A119 Mini 2 Test & Review PP

Another method that is a lot cheaper is using a chalk line level method (might be a bit tricky but its an option). see both suggests below.
Thanks for the reply.
I watched the videos.
I actually have a chalk line, and a laser.
However, I have no idea how you mean to use them to align each dash cam with a 50/50 road & sky split.
Do you mean put the laser, or chalk line on my garage wall, or on my windshield.
Sorry, I'm retarded. lol
-Chuck

I noticed a few minor differences in my testing @Panzer Platform when driving through a tunnel the Mini 2 was clearer. The original mini had a yello tint in the recording. Also driving around at night a few signs came out a lot more clearly in mini 2. However It seemed very minor the differences between the two of them. Mini 2 is worth the extra $10 in my opinion. But like I say on my video It is not a mind blowing difference like when the A139 Pro was released and annhiliated all other dash cams.

I noticed a few minor differences in my testing @Panzer Platform when driving through a tunnel the Mini 2 was clearer. The original mini had a yello tint in the recording. Also driving around at night a few signs came out a lot more clearly in mini 2. However It seemed very minor the differences between the two of them. Mini 2 is worth the extra $10 in my opinion. But like I say on my video It is not a mind blowing difference like when the A139 Pro was released and annhiliated all other dash cams.
Well look what the cat dragged in. lol
Welcome to the forum Ben.
Would you say the Mini 2 has better image quality than the DR970X, U1000, and any other dash cam on the market, (U3000 pending)?
-Chuck

Well look what the cat dragged in. lol
Welcome to the forum Ben.
Would you say the Mini 2 has better image quality than the DR970X, U1000, and any other dash cam on the market, (U3000 pending)?
-Chuck
The proof is in the video. I would have to test but if I was a betting man. I would be the overall video quality would look better on a Mini 2 than a DR970X and a U1000. I believe the HDR is a big difference and STARVIS 2 technology creates a huge gap.

Here’s some daytime test footage of the A119 Mini 2, Original A119 Mini, A139 Pro, and A229 on the front windshield.

1 .jpg

Here are the settings & firmware levels for the four cameras.
A119 Mini 2: 2023_0509 (2560 x 1440) 60fps Bitrate: High 30Mbps HDR: Off CPL Filter: On
A119 Mini: 2023_0420 (2560 x 1440) 60fps Bitrate: High 30Mbps HDR: Off CPL Filter: On
A139 Pro: 2023_0321 (3840 x 2160) 30fps Bitrate: Maximum 60Mbps HDR: Off CPL Filter: On
A229 Duo: 2023_0413 (2560 x 1440) 30fps Bitrate: Maximum 30Mbps WDR: Off CPL Filter: On

As an interesting side note take a look at the difference in file size for these 3 minute clips.
A139 Pro: 1.3 GB
A229 Duo: 674 MB
A119 Mini: 577.7 MB
A119 Mini 2: 577 MB

File Sizes .png

Here’s some daytime Highway test footage of the A119 Mini 2, Original A119 Mini, A139 Pro, and A229 on the front windshield.

Check out these screenshots from the A119 Mini 2, Original Mini, A139 Pro, A229.
I really like the narrow FOV of the Original Mini.
I wish all my dash cams were that narrow.

Mini 2 .png
Mini 1 .png
A139 Pro .png
A229 .png

The A119 V3 also has a narrower AOV compared to most other dash cams and it is one of the reasons I like it.
What is the difference between FOV & AOV?

What is the difference between FOV & AOV?

AOV = Angle of View

FOV = Field of View

Both are closely related but not quite the same thing.

I've been thinking of doing a thread about it. Guess it's time to do that. Give me a day or two to put something together. :)

I've been thinking of doing a thread about it. Guess it's time to do that.
I've never seen AOV used in dash cam specifications on manufacturer websites, or Amazon, it's always FOV.
Why bother? You're just going to add to the confusion.
Most consumers don't know the difference between Wi-Fi & Bluetooth. lol
I'm telling you civilization is getting dumber by the day.
I give the human race 2-3 generations before total collapse like Idiocracy (2006).

I've never seen AOV used in dash cam specifications on manufacturer websites, or Amazon, it's always FOV.
Why bother? You're just going to add to the confusion.
Most consumers don't know the difference between Wi-Fi & Bluetooth. lol
I'm telling you civilization is getting dumber by the day.
I give the human race 2-3 generations before total collapse like Idiocracy (2006).

Dash cam manufacturers use a lot of incorrect terms, a pet peeve of mine. I'll get into all that in the thread.

I guess we disagree about the concept of educating people, which I am in favor of.

I guess we disagree about the concept of educating people, which I am in favor of.
Don't you dare go putting words in my mouth mister. lol
I'm all for giving consumers the facts so they can make informed decisions.
The kind of hair splitting you're talking about is going to fall on deaf ears. It's an uphill battle not worth fighting.
Next you're going to tell me to stop calling my Open-End Adjustable Wrench a "Crescent" wrench.
And to stop calling R134a "Freon".
C'mon Mellow we need to make things simpler, not more difficult than they already are. lol
-Chuck

Oh yeah, my number 1 pet peeve for incorrect dash cam marketing terminology is "night vision" or "super night vision 4.0".
When I think of "night vision", I remember those 80's military goggles that make everything look green, and let you see in a pitch black room.
That's got to be the exact opposite from what dash cam's are doing. lol

AOV = Angle of View

FOV = Field of View

Both are closely related but not quite the same thing.

I've been thinking of doing a thread about it. Guess it's time to do that. Give me a day or two to put something together. :)
Don't forget to include HFOV while you're at it

Here’s some daytime Highway test footage of the A119 Mini 2, Original A119 Mini, A139 Pro, and A229
Thanks for your day & night comparisons. If I didn't already have the A139 Pro, I'd be tempted to get an A119 Mini 2.

Don't forget to include HFOV while you're at it
Mommm!
Tony’s bothering me!
LMAO

Thanks for your day & night comparisons. If I didn't already have the A139 Pro, I'd be tempted to get an A119 Mini 2.
So far based on my short time with the Mini 2, and comparing it to the A139 Pro what I’m seeing is the Mini 2 is better at almost every test I’ve thrown at it during night time, and low light situations.

However, during daytime I think the A139 Pro is more of an “even” comparison with the Mini 2. I think all the little 4K pixels are suffering “light starvation” for lack of a better term and becomes a hot mess in low light situations. Whereas the 2K of the Mini 2 does not have that issue.

The Mini 2 has the “best overall” image quality of any Viofo dash cam, (and any other brand) I’ve ever tested since 2018. It kills me the audio is terrible. I also wish it had the narrow FOV of the Original Mini. I really wish it was a true 120° FOV. By my estimation I would say it’s around 150° - 160°. And this is purely on speculation. I’ve been researching a reliable, definitive way to measure dash cam FOV so I can confirm & verify manufacturer claims. Like having a wall chart in my garage. But the only thing I can find would be to measure it outdoors with a 100 Yard measuring tape at a strip mall parking lot. And even then it would only be an estimation, and would only be useful in comparing measurements between cameras.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 2.06.54 AM.png
tape .png

I’ve been researching a reliable, definitive way to measure dash cam FOV so I can confirm & verify manufacturer claims. Like having a wall chart in my garage. But the only thing I can find would be to measure it outdoors with a 100 Yard measuring tape at a strip mall parking lot. And even then it would only be an estimation, and would only be useful in comparing measurements between cameras.

You just need a bit of trigonometry, that's all. :smuggrin:

Angle of view (in degrees) = 2 ArcTan( sensor width / (2 X focal length)) * (180/π)

This is the formula that is most commonly cited for angle of view, and it agrees with the way in which lens specifications are presented by major camera manufacturers. (Although not necessarily dash cam manufacturers who tend to often just make stuff up.)

FOV would add a distance component:

Field of view = 2 (Tan (Angle of view/2) X Distance to Subject)

Last edited:
Back