Polarizing filter for DR500GW-HD

Heocon said:
I am watting the 43mm cpl filter and the step up ring 30-43mm from Ebay. I will fix the step ring to the camera first then the filter will be removable ( make sure the distance from the len and the filter is as less as posible ). I will post the picture when i finish

Won't you still have vignetting from the step-up ring?

No, i will check and post the pic when finish

mordred said:
Heocon said:
I am watting the 43mm cpl filter and the step up ring 30-43mm from Ebay. I will fix the step ring to the camera first then the filter will be removable ( make sure the distance from the len and the filter is as less as posible ). I will post the picture when i finish

Won't you still have vignetting from the step-up ring?

Why would you think that? The whole idea of using a step-up ring is to illuminate viewing the edges of the filter. The larger filter is as close to the camera lens as the smaller just wider. It's like looking through a pair of glasses. If they are wide enough you will never see the rims.

Al Drake said:
Why would you think that? The whole idea of using a step-up ring is to illuminate viewing the edges of the filter. The larger filter is as close to the camera lens as the smaller just wider. It's like looking through a pair of glasses. If they are wide enough you will never see the rims.

This is true, however based on the height of the step-up ring the lens may pick it up. I am referring to some of the other DIYs that have placed relatively thin objects on or near the lens and still have them vignette.

Hopefully it does not and we will have a solution after all.

mordred said:
Al Drake said:

This is true, however based on the height of the step-up ring the lens may pick it up. I am referring to some of the other DIYs that have placed relatively thin objects on or near the lens and still have them vignette.

Hopefully it does not and we will have a solution after all.

Good point. I have had great results with the step-up rings on both of my Lukas cameras but they are as you indicated, not DIY.

Who wants to give this a try? A magnetic filter for the FineVu. Will this work on our Blackvue?

http://amzn.to/12Qqcez

51gbrpUu0ML._SX342_.jpg

keeprunning said:
Another one (even more expensive, but portable): http://www.amazon.ca/GIZMON-FILTER-CLIP ... cpl+filter

No don't buy this, this is a cpl for a smart phones, I got one to fit it on the DR500 and you get the full circle on the image so was a let down, nothing wrong with this cpl itself just to small for the Blackvue, save your money this is not a good fit for the Blackvue DR500

Rumburak said:
Maybe the 43mm filter is the best, but it is very large and noticeable. I'd like something smaller and less visible. Next step will be the 30mm filter, then the 37mm, if I wont become penniless until I'll find the right filter :roll:
No doubt the CPL filter is a real advantage for the image quality. Even if it is not completely suitable, as my filter is, it manages to remove more than 70% of the dashboard reflections.
Therefore, I will continue to use it. Finally, with the CPL filter, my camera focuses not on reflections from the dashboard, but on objects located in front of the car (people, other cars, road signs, etc.)

Thanks for the great posts and making me realize I needed to go bigger to prevent vignetting (black border around the video image), due to the wide-angle lens.
I just ordered a Green.L 30.5mm Circular Polarizing CPL PL-CIR C-PL on ebay for $4.59 USD for my Mini 0801 Ambarella.
It was this thread and a few others that inspired me to try it myself!
Here's my DIY post:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2343
I also got a 30.5mm to 28mm step down ring for $1.99 USD (just in case)

Tommy said:
Or to avoid the hassle of improvised polarizing filters (since Blackvue doesn't support them out-of-the-box), you can use a black dashmat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xpZLeUyxaE (Notice the huge reflections to the right of the windshield)
I bought one and now I can't do without it, tbh.
The only downside, is that some people, other than me, find it less attractive.

That wouldn't work for me, I have gauges with silver trim.
nGKuAAk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone added a polarized filter to the rear blackvue 550 smaller dashcam ?

Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
erewhon DR500GW-HD 193
Back