it records as 30fps.

Unfortunately, I've asked about this before.
I tried the first try by changing the clock. If 60 fps was selected, 60 fps was still left when HDR was turned off automatically.

After 60fps selection, when auto hdr is activated in the evening, it becomes 30 fps. However, when HDR is on, it turns off the vehicle and when you start it again in the morning, more precisely, in the automatic HDR selection, if the camera is started at the time you want HDR to be turned off, it records as 30fps.
I replicated the issue you described when the HDR Timer is controlling the HDR On/Off status and it auto adjusts the resolution. When you power off the dash camera while the "HDR Timer" defined times have HDR on and then you power up the dash camera the next morning after the "HDR Off" time setting of the "HDR Timer" it leaves the resolution at the 30 fps setting instead of restoring the user selected 60 fps.

I've sent a bug report to VIOFO about that issue.

I replicated the issue you described when the HDR Timer is controlling the HDR On/Off status and it auto adjusts the resolution. When you power off the dash camera while the "HDR Timer" defined times have HDR on and then you power up the dash camera the next morning after the "HDR Off" time setting of the "HDR Timer" it leaves the resolution at the 30 fps setting instead of restoring the user selected 60 fps.

I've sent a bug report to VIOFO about that issue.
I checked with myself what you wrote. Exactly the same thing occurs with me - after hours of HDR on, the amount of FPS does not return to the previous value.

Can I also report this to Viofo somehow, or is your report enough?

I checked with myself what you wrote. Exactly the same thing occurs with me - after hours of HDR on, the amount of FPS does not return to the previous value.

Can I also report this to Viofo somehow, or is your report enough?
I did receive a reply from VIOFO and it was stated that VIOFO will look into optimizing the HDR Timer feature behavior. I would suggest that you report this to VIOFO as well so they can see how many people are interested in getting this issue resolved.

I was given access to a test firmware for the A119 Mini which addresses the loss of the user selected resolution setting when the dash camera is powered off while HDR is active because the HDR Timer feature is being used and it's within the On/Off time period.

I've run some tests with the test firmware and it seems to work correctly - meaning it restores the resolution setting to the user selected resolution value when the current time is outside of the HDR Timer's On/Off time range.

I've not been informed of when this will appear in a publicly available firmware update for the A119 Mini.

I was given access to a test firmware for the A119 Mini which addresses the loss of the user selected resolution setting when the dash camera is powered off while HDR is active because the HDR Timer feature is being used and it's within the On/Off time period.

I've run some tests with the test firmware and it seems to work correctly - meaning it restores the resolution setting to the user selected resolution value when the current time is outside of the HDR Timer's On/Off time range.

I've not been informed of when this will appear in a publicly available firmware update for the A119 Mini.
Where can one get such software from? Is it necessary to write to Viofo? If so, how to contact them?

I would suggest contacting @VIOFO-Support or sending an email to support@viofo.freshdesk.com and explain your situation. I was given access to the test version, but I can't share access to that file without permission from VIOFO. The test version I tested is V1.1_20220919.

Little to many 5ghz networks showing no?? Shouldn't it only be two? 919 build.
I asked about this back when I had V1.1_0902 test firmware. It appears there are customers in Israel that have reported that 5 GHz connections don't work and that they needed 5.8 GHz support. It was stated that this was done in the A129 Pro firmware before.

Back