Do I need the GPS feature?

origin

Reaction score
Hi

I want to buy a dual channel camera (I really do want the rear cam too - requirement comes from a recent personal experience where a rear cam might have helped prove the fault was shared with the other driver), $$ not an issue so I was thinking of the Urive Shotgun. But it doesn't have GPS.

Does a dashcam really need GPS to be useful? I know the GPS feature helps with recording your speed and location but in the setting of an accident that is not your fault, are these pieces of information important?

Thanks in advance - your advice would be appreciated. Any other dual channel camera recommendations would also be welcomed.

A

personally I like to have the GPS info, I've only had one accident while using a camera, someone ran into me, it just removed any need for me to worry about recording accurate location and time/date etc as the detail was all there, just one less thing to think about

Hi origin,

GPS is a neat feature to have but not essential. Video is the most important in accident, but any additional data could prove to be helpful (i.e. less likely the video has been tampered, etc). Just to let you know the Urive Shotgun MD8000P can be purchased with an external GPS. Price is $375 from cool-guys on eBay.

Re: Do I need the GPS feature

thanks for the link. I've also found it being sold by apple-ct with external gps and 32gb card, a little more expensive than the other seller but he has better feedback.

A

If "$$ is not an issue" why not get all the bells and whistles?

Chad said:
If "$$ is not an issue" why not get all the bells and whistles?

like a dual finevu setup? :mrgreen:

anyway, to the original poster, i personally don't want my speed recorded. last thing i need is to be going 5mph over the limit and having that used against me when the accident was clearly the other guy's fault.

location should be pretty clear from the video. time and date can be set on the unit. not sure what else GPS would be useful for.

i ordered the urive a few days ago. got it for $275 shipped (no gps) through a private paypal deal. should be here by the end of the week if you want to wait for my impressions. I was unable to find much info about it otherwise.

tofu said:
...i personally don't want my speed recorded. last thing i need is to be going 5mph over the limit and having that used against me when the accident was clearly the other guy's fault.

Whoaaaaaa I never thought about that. Holy crap that's a great point.

Chad said:
tofu said:
...i personally don't want my speed recorded. last thing i need is to be going 5mph over the limit and having that used against me when the accident was clearly the other guy's fault.

Whoaaaaaa I never thought about that. Holy crap that's a great point.

if the camera is decent you have the option to capture that info but not display it in the video file anyway

Most people don't want speed on their video, so why GPS feature?
For sure if you have an accident, if the police came, they noted the location. If you have an accident and want to see the location we have google maps.

The only reason I see people want GPS is too look on a monitor how nice is moving a cursor on a map. After watching 3-4 videos, that will become boring, so GPS was paid for nothing.

GPS is something like 1080p, a thing that people want but not really useful. For example a bad quality 1080p is worst than a clear 720p recorded using a quality lens. A good quality 1080p yes, is good because adding some details if the lens are also good.

I have cameras with or without GPS. I don't miss it.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back