Useful tip...

Chad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
GS9000/F9 (junk)/F900L/V2000GS/V5000GS/Panorama 2s/Mobius
What goes up must come down....last year my ez pass and its suction cup mounted holder fell off my windshield and cracked a piece moulding on my center console. :evil: I know they're pretty lightweight (about as much as a dash cam) but I guess if something falls at the right angle it could do enough damage either to the device or the car.

In order to prevent this from happening to one of my cams, I always tie a small piece of 20lb test BRAIDED fishing line around a part of the mount or camera itself and run it to the mount of my rear view mirror. Braided line is very thin, dark, durable and will not dry-rot from the sun like monofilament fishing line. My cams are always mounted behind the rear view anyway so for me it's a perfect spot to secure the string to.

If the suction cup fails, or the sticky tape becomes loose (which happens in extreme heat) and the camera falls off the windshield, the fishing line will catch it and save it from falling all the way to the center console preventing damage to your car and/or camera.

A practical approach, I have customers that use our cams for Motorsport use and most clubs want a seperate tether in case a mount fails, even though there's not a lot of weight in the cam itself it could easily be distracting to the driver which could have greater implicatIons

Wow... What kind of ezpass do you have?? Mine is the size of a credit card and not much heavier...

Not sure what kind...mine is the size of a credit card but about 1" thick. I guess it just fell at the right angle and in the right spot to crack it. I was pissed when it happened.

Very good tip Chad. I wonder if it is strong enough to prevent the cam from becoming a projectile in case of an accident?

Thanks....I would think it may help in preventing my cam from flying at my head in the event of a crash, but I'm not sure. The are much stronger (80 / 100 lb test) braided line and they're all about the same thickness. I tie it snug, so there is no slack at all in the string, but I make sure it's not pulling on the mount. I figure this will prevent it from becoming airborne, then the string has to 'catch' it in mid air. Making it snug and as close to the rear view mount as possible makes me think that it won't have enough inertia to snap the string .... But who knows. Hopefully I never have to find out!! Lol.

In some accident videos I saw the camera remain suspended by the power cable and not falling. So even after a serious shock the connector still kept it.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back