G1W-C or mini 0803?

Daemos

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm now looking to purchase a dashcam (most likely from foxoffer) I live in Brisbane, Australia, temps here can get quite high, but I'm going to try to list my pros and cons of both and I hope more knowledgeable people can help me with my decision.

Pros of G1W-C
No battery, good for high heat
Lower in price
has a mount that can clip to the rearview mirror

Pros of mini 0803
New A7 chipset + better cmos sensor (low light videos I've seen are VERY clear compared to the G1W-C)
Wider angle
Smaller

Anyone have any opinions?

the capacitor is certainly an advantage, that's about it though I think

So are you saying the capacitor really is the only real advantage? I've personally never had a battery blow up on me...and I use a GPS every day and pretty much leave it in the car...and it has never blown up on me..it even has a metal casing and gets extremely hot to the touch!

When are your dashcams coming out and how much will they be? I'd like to support Australian if I can...but being a North American expat...I rarely do based on the prices of things here being 3-5x more expensive here for no *real* reason what so ever other than the "it's Australia mate!" (ex...needed to get wheel bearings for my car + other misc parts Subaru dealership in Aus wanted $1000 for all the parts I asked for...I got it for $250AUD shipped from a dealership in Seattle, exact same parts, shipped USPS came in 4 days)...told the local dealership and they told me they can't even buy the parts that cheap.

if you were going to power the cam 24/7 for parking mode then batteries aren't suitable for the task, batteries do have a finite lifespan so would possibly give out before a camera with capacitors would, how long that is though is an unknown

Just like my GPS...It'll only be on when my car is on :) No point powering 24/7...

Hello,Daemos ! Same judgement as you , as to dashcam and the items money be worth for in general ....I have a Forester too , hence another commun thing... I am expecting new arrivals Mini 0803 and GT2S.The later I think will be expensive . Marcus 3 dissapointed me.I am waiting Niko , Jokiin and other competent reviews.Till now the best option will be Panorama IIS . I already have a Mobius,which is great , but I use it on my DJI Phantom drone. I don't know the reliability of G1W/H/C and I am interested in a good quality night video and a less eyefish effect too .I was warned on this forum about battery heat problem or baterry failure. I do not understand if a dashcam will work ,however, with a failed battery if that is permanently charged at car cigarett socket.

Hey maccardiolog!

Why did the Marcus 3 disappoint you? The price makes it out of my budget, I was considering the Panorama IIS....but I'd rather purchase something with newer technology than older technology. I hope Subaru parts are not as expensive in Romania as they are in Australia!

I have bought a second hand one from Germany ; it's a very very good car , better than others , more expensive and overestimated (off topic.....) . Marcus 3 is expensive and the video quality is not as high as expected . Why waiting for something new if the new ones won't considerably overcome the present ones ? Furthermore , I have studied a lot this forum and I reached the point that PanoIIS fullfils most of my criteria (price/video quality ,night video , capacitor , Sony component , upgradable firmware 15 - 18 -21 (!) mbps , time evidence , reliability , 64/128 (!) GB , Niko and Jokiin professional advices ) . The only thing I don't agree with is the wide lens angle and eyefish effect which distorts the image (the ,,artistic damage '' of the holiday landscape...) . But there are softwares in order to fix this . The mini0803 would be more discrete , cheaper ,its lens not as wide as Pano's ; we have to wait and see comparison side by side with another ( inclusive Pano) , night quality , at least 64 GB allowed . If there are not eye-sensitive differences compared to others , I would buy 0803 . If not , PanoIIS remains my final decision....

If you are looking for a Mini 0803, please consider us. It will be ready for delivery next week. For tracked delivery to Australia, we can can it at CAD$40.00 or not tracked at CAD$20.00, if you just let me know ahead of time to give you the delivery discount code for it. Either email me at kelvin@blackboxed.ca or just PM me here if you are interested.

Any one else outside of North America can also message me to get the best rates.

Kelvin

Last edited by a moderator:
Back