Multi-channel setup for a reasonable price

White Knight

Reaction score
Country
United States
This site was recently recommended to me, so I hope that I can get some recommendations on a dashcam system.

I'm looking to create a two or three channel setup that will stay on even after I've shut off the ignition, possibly hardwired to the battery. In order of importance are a front-facing camera, rear-facing camera, and driver side-facing camera.

The short version of why I want it is this: I'm a photographer, and I was hired to shoot an event that was broken up by police due to an underage drinker. The police didn't appreciate that I took pictures of them, and threatened to confiscate my equipment. I told them that they had no grounds for it, bid them a good night, and walked out. Right after I pulled out from a nearby parking lot, an officer began following me from in front of the event location, eventually stopping me for the violation of "moved from lane unsafely". The officer also engaged in unprofessional conduct by taunting me because of my custom plates. I was not guilty of the violation, but I had no video or audio evidence to back up my side of the events, so the best that I could do in traffic court was get it lowered to an unnecessarily expensive parking ticket. I also filed an unofficial complaint with the department, but I have no idea if that was at all useful.

Anyway, I'd like a setup that's good quality for a reasonable price, preferably something that cannot readily be removed without tools should I have a similar encounter at some point.

Two channel systems where both cameras shoot 1080p are now or soon to be available. In previous units the rear was only 720p. Present three/four channel systems usually shoot at 720p. The Marcus 5 would be my recommendation for a soon to be released dual channel 1080p system with excellent quality and video.

What you describe is a stealthy mounting, so size matters. On that note the Marcus 5 is a bit large to be completely hidden behind the rear view mirror. It is also easily removed without tools, as are most Dashcams. If true concealment is #1, I would consider a camera like the Mobius. The size would make it quite difficult to spot, it's inexpensive enough to buy three, the quality is great, and the remote lens option gives you more flexibility to mount it more permanently/ harder to remove. Also being a photographer, it could be used outside the car in your work and easily concealed. It's the size of a tic tac box.

... Mobius. The size would make it quite difficult to spot, it's inexpensive enough to buy three, the quality is great, and the remote lens option gives you more flexibility to mount it more permanently/ harder to remove. Also being a photographer, it could be used outside the car in your work and easily concealed. It's the size of a tic tac box.

CIMG6236.JPG CIMG6227.JPG

Back